It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A news bulletin on CNN declares a large hidden object 4 times the size of Jupiter in the outer reac

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
As I understood this report when I'd first seen it, they were more likely refering to Nemesis than Nibiru. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding them...

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Surely news like that would be on the front of all the worlds media.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by micmac08

Well, it kinda has been. I mean Nemesis is not a new theory and this basically sounds like it. The idea of another star sitting measurably outside the Solar System we see and know, but still tied to it....Tho Nemesis is speculated to be a body way out there, not something that comes into the inner Solar System..

That is the Nibiru theory and I have a real hard time buying that one. If Elenin had Nibiru anywhere near it, you'd think we'd have watched a few things vanish recently....Like the STEREO Probe that came within 5 million kilometers of it earlier this month. Of course, that allows for the idea Nibiru even exists... No proof means no sale for me...

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Tyche is the gift that keeps on giving. There haven't been any new articles regarding it since February and its existence is still very unlikely, but here we are with even more people claiming it's going to kill us all.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I'm confused and maybe someone can explain this to me. The last mass extinction event from an impact was supposedly 65 million years ago:

Major extinction events

In a landmark paper published in 1982, Jack Sepkoski and David M. Raup identified five mass extinctions. They were originally identified as outliers to a general trend of decreasing extinction rates during the Phanerozoic,[3] but as more stringent statistical tests have been applied to the accumulating data, the "Big Five" cannot be so clearly defined, but rather appear to represent the largest (or some of the largest) of a relatively smooth continuum of extinction events.[3]

1.Cretaceous–Tertiary extinction event (End Cretaceous or K-T extinction) – 65.5 Ma at the Cretaceous.Maastrichtian-Paleogene.Danian transition interval.[4] The K–T event is now called the Cretaceous–Paleogene (or K–Pg) extinction event by many researchers. About 17% of all families, 50% of all genera[5] and 75% of species became extinct.[6] In the seas it reduced the percentage of sessile animals to about 33%. The boundary event was severe with a significant amount of variability in the rate of extinction between and among different clades. Mammals and birds emerged as dominant land vertebrates in the age of new life.

Impact events

The impact of a sufficiently large asteroid or comet could have caused food chains to collapse both on land and at sea by producing dust and particulate aerosols and thus inhibiting photosynthesis. Impacts on sulfur-rich rocks could have emitted sulfur oxides precipitating as poisonous acid rain, contributing further to the collapse of food chains. Such impacts could also have caused megatsunamis and / or global forest fires.

Most paleontologists now agree that an asteroid did hit the Earth about 65 Ma, but there is an ongoing dispute whether the impact was the sole cause of the Cretaceous–Tertiary extinction event.[41][42] There is evidence that there was an interval of about 300 ka from the impact to the mass extinction.[41] In 1997, paleontologist Sankar Chatterjee drew attention to the proposed and much larger 600 km (370 mi) Shiva crater and the possibility of a multiple-impact scenario.

Source

Now the CNN article says:

Its 27 million-year orbit could also explain a pattern of mass extinctions on Earth, scientists say.

How does the CNN statement jive with the fact that the last mass extinction event on Earth due to an impact occurred 65 million years ago and if the inference is merely that it's the cause of OTHER objects being hurled into the earth, why even mention that its orbit cycle is 27 million years? Is my brain just fried or am I missing something here?

Timidgal

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by XplanetX
It is my opinion that they are forced to anounce it because it will be visible in the sky very soon.

I also suspect that it is closer than they are reporting.

And how close do you think it is exactly? I hate to shatter something that you so desperately want to believe, especially such an intriguingly inane conspiracy such as planet x, but any planet or brown dwarf four times the size of Jupiter would be visible to the naked eye inside our solar system. The gravitational perturbations of the other planets would also be detectable. What makes you think there are any more inbound comets than usual?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by megabytz

This clip is 3 years old but even more relevant today:

Right now we have 6 comets that will travel close to the earth.

Trust me when I say, there will be plenty more that turn up on our doorstep and 'surprise' so called 'experts'.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Also have a close look at our sattelite the moon.

It looks like it has had the # beaten out of it. It's about to get the # beaten out of it again very shortly.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I wasn't much of a believer in this stuff till I watch the video, it would be interesting if anymore research or data is on it. If it is being recorded somewhere on planet earth right now, that is this large body, it is all probably above top secret.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

It looks like it has had the # beaten out of it. It's about to get the # beaten out of it again very shortly.

