It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want a job? There are plenty out there.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Ah, yes I should have figured out that's what you meant by trade work, my bad.

My comments weren't really directed specifically at you or your company, just the general attitude about people's worth ethic.

Yes, an 80k/yr job is pretty impressive. I would work my ass off 7 days a week and do nearly anything for that. I have no doubt there are many lazy people out there. Maybe the type of jobs where you get paid 80k/yr have a bigger issue with lazy people. I'm just speaking from my experience in blue collar type jobs. Unless it's a union job, employers generally treat their employees like crap. They pay them next to nothing, and then expect the world in return.

Years ago when I had less experience than I do now I was working for a non-union manufacturing company. Half their work force were illegals. I was basically running half the entire floor, nothing went in or out of that place without my signature and inspection. I coordinated the flow of materials for the whole place. Nobody there knew where anything was, who to talk to about certain things, how to carry out a variety of tasks. I was making $10/hr, worked 10 hour days 6 days a week. The purchasing department, all of the production department heads, even the president of the company would come to ME to figure something out or get something done. And I'll repeat, I was making $10 an hour.

The only days I ever missed were when I had pneumonia. I was gone for 3 days, and after the 2nd day they had to shut down one of the 4 production lines and send its workers home because the place was falling apart and they weren't supplied. They were missing shipments, nothing was getting scheduled, the QA department was barely running. They called me up and said they needed me to come back to work, even though I could barely breathe and felt like I was on death's door.

I had my fingers in almost every aspect of the production floor, and they all depended on me to keep things running smoothly. And I'll repeat again, I was making $10 an hour. The day after I came back I got the 4th production line back up and running, worked a 14 hour day to catch up on QA inspections and shipments. I don't usually toot my own horn, but I was good at what I did, and it's a fact that place turns into a mess when I'm gone because I was responsible for coordinating everything.

After that I had a meeting with management and the president and I told them I need to cross train some of the production leads so that the company could function if I'm not there. I was, all by myself, responsible for training 3 people who made twice what I did. I got them trained, and then I took my vacation. While I was gone, again things fell apart and they called me back early from my vacation. I asked why the leads I trained couldn't fill in. They said they appointed one of them to my position while I was gone, with the other two as support. The one that was appointed my job QUIT a few days into it, and the other two "weren't capable of handling it" (the president's exact words)

I became buddies with one of our vendors, and ended up getting hired on over there. I was making more in a 40/hr week than I was with a 60/hr week at the old place. And two weeks paid vacation a year, scheduled raises every year, full medical/dental/vision. They treated me like crap at my old job, and didn't pay me beans for what I did. When I quit they had to appoint two people to fill my position. The president called me a few months later and offered me my old job back. I said I'd come back for $16/hr and no overtime. He said no, I never went back, and they had to have two people working 60hr weeks to replace me. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

This is what I talk about when I say employers pay crap, and treat you like crap. That place heavily relied upon me, and I did an incredible job. And for that, I was paid $10 hr.

So this is why I might see things from a different perspective. I'm used to working my butt off, and sometimes getting almost nothing in return. This is why I was glad I had such a nice union position, but that was taken away because of stupid seniority rules.

I tend to get a bit testy when I hear people talk about how lazy and entitled workers are, or how people want to be unemployed. Like I said I have no doubt there are lazy people out there, but I think they are the minority. And even among those people, I'd bet a decent number of them used to be hard workers, that became apathetic after being treated like dirt after breaking their back for a company.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but it's a touchy subject for me, as someone who desperately wants to find work, and is good at what they do, and then constantly hears people talk about how lazy and entitled workers are.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by HenryTwoTimes
Not sure where you live OP, but I haven't gotten an interview out of my last 200 applications. I have a college degree and am applying for all sorts of jobs, even the lowest, and getting nothing. I would work two jobs if I could find them. But alas, this is the USSA, land of the slave, and even then only if you're lucky.

