It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police are using social media as a tool to fight crime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Social media sites Facebook, Twitter as well as others are being spied on for troubling information.

NYPD forms new social media unit

Assistant Commissioner Kevin O’Connor and his staff will go about their daily routines, mining social media in order to check out potentially troublesome information, ranging from out-of-hand house parties to gang showdowns and other potential mayhem.

The social media police: Facebook has potential as a law enforcement tool

“As long as people post things blindly, Facebook will be a useful tool,” Monroe said.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mustangill

Well if a person actually posts something incriminating on a facebook profile then surely it's their own fault if they get arrested because of it?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeissacred

I agree, it is stupid to do such a thing.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
You know that mods here are cops, don't you?

ATS: Because I enjoy having government workers tell me not to worry about the government.
edit on 14-8-2011 by The_Phantom because: probably no applause for this post

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Phantom

yeah i just had to lol at that

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
When will there be a filter that can be turned on and off to examine all messages and block those inciting riots or committing some crime like ordering drugs? With the computing power available today and the lack of effective security on cell phones, tablets and computers it shouldn't be that hard. Would it come up as free speech vs public security? Do you even have the right to free speech in the electronic arena? Is free speech only what comes out of your mouth in a public place?

top topics

join