It is well known that all the planets and moons were comprised of comets. Earth would look exactly like the moon if it didn't suffer from weathering and disturbance from living objects. Jupitor protects the earth from comets as it mops up most of the potential killers to enter our solar system.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by XplanetX

Out of the six comets coming towards Earth, as far as I know Elenin is the only long-period comet. Long-period comets are the only ones that come from the Oort Cloud. As for Nemesis, there is no evidence to support its existence. It relied upon the premise that there is a periodicity to mass extinctions. This was proven to be false and the need for Nemesis vanished. Not even Matese and Whitmire, the ones who originally hypothesized Nemesis, support it as a hypothesis anymore. That video is based on outdated and outright wrong information.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

There's nothing. You could read the original research article presenting the hypothesis, but other than that there's not much. The fact of the matter is there isn't much support for the hypothesis in the astronomical community outside of Matese and Whitmire, and after their Nemesis hypothesis they don't have the best record for predicting trans-Neptunian planets. Furthermore, if Tyche were to exist it would never enter the orbits of the known planets.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Good vid. I just got done working a couple days straight on all this myself. That is the objects passing us between now and January, and you're right. 5 of them and all will be close. 2 will be danger close with all things considered.

Elenin / Comet / Pass Oct 17
2005 YU55 / Apollo Class Asteroid / Pass: Nov 8-9
45p/Honda / Jupiter-Family Comet / Pass: August 15 (82 degrees off plane) - Sep 2 (15 Degrees)
Levy / Jupiter-Family Comet / Pass: Jan 21 2012
Apophis / Atena Class Asteroid / Pass: Jan 12, 2012

Oh and we should enter Elenin's tail/debris field Nov 2-6... Just as Yu55 comes .0016AU from us

There is 5. We ought to be able to start seeing them within a few weeks..I mean without buying a telescope. Levy was the only one I couldn't find recent pictures of and some confusion as to where precisely it is at the moment. Apparently it's one we could visually miss altogether.

The next 8-12 weeks are going to be very interesting indeed.

edit on 14-8-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-8-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
So then it is there????

One day it's on the next day it's a hoax...so I guess this is for real? Where are all the debunkers now?

It's going take a little more than a CNN snippet to convince me that "it is for real".

So it should be for you too

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

And most of those craters are very old...
It has been around for billions of years, has no erosion so it is only natural that it looks beaten up.

Why do you even believe something will happen shortly?? There is absolutely no scientific evidence to back up that claim. Why believe something because some pseudo scientist or youtube user claimed something?

Sometimes I really don't get people...
edit on 14-8-2011 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

Well, the little snippet of data I just posted is straight out of the Jet Propulsion Labs databases over the past few days. it just so happens I've been working this night and day for a few days to answer this whole thing for myself once and for all...but Check the JPL site. All the objects are there and the dates are what I have listed up there. I have notebooks of this stuff now... ugh..

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I have edited the original post and added a link to an article by CNN dated July 25, 2011.
The article concerns ELENIN.

ireport.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I have edited the original post and added a link to an article by CNN dated July 25, 2011. The article concerns ELENIN.

That is not an article by CNN. Maybe you missed this:

So you know: iReport is the way people like you report the news. The stories in this section are not edited, fact-checked or screened before they post. Only ones marked 'CNN iReport' have been vetted by CNN.

ireport.cnn.com...

edit on 8/14/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

I have edited the original post and added a link to an article by CNN dated July 25, 2011. The article concerns ELENIN.

That is not an article by CNN. Maybe you missed this:

So you know: iReport is the way people like you report the news. The stories in this section are not edited, fact-checked or screened before they post. Only ones marked 'CNN iReport' have been vetted by CNN.

ireport.cnn.com...

edit on 8/14/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the heads up, I was not aware.

This site is as good as any to do the 'vetting' I guess.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
As I understood this report when I'd first seen it, they were more likely refering to Nemesis than Nibiru. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding them...

Nemesis IS Nibiru.

Of course main stream science is going to change the name...

I remember this being on CNN.

VERY interesting....

S & F by the way OP:up]
edit on 14-8-2011 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join