So start your own business. You're not required to work for someone else. If you're so skilled--college degree and all--there's no way you don't have the wherewithall to support yourself. If you don't want to be a slave why the hell do you continue to knock on the slavemaster's door pleading to enter?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
You said that you have to work on your off time? That would make me fell like a slave. Working for free? It should be done within the time that you are at work and if your job is telling you other wise its slave labor. If im not getting paid im not going to do it. If I get treated like crap im going to work. If its a happy, friendly, FREE environment i am happy. After all what is work? You waist 8hrs of your day 40hrs of your week so that you can buy crap you dont need. Or you could work 4hrs a day 20hrs a week get by and LIVE YOUR LIFE with the extra time you have. If you think you need to work 40hrs a week you are brain washed. if you think that you have to make sacrifices like happiness to work then you are brainwashed.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by HenryTwoTimes
Not sure where you live OP, but I haven't gotten an interview out of my last 200 applications. I have a college degree and am applying for all sorts of jobs, even the lowest, and getting nothing. I would work two jobs if I could find them. But alas, this is the USSA, land of the slave, and even then only if you're lucky.

So start your own business. You're not required to work for someone else. If you're so skilled--college degree and all--there's no way you don't have the wherewithall to support yourself. If you don't want to be a slave why the hell do you continue to knock on the slavemaster's door pleading to enter?

I thought of that...I had my own very successful business once, but the government decided they wanted my money so they illegally stole it all and shut me down. No point in starting from scratch just to get screwed over again somehow. My only goal in life now is to save up enough money to flee this fascist hellhole.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

follow ups make a huge difference, as a former employer, i must say, that if people didn't follow up. i lost interest in hiring them. it shows a good work ethic and a desire to not be idle and is a positive sign for 99% of employers.

It is funny how things can be exactly opposite compared to here. Here in Norway it is actually often frowned upon if you do that.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I've been looking for a second job for over a year. I've filled out so many applications I actually time myself to see how fast I can do it now. The jobs I'm looking for aren't rocket science jobs either. McDonalds, pizza places, convenient stores, delivery positions.

These employers put up the signs hire someone then I see the signs up again in a few months. It really sucks. I feel so unproductive getting out of work at 3pm on weekdays and not working on weekends. Wish I lived in a place where there were lots of jobs. I don't get treated the best at my current work but its work and I'm a workaholic. I hate it when people say well at least you have a job...These people are the ones who are too damn proud to go apply at a fast food joint because they feel it is below them.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by candykayx
i am currently recuriting male or female over 18 in the uk
to work for -snip- it is a bit like avon but nicer products and cheap
anyone who wants to work from home for some extra cash this is perfect for let me know
no experiance needed
all welcome
all excepted

Please take your MLM scams out of my thread.

edit on 14-8-2011 by boncho because: No reason for free advertising

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by inthemass
At the moment I'm working in a warehouse for min wage. It's not to bad, but i went from $1900 a week to min wage after being laid off. It's a big drop in earnings but you do what you have to do.

I hear you. I went from 24 bucks an hour down to 8 bucks a hour.I'm just glad I have no bills besides the basics although giving up cable tv was a bummer.
Well that who will now help those poor girls at the strip joint get through college.

To the op

The main problem with a lot of people today is they think they're worth more than they really are. When I was at the unemployment office I overheard some kids who just got out of college saying what they thought their pay should be which was as much as someone that's been with the company for 10 or 15 years. I told them they were crazy to think that and you have no job experience so no company will pay you that take what they offer and work your way up.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

I became buddies with one of our vendors, and ended up getting hired on over there. I was making more in a 40/hr week than I was with a 60/hr week at the old place.

Are you still working with the Vendor's company?

To the other stuff you mentioned:

There is lots of politics in the workplace, I've been at companies where people working 20 years were making the same or less than new hires. Part of the job is letting Admin know what you are worth, and also not taking any less than that. There are subtle ways to do it though. Outright demands are met with the same indignation the government has towards radical ultimatums.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by CaDreamer

minimum wage is better than pan handling ...too many people these days believe that their "resume" makes them superior and that their chosen field of work is the only field they need look for employment.

I agree with you. In my opinion, a temporary minimum wage job only shows your future employers that you are serious about working. That you took something bottom rung when you lost your other job.

Something else people fail to address, is that in industries other than tradework, a layoff is often a nice way for the company to let you go.

