It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A news bulletin on CNN declares a large hidden object 4 times the size of Jupiter in the outer reac

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

"The Sun is unusual, it's a solitary star. In most cases a protostar spins fast enough to form a double or multiple star."

Taken right out of my astronomy book I have at home. I never said we have another star in our solar system, just that it's odd.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I searched for the story that he mentions was in The Independent, I found this:

The orbit of Tyche (pronounced ty-kee), would be 15,000 times farther from the Sun than the Earth's, and 375 times farther than Pluto's, which is why it hasn't been seen so far.

But scientists now believe the proof of its existence has already been gathered by a Nasa space telescope, Wise, and is just waiting to be analysed.

So that is a very far distance away. One AU (the distance between the Earth and the Sun) is 1.5x10^11 metres, so 15,000 AU would be 2.2x10^15 metres away.

The main argument against is that Tyche probably formed around another star and was later captured by the Sun's gravitational field. The IAU may choose to create a whole new category for Tyche, Professor Matese said.

Forgot the link: Up telescope! Search begins for giant new planet
edit on 15/8/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by IEtherianSoul9
reply to post by timidgal

65 million years ago the dinosaurs were wiped out, then mammals rose to dominance. What if our end is right around the corner. Plus I heard that our Sun is odd for not having a companion, like most binary star systems.

Dinosaurs are all around us.

They are called Birds.

Also I am not sure "odd" is the right term for solitary stars, maybe "uncommon". I think the number is 85% for two or more stars but given the huge number of stars in a galaxy thats a lot of solo stars.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
reply to post by Neopan100

what i mean is its cut at the start and the end of the report.. so it seems like it is being announced. maybe cutting out the bit stating it is a theory or speculation..

I do agree with you.Kind of speculative since the whole clip seems to be edited.
edit on 15-8-2011 by Daedal because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I guess only time will settle this debate....

Either we are all going to die or we are all going to say see I told you there was nothing to worry about.

If it is coming our way and there is nothing we can do about it. Why run around and fret?

You should always live today like it is your last.

Smell the flowers.

Enjoy the sunset or sunrise ( your preference).

Tell those you care for how much you love them.

edit on 15-8-2011 by redzareptile because: I haven't had my coffee yet!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
As Phage posted earlier, this CNN report is submitted by a viewer...it is an ireport, not a thoroughly researched article done by a professional journalist. It's CNN's version of ATS and should not be taken as fact

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by IEtherianSoul9

Ok
I misunderstood your post then.. the way you worded it sounded like we were supposed to have 2 stars, and I agree with your book most systems are binary.. thanks for the clarification.

edit on 15-8-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
When Uranus was discovered, the search was on to find something else because the orbit of Uranus was not fully explained. When Neptune was discovered, the same thing happened - the search was on to find out why its' orbit was not fully explained. When Pluto was discovered, the same thing happened - the search was still on because Pluto was not massive enough to even explain itself. Sedna was discovered leading to more unexplained orbits. By the time of Sedna's discovery looking up was becoming a frowned upon past time and today it is still unclear whether Sedna belongs to the outer Kuiper Belt, the outer Oort Cloud or the inner Oort. So originally, the discovery of Sedna brought more questions about the Kuiper Belt which led to the Oort Cloud. The Oort Cloud was supposed to explain the comets with really long orbits and Hale-Bopp came from here and it was even thought that Halley's originally came from here before it became a short-term comet out of the Kuiper Belt. The Oort Cloud is supposed to have a disc shaped, donut shaped dense core called the Hill Cloud which is pretty darn close to the orbital plane of the solar system which means that alignments are possible.

It makes perfect sense that there would be a Tyche or a Hercolubus or a Planet X or a Nemesis or a brown dwarf or a red dwarf or an orange dwarf or a black acrylic paint gas giant to explain some of the goings on in the sky. It also makes perfect sense to me that the propoganda that passes for news these days would not report something that would only cause trouble for the mega corporations on the earth.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

Haha yeah I realized that after, my bad.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Helmkat

Actually, the majority of stars in the universe are red dwarfs. The vast majority of these are solitary. This then leads to the slight majority of stars being solitary.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by luxordelphi
When Uranus was discovered, the search was on to find something else because the orbit of Uranus was not fully explained. When Neptune was discovered, the same thing happened - the search was on to find out why its' orbit was not fully explained. When Pluto was discovered, the same thing happened - the search was still on because Pluto was not massive enough to even explain itself. Sedna was discovered leading to more unexplained orbits. By the time of Sedna's discovery looking up was becoming a frowned upon past time and today it is still unclear whether Sedna belongs to the outer Kuiper Belt, the outer Oort Cloud or the inner Oort. So originally, the discovery of Sedna brought more questions about the Kuiper Belt which led to the Oort Cloud. The Oort Cloud was supposed to explain the comets with really long orbits and Hale-Bopp came from here and it was even thought that Halley's originally came from here before it became a short-term comet out of the Kuiper Belt. The Oort Cloud is supposed to have a disc shaped, donut shaped dense core called the Hill Cloud which is pretty darn close to the orbital plane of the solar system which means that alignments are possible.

