It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive iodine has been detected in the thyroids of half of 1,000 Fukushima children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I'm hopeful (strange in this context), but also horrified and distrustful of this news.

Given how manipulated much of this kind of news is, I can't help but wonder if it is much, much worse.

See for example:

ABC : Japanese government hides children’s radiation results

COVER-UP: Censorship Beginning in Japan to Hide the Growing Meltdown Crisis?
edit on 14-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I agree that this could just be a small information release in an attempt to pacify the public.

One thing I noticed is that the results were based on samples taken at the end of March - a couple weeks after the earthquake/tsunami/reactor catastrophe. I know that the concern and belief of many of the Fukishima residents that they continue to be exposed. So I think the vid's message of "found levels are not problematic" ring hollow, since those levels supposedly represent exposure from end of March, and its already 5 months later.

In any case, I don't think we'll ever get reliable information from the government on this. They have acted, since the beginning, in a "manage the message" mode. So very very sad

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I want to share a word with you that my son gave me from Wikipedia: Externality.

en.wikipedia.org...

It is a great word, and describes cost/benefit in a new way. The overall costs of producing toxic wastes
would make energy production from nuclear plants prohibitively expensive. Of course, since the companies make millions selling the energy, they want to do it as inexpensively as possible to swell profits. Therefore,
safety factors are a non-issue. Even though eventually, like coal mines, like the BP spill, like fracking, like Fukushima, there are going to be consequences in terms of the environment as well as the health of
the individuals who are affected. Of course most governments all agree there is no downside to radioactive plants. The tax payer gets to pay for the environmental damage, as well as peoples' health problems. Unless of course, there is no national healthcare system. And, the Lord forbid we ever, ever think about taxing these
multimillionaires, or multibillionaires. The Rip Off Republicans are all about plundering the environment unsafely and selling the product, and making you pay for the damage. We should ask them to MAN UP - and accept
the consequences of their reckless disregard for the natural infrastructure that supports us. They want us to
accept this situation? They play - we pay: TWICE.

new topics

join