Meaning, if you expect to get back in the job market, you can expect to go back to an entry level position.

Even if it was a genuine layoff, the company still chose you over it's other employees to layoff. The new company that you are applying to is well aware of HR practices. So you are basically starting from scratch again.

This should be a motivator though, not something that limits you.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

No, I worked there for almost 2 years before leaving to take a position at the union shop I was talking about earlier. It was another pay raise, and I figured I'd have more job security with a union position. I guess I was wrong on that one, but the other place got sold to some company out east which moved the company, so I wouldn't still be with them anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I'm sorry but I've been looking for the last three years and haven't found anything stable.
Ninety percent of the time they make the job sound better than it really is, like commission only jobs, or "inbound call centets" that are really you calling people during their dinner only to get bibb up on then you get fired for not having met your quota. Also been getting the NO because I'm unemployed.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
You people make me sick up on your high horses looking down. Just because you have help wanted signs and positions to be filled in your companies does not mean that they are hiring the right people and it doesn't mean that there are jobs in other parts of the country. Think before you speak about something that is so touchy right now to the unemployed people out there. I have been working for minimum wage trying to make ends meet all year now all the while looking for a better paying job and it is not happening.

There are alot of different factors that go into looking for a job and there are alot of factors that go into hiring the right person for the job. I am sure you have jobs there were you are but, just because you have open positions does not mean people are sitting on their lazy butts drawing unemployment.

Don't be slinging mud at us unemployed just because you see a few help wanted signs.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by candykayx
i am currently recuriting male or female over 18 in the uk
to work for oriflame it is a bit like avon but nicer products and cheap
anyone who wants to work from home for some extra cash this is perfect for let me know
no experiance needed
all welcome
all excepted

Please take your MLM scams out of my thread.

I could argue many different positions from this thread and responces. That was a great responce.

I have made and lost plus or minus a million bucks in my life more then once. Wanna see my Tax Return? Tough.

I am currently rebuilding wealth again.

I've read all the posts.

Just because your sincere about working hard does not mean your going to get more then mimimum wage.
And minimum wage,because you "worked hard" won't get you a higher paying position.

Think about it.

Minimum wage is basically unskilled labor in the workforce.
Example: I owned a restaruant bar in a college town in California. At first,I hired locals at any age to fill positions at minimum wage.Bartenders,Waitresses,Cooks.. Ya know what? EVERY local told me how THEY wanted to work because they were "experienced." THEY pissed off the college crowd I was going after as my market.

Solution? I got rid of all the locals and hired college kids.
Why? Even if College kids don't know what they want to be when they grow up? At least they're paying someone for direction and guidence and know how to follow some rules.

Except THESE two jokers I hired in the kitchen who were going to school. Nice kids. "Stoners".
Wanted to work and eat for minimum wage.

Until mimumum wage in California went up. BAM!!! They come into my office with the headlines from the L.A. Times going"You owe is a raise doooode,You owe us a raise"

I started to explain what that "liability" to the restaraunt means in terms of State Board Of Equilization,Social Security withholding and the actual cost to the business.
They go "doooode,you owe,lifes a bitch,we earned the raise,govenment says so"

I politley explained "THATS what your read? I READ the government has decided that legal workers in America aren't working hard enough. Therefore, I MUST terminate one of you based on job performance. One of you will work harder and get a raise, one of you will be fired."

Responce? "Doooode that's cold"

My point? Minimum wage jobs are a great way to get some cash flow.
To insinuate that based on the American system,work at Wal Mart,MISS your opportunity at a better job because you'll get fired at WalMart if you miss your "schedule" is really missguided.

Walmart and other low paying job employers LOVE underpaying overqualified people through intimidation.
What geat job security. Work an extra 30 hours and make an extra
200 bucks.

To actually read people on here tell others..no matter what,don't take government assitance,take ANY job,even if it won't pay rent,food and a car, and insurance,but take the job anyway and don't burden US taxpayers,God will reward you later, is beyond my comprehension.

I want ALL my fellow Americans a better life for themselves. Walmart or Mcdonalds won't get you there.

Go ahead and bring up all 200 employees that worked that system and now make dough in manegment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join