It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facing Ninth Deployment, Army Ranger Kills Himself. 'No Way' That God Would Forgive Him For What H

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
reply to post by neo96

The opinion that our army is doing bad things and I won't enlist ever to defend immoral things killed troops?

glad you wont in the rear with the gear and demagogue from the safety and security while they go out and do their jobs.

meh

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Actually it is a war we could win. Remove the damn PC ROE and unleash the troops. It is winnable, but that wouldn't be profitable now would it......

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Are you for or against the war because I really can't tell? You're mad at me because I'm against the wars yet you admit all they are is profitable.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Yes, but you forgot to add millions+++ civilians who have died from military action in every war, nowadays they have a nice word for it, 'collateral damage' they employ people like statisticians, aka 'bean counters' to work it out. Different breed has no provenance on how worthy or not any person is, however with his attitude it is easy to see why so many civilians do die in these operations. If he is a vet' he should realise that better than most anybody else, instead of being humble about it, his escape is to as good as call them 'cannon fodder'

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkady
statistically speaking the suicide rate is still lower for soldiers than in the general civilian population. If it's rising it's not because the 'horrors of war' are becoming any more horrible its just that the standards for potential recruits has changed and now young men that are unable and ill equipped to deal with the reality of warfare are being rapidly trained and sent straigt to afghanistan.
I feel sorry for this guy but he probably shouldn't have been in the army in the first place.

This story is horrible, I can't believe what these folks are being put through - for someone to get rich. It's despicable.

But I looked up some stats after I read your post and your info is a bit off. My expectations were also off, since I though military suicides would be much higher than civilian suicides, but it turns out the military suicides are only slightly higher.

The army suicide rate is now higher than that among the general American population. The rate has been calculated as 20.2 per 100,000 soldiers, compared with 19.5 per 100,000 civilians. This is a shocking statistic, as soldiers theoretically are screened for mental illnesses before enlistment and have access to counselling and health services that millions of ordinary people cannot afford.

As there is an average of 10 failed suicide attempts for each actual loss of life, the figures suggest that more than 1,600 serving army and marine personnel tried to kill themselves last year.

2009 Article

Also some additional info from another study.

In the United States (U.S.) suicide is the 11th leading cause of death, with about 30,000 deaths annually (Centers for Disease Control [CDC], 2007). Among those aged 15-24 suicide is the third leading cause of death, at a rate of 10.3 per 100,000 (U.S Department of Health and Human Services [DHHS], 2004).

The U.S. active-duty military is comprised predominantly of young male adults; about 50% are aged 17-26 (Eaton, Messer, Wilson, & Hoge, 2006). According to CDC data (2004), suicide is the third leading cause of death among this age group generally. In the U.S. military, suicide has historically ranked as the second leading cause after accidents (Ritchie, Keppler, & Rothberg, 2003). In 2005, the reported Department of Defense (DoD) average suicide rate was 11.4 per 100,000 (ranging from 8.9 for the Air Force to 13.7 for the Army). Carr, Hoge, Gardner, and Potter (2004) suggested that correcting reporting and classification mistakes might increase suicide rates in the military by as much as 21%.

Second Article

Khar

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

reply to post by adifferentbreed

Are you for or against the war because I really can't tell? You're mad at me because I'm against the wars yet you admit all they are is profitable.

LOL stop trying to confuse him with logical, straight forward thinking! He is torn between the fact he has a blind loyalty to armed forces, and yet realizes the armed forces are merely the muscle for corporate interests.....and all he can do is be mad lol

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
For those defending our army and nation:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ee5c8db57755.png[/atsimg]

No wonder the Vietnam mindset is back. This is the longest war in our history and I dont see it ending any time soon.

Edit: just noticed that chart is outdated. Go figure.
edit on 8/14/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

i find it hilarous that people have a rosey picture of what war is and has always been.

people die and hey gues what since the creation of war and modern advancements in technology less people are dying from the days of allied bombing of world war 2 and the bombings in vietnam.

there are any number of reasons from that enemy using women and children as human sheilds and setting up camping in highly populated areas.

you can hate war all you want to but guess what? it takes 2 to tango.

lets clarify for all those who detest war? how many people have to die and how many bombs have to be dropped for your anger and hatred and go around screaming bloody murder?

iraq? bad
afhghanistan? bad
yemen? not a peep
pakistan not a peep
somalia not a peep

must be nice to get to draw the lines of morality and ethics but then agian the definition of murder is a no no

but the same people who go around detesting war aka murder get behind womens rights and use them as human sheilds when they go and kill their own child.

off topic? or is it? political ideology especially when it comes to "war" and "murder" are relevant to the topic at hand.

blah

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
witnessing people die a horrendous death would be traumatic enough. Helping cause some of those deaths would eat at the conscience of any decent human being. Add to that the constant worry of losing your own life every single second of the day then ask yourself how our government could expect a man to endure that 9 times. How could you keep your sanity after just one tour?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

iraq? bad afhghanistan? bad yemen? not a peep pakistan not a peep somalia not a peep

Did you really just say that? Oh wow you really are ignorant.