It makes perfect sense that there would be a Tyche or a Hercolubus or a Planet X or a Nemesis or a brown dwarf or a red dwarf or an orange dwarf or a black acrylic paint gas giant to explain some of the goings on in the sky. It also makes perfect sense to me that the propoganda that passes for news these days would not report something that would only cause trouble for the mega corporations on the earth.

You hit the nail on the head.

Economies would crumble and chaos would reign, they need to keep the wheels spinning right up until the SHTF.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

Why would they keep it a secret? Even if there were a planet or star lurking in the Oort Cloud (although there are better theories that explain things like long-period comets) there is no indication that they ever enter the inner solar system or affect us in any way. So, if something were discovered in the Oort Cloud there's no reason to hold the news back. In fact such a discovery would probably help the economy as it would bring new jobs in the aerospace industry.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by martianmallow

It has a lot of good evidence behind it, the only thing missing being the detection of our companion star.

Actually Nemesis had no good evidence for it. Nemesis required an orbit which was shown to be impossible. Nemesis required a cycle to extinctions which turned out not to exist.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Well, isn't that the joy of this entire subject. I've not only seen Nemesis and Nibiru talked about as the same object, but as two objects around each other...and as Nibiru being independent and moving on a separate orbital path entirely from Nemesis. Perhaps that is why it takes days or weeks just to get a fairly simple 'fact' established. One needs t wade through hundreds of sites of junk, compare most of that junk, then carefully sift for the nuggets that are truth. I really wish we had a Space Agency that served the PUBLIC and not it's own secrecy...we wouldn't have to debate these things which should by all rights be long established fact by now.

So..Okay.. They are the same to some..and not to others. Personally, I favor the detailed theories and scenarios which suggest the two are totally separate and independant bodies.

Of course..since we are calling out theories which may not be real...I'd have to bring up the fact that Nemesis, Nibiru or whatever we want to call it/them, have never been seen or evidenced in any real world way or any PHYSICAL sense. All theories, guess work and ancient texts gone through countless translations... In reality, we really don't know what is out there until something either goes to look or we get a clear LOOK at something which people say can't be seen. lol... Gotta love this subject..Oh yeah

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by XplanetX

I have edited the original post and added a link to an article by CNN dated July 25, 2011. The article concerns ELENIN.

That is not an article by CNN. Maybe you missed this:

So you know: iReport is the way people like you report the news. The stories in this section are not edited, fact-checked or screened before they post. Only ones marked 'CNN iReport' have been vetted by CNN.

ireport.cnn.com...

edit on 8/14/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I was getting ready to post this as well, glad you did.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

Why would they keep it a secret? Even if there were a planet or star lurking in the Oort Cloud (although there are better theories that explain things like long-period comets) there is no indication that they ever enter the inner solar system or affect us in any way. So, if something were discovered in the Oort Cloud there's no reason to hold the news back. In fact such a discovery would probably help the economy as it would bring new jobs in the aerospace industry.

There's plenty of evidence that whatever's enter or near our solar system. What about the 27 million year thing mentioned earlier in this thread? That was proposed back in the 80's and more recently taken up by the 2 scientists in the process of being wildly discredited in this thread. Or...what about recent times and the rash of long period comets coming from the same section of space. This is not of interest to you? Why this is happening is just ho-hum - another day at the races? Oh and BTB - they're entering our system - even now Elenin is here.

There is plenty of reason to hold the news back and anyone who actually lives on earth is capable of giving an endless stream of reasons to hold it back and not one reason to put it forward.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This subject sooo confuses me. Is Elenin a real comet?
If so it must be predicted to either hit us or miss us!

I have read that 9th of November it will pass us by (Phew), but..
we will be in it's wake. why is this bad?

Nibiru different subject I think, but lets just deal with the comets for now.

What is the truth... It bugs me that the truth is hard to Identify.

Can i have the above questions answered with cold hard facts, or is it all just too big a spiders web
of half truths, lies and speculation.

Thanks
edit on 15-8-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

When Uranus was discovered, the search was on to find something else because the orbit of Uranus was not fully explained. When Neptune was discovered, the same thing happened - the search was on to find out why its' orbit was not fully explained. When Pluto was discovered, the same thing happened - the search was still on because Pluto was not massive enough to even explain itself.

The problem was that the predicted positions of the planets did not match observation. The problem with Pluto was that it could not be the source of the Neptune discrepancies. It turned out that the mass of Neptune was not correct. The mass was off by 5% or about the mass of Mars. Once the corrected mass was used the discrepancies went away. The corrected mass was determined by the Voyager II flyby in 1989.

Sedna was discovered leading to more unexplained orbits.

The issue with Sedna was to explain the highly eccentric orbit, not the orbit of other bodies.

It makes perfect sense that there would be a Tyche or a Hercolubus or a Planet X or a Nemesis or a brown dwarf or a red dwarf or an orange dwarf or a black acrylic paint gas giant to explain some of the goings on in the sky.

Actually, that is not true.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by XplanetX

The post was way off target. The claims that large corporations need to keep their wheels spinning is ludicrous. Some of those large corporations are media outlets that thrive on sensationalism and those organizations would increase profits by blasting the news of new planets and mayhem coming and all of the rest.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

The reconfigured mass of Neptune is a load of baloney. Prove me wrong. And please don't use the Muslim outreach entity to do it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join