It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop trying to convert me!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Not a day goes by lately that someone tries to push their religion down my gullet. So this is what I tell them

Why follow a mystical deity that says "worship me, obey me, or I banish thee to hell" sounds like an egomaniacal dictator to me. And the majority of the planet believes this, and are ready willing and able to kill and die in his name.
And this has been going on for centuries with absolutely NO PROOF that he exists. I don't need a god or a Bible or any other book telling me to be good to my fellow human beings. And the bible is a creation of MAN interpreting the word of god, so who can absolutely say for certain that's what he really meant in the first place? And the bible has been edited how many time BY MAN? Then the Vatican has excerpts that are withheld from us that are contrary to their dogma. If god did exist, and we are his children, then why hasn't he stepped in and said "dang y'all are messing this stuff up, you've broke all my rules, had a party in my house while I was gone, its time for your whoopin then your grounded!!". Furthermore, how can a person commit sin all their life (evil acts according to him) confess and be saved. Really? How is that fair to everyone that worked their butts off all their lives to do the right thing just to have someone who was doing whatever they want get the same reward (heaven) as them? And why would one need to confess in the first place if god is all knowing and all seeing? And if he is all knowing and all seeing, does this include all of time, space and dimensions? And if he can see all of time then would it be safe to assume that he would see what his creation would become? And if he saw what his creation would become why still create it? Seems like a really messed up thing to do to me. Then he gives his creation free will and punishes them for using it? Wait, what? You gave me free will and I can't use it? What kind of crap is that? Its like giving a kid a bag if cotton candy, telling them not to eat it, knowing full well the kid is gonna eat it. That right there is the classic case of setting someone up for failure. And people expect people to believe that this guy is a good guy and that he exists? Just my 2¢, or whatever your monetary denomination for 2¢ is ;-). So in closing to all the religion's in the world

Pics or it didn't happen!!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Couldn't have said it better....

Myself....

S & F for you!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Amen OP! I want to give you a kiss! God hasn't done a damn thing for me that is why I'm dead inside now! Stop trying to convert me! Just leave me to my little peace and sanity

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Thanks y'all lol. I'm just getting sick of all the god and devil crap out there. Why can't people understand that %ood and evil are a concept of man, and we are accountable for our own actions? And why didn't he just create us the way he wanted us in the first place???

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Considering how most who are trying to convert don't even know the bible much.

Memorize the more outlandish bible scriptures, the ones they don't teach in church. "You're trying to tell me these things actually happened?", "You want me to worship the god who supposedly did this". When they don't know the scriptures, it'll catch them off guard and often make them kind of embarrassed to admit to believing it, let alone trying to make you.

Only works on the usual unknowing preacher though. The more in depth bible students already have gone through those parts, and have rationalizations. "Hardened their hearts" to it, so to speak.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by itbenickp

Ya gotta have fun with it. That's what I do nowadays. I am spiritual, but do not hold any religion over another and some I downright disparage.

I consider myself a amateur theologian today and it all began because my Aunt was a JW and she was always telling me that I was going to hell, regardless of how good or bad I was as I was not a witness, or as I prefer to say, witless.
If ya say it fast enough, they never catch on.

Being in the service also exposed me to many varied religions as well. For the most part, people don't try to convert me anymore, as I can politely counter their own beliefs with whatever book they subscribe too.

It can be quite fun.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I think there is a feeling of pity towards non-believers by believers. They feel that non-believers are missing something in life and that they didn't find their true path...

Which is all dead wrong.

We let you be, let us be. We don't want to be saved, we don't want your savior.

And this confessing right before death thing is BS, I believe in Karma!
Not beevilallyourlifekillpeopleandsayyoursorryrightbeforedyingtogotoheavenandbesaved.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

Exactly!! I would much rather go through my day thinking my own thoughts rather then second guessing whether or not I'm going contrary to the bible and god. Its like you need someone to vet every action and thought you make to decide if its the right move or not

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by User8911

Yes!! Karma is an intangible that I go by everyday! I treat everyone I meet with dignity and respect, I put good stuff out there and I get alot of good stuff back :-) if I meet someone that rubs me the wrong way I simply try to interact with them as little as possible so I don't have to be a part of their negativity

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I actually love when a fundie comes to my door, I know their old jewish book of fairy tales better than they do.

They usually get frustrated and say they will prey for me..lol

I heard a good analogy and don't remember where I heard it...

If someone had a hair dryer grasp in their hands and was talking to it and swear it was talking back they would end up in a padded room...remove the hair dryer and replace it with god and all of a sudden their not nuts???