You assume I don't know about the injustices all over the world? Sure I don't know all of them but I pay attention to international news. Human life is human life! Period the end!

Life is life. I care for every human being that is killed in Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, Libya, Pakistan, ect

All over the world. Saying I don't is an insult. I feel bad because I know right now someone is getting killed in one of these wars. Families or terrorists. They're still human. Just like I mourn for when our troops die. Human life is human life. I'd think you'd understand that.
edit on 8/14/2011 by drew1749 because: removing my haha. it really isnt a laughing matter

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

i tell you what is ignorant is defending people who would rather blow you up than look at you.

living in a dream world where you think people just want hold hands and get along.

the ignorance here is this thread and pushing a "suicide" based of a personal bias of what you "hate"

go ahead but there is a price that is paid so the keyboard peacenicks can run their mouths til there hearts content.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

edit on 14-8-2011 by neo96 because: double posts meh

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Wow, so it only takes one whole page before the widow is accused of using her husbands death as 'political agenda' huh?

reply to post by neo96

If you find it 'hilarious that people have a rosey picture of war', shouldn't you then support news like this coming out to make people more aware of the horrible stories that come with horrible war?
edit on 14/8/11 by Symer because: spelling

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

i tell you what is ignorant is defending people who would rather blow you up than look at you.

living in a dream world where you think people just want hold hands and get along.

the ignorance here is this thread and pushing a "suicide" based of a personal bias of what you "hate"

go ahead but there is a price that is paid so the keyboard peacenicks can run their mouths til there hearts content.

And people like you are the proof that radical islamics can point to, and say "see! they hate us, and want to exterminate us!", and you cant call them liars. Its a circular logic, and [SNIP] are helping to make it happen.

Mod Note: No personal insults please.
edit on 15-8-2011 by Gemwolf because: Removed insult.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

No I'm not defending them. I do feel bad that they had to die and decided to go down that rode. Why would I defend them? They're bad people. Don't get me wrong.

I care for human life but I also care for my life.

edit: To make a judgement though I'd have to be sure. I mean how do I know who wants to kill me? It could be a good guy you know. Why are you playing the pro war game here?
edit on 8/14/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Facing Ninth Deployment, Army Ranger Kills Himself.

Even a single tour and he'll get my salute...

Beyond that, I must admit I was not aware that anyone was allowed so many to begin with. I knew guys during Nam that begged for a 3rd or 4th tour and were turned back.

Nine?

I hope that ain't right.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Someone said that the army doesnt have enough people in this thread (personally I dont believe it. We'd have the draft if we didn't have enough people. Which speaking of the draft. That needs to go! But I don't think we can get rid of it.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

Originally posted by neo96

And people like you are the proof that radical islamics can point to, and say "see! they hate us, and want to exterminate us!", and you cant call them liars. Its a circular logic, and jackasses like you are helping to make it happen.

First of all, name calling and personal attacks wont help your point.......

Second of all, they dont CARE about what people say, and they dont NEED an excuse, the fact that you are an infidel is good enough.......

Trust me, all your love and hope isnt going to help you unless you convert.......

Be as nice as you want, it wont save your neck..........and yes I HAVE been over there .....

but the armchair generals here wont listen to the people who have been in the suck , because it flies in the face of their perfect world ........

IMHO I dont care what you think about me or anyone else who is against this movement.......we know the truth and like always it will be denied until its too late

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

reply to post by redoubt

Someone said that the army doesnt have enough people in this thread (personally I dont believe it. We'd have the draft if we didn't have enough people. Which speaking of the draft. That needs to go! But I don't think we can get rid of it.

I knew the last Nam draftee... or he claimed to be, lol.
He went off to become a drill sergeant. I hated it for his boots!

I am no big fan of the draft... except when it comes to spoiled brats.

What can I say.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join