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Not a day goes by lately that someone tries to push their religion down my gullet. So this is what I tell them...

Atheists can be just as vocal about their beliefs - most religious folks aren't going to ridicule a non-believer - but there's a few bad apples in every group, wouldn't you agree?

And this has been going on for centuries with absolutely NO PROOF that he exists...

This is definitely debatable - it's not provable that there's no proof of a higher power either

As far as the section about man editing the Bible is concerned - there is a warning in the Bible @ the very end that specifically addresses it.

All you can do is simply trust that whoever has chosen to dilute the original message (which definitely includes the Vatican - not arguing that) will pay for their choices.

There's a certain element of faith and belief involved that if intervention is necessary to maintain the integrity of the message then it will happen.

Furthermore, how can a person commit sin all their life (evil acts according to him) confess and be saved. Really?

It seems almost too simple...but he loves us that much - what we forget is that this is a flash in our existence compared to the eternity after this. It's not meant to be a "get out of jail free" card though.

And why would one need to confess in the first place if god is all knowing and all seeing? And if he is all knowing and all seeing, does this include all of time, space and dimensions? And if he can see all of time then would it be safe to assume that he would see what his creation would become? And if he saw what his creation would become why still create it?...

Acknowledgement of what's been done wrong is important - without acknowledgement there can be no change or improvement. Short sightedness prevents us from fully grasping the concept.

There's more to the story than we can understand from our current viewpoint here on Earth.

At least it's nice to know that we're not completely on our own and that this life can actually have meaning and significance in the big picture.

Then he gives his creation free will and punishes them for using it? Wait, what? You gave me free will and I can't use it? What kind of crap is that? Its like giving a kid a bag if cotton candy, telling them not to eat it, knowing full well the kid is gonna eat it...

Discipline - Something mankind is lacking at this point of our existence.

We're much more focused on immediate gratification right now - A conscious choice to do what's right - not because anyone is forcing you but because you actually choose to do what's right....

If this life is a test that seems like a pretty good way to determine the results on an individual basis.
edit on 14-8-2011 by coldkidc because: formatting

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Stovokor

If they are prey for you, watch your back man!

Though I'm sure you meant pray.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Haha good analogy!!! But I have one question for you lol.....ummm isn't stovokor the Klingon version of heaven, and you can only get there by dying honorably as a warrior in battle? but hey its just as real as the real heaven lol.just messin with ya lol

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by itbenickp

Haha good analogy!!! But I have one question for you lol.....ummm isn't stovokor the Klingon version of heaven, and you can only get there by dying honorably as a warrior in battle? but hey its just as real as the real heaven lol.just messin with ya lol

Yeah, busted! I'm a big ole Trekkie dork! I like greek mythology and the the boat ride to stovokor reminds me of the river of Styx..

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

You said its nice to know we're not alone. But we are. And have been the whole time. How many Armageddons and judgement days have we already have supposed to have had? What, was he busy? Is he a procrastinator? We're on our own everyday and every night. A parent does not give birth to their children then have a complete hands off approach except for a rule book their entire lives then punish them at the end of their lives for making mistakes. No, a parent is there every day, showing them the way, giving a nudge here, a little advice there.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I love the trek lol, and I can see that reference to the river Styx. Maybe Mr Roddenberry had that in mind when he created it?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I don't claim a denomination anymore. I do believe there is God but my realization is that God is the energy that makes up everything. God is not a deity. God is everything. The energy we call "God" is like (the Joseph Campbell influenced) George Lucas imagined "The Force" to be in his Star Wars movies.

God is the ultimate experience that we all feed with our experiences. When our bodies die we return to this energy and are reused again and again because energy doesn't die or dissipate. This is how we live forever.

Sorry, no streets of gold in my version.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
They, "the believers", will never stop trying to convert atheists. It's what gets them up in the morning. Reaffirming their beliefs by bashing others. Its like there is a contest to see which of them can convert the most people. Is it so hard to believe that a person can live a good fulfilling life without religion? Well I'm here to tell ya it is possible, I'm doing just that

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

You are talking from your own experience...

I've had at least a handful of times in my life that have shown me I am not alone...you attribute it to chance or luck however - so maybe you miss those small indicators...

Of course everybody's life is different and we all have different experiences...so nobody can truly speak for someone else.

But at least for me - I know I'm not alone.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Absolutely! (sir) Patrick Stewart was chosen because he was a Shakespearian stage actor!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join