It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want a job? There are plenty out there.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It seems my company has hired another dozen employees in the past few weeks, the majority of which, have since left the company.

Within the new hires, 20% spoke about going to the labor board over frivolous items of concern, to begin launching a "lawsuit" against the company.

80% were bad mouthing the boss within their first week. Which I didn't even know how to address because they clearly hadn't been there long enough to even form a relationship with the person.

Not surprisingly the turnover has been high of late.

My question is, where are the people who actually want to work? It isn't like the company is a slave labor camp. Private air conditioned offices, bonuses and 1 hour lunch breaks don't seem like deplorable conditions to me. Yes, long hours and extra work on your own time needs to be done, but that's what work is. Work.

Out of all the people who said they are going to "sue the company", of course, none of them do. For one they wouldn't have a case, and two: it isn't about principal, it's not about them being treated poorly, it's them not being able to meet the expectations of their position.

While people talk about how hard it is to get a job, I sit back and look at the utter failure by people who say they want one, but don't back it up with their actions.

Deplorable.

While I know there are areas that are actually suffering from unemployment, I also believe there are areas that are suffering from self-realized unemployment.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
i see help wanted signs in shops all over town on a daily basis and yet nobody seems to be applying for any of the jobs available unless they pay double minimum wage or better. everyone wants journeyman pay. seems nobody has the concept of earning your keep on their agendas anymore.

there is a reason these jobs are called entry level...

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Thats not completely true in all cases since a lot of jobs have been getting shipped off-shore, many jobs.

It took my friend over 6 months to find a job, and he has an impressive resume. And no one these days can survive on minimum wage.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Too bad they wont hire those who are actually unemployed: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
BRONCHO!

I'm tired of hearing people say, "I can't find a job!". You hit the nail on the head with your subject title because as my friends were saying that, I was out getting a job and I got one like that.

ADVICE FOR THOSE WHO NEED A JOB OR CAN'T GET ONE even though you "try":

If you apply for a job and submit an application, ALWAYS follow through with your application and the business. Call them back, show them that you are really interested in the job. Businesses LOVE when people check in on their application status because it shows that they are committed. Never say you can't get a job.

That's how I got my job.

Boncho, you da man!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I started to say Where ? Don't you mean whores ? Charlie Sheen needs another one.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

minimum wage is better than pan handling ...too many people these days believe that their "resume" makes them superior and that their chosen field of work is the only field they need look for employment. i have multiple degrees, none of which apply to my current line of work. people need to get off their high horses and take the first job the qualify for and stop whining that there are no jobs. that is an outright lie and deserves the derision it receives.

sometimes taking two or three jobs is necessary if the wage isnt enough to cover expenses. America has become lazy and fat...oh you mean i have to work more than 40 hrs a week to feed and house my family? i miss the attitude of generations past where people of good moral fiber worked as hard and as long as it took to support their loved ones. this era of entitlement has ruined american productivity and has shamed us as a nation.

there should be no such thing as a job that is beneath you, any job that provides for your family is a good job.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Not sure where you live OP, but I haven't gotten an interview out of my last 200 applications. I have a college degree and am applying for all sorts of jobs, even the lowest, and getting nothing. I would work two jobs if I could find them. But alas, this is the USSA, land of the slave, and even then only if you're lucky.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by iSwag

If you apply for a job and submit an application, ALWAYS follow through with your application and the business. Call them back, show them that you are really interested in the job. Businesses LOVE when people check in on their application status because it shows that they are committed. Never say you can't get a job.

That's how I got my job.

Same here. If it takes me tracking down someone in HR to get an update or even catching the VP of the company off guard with a blocked call I will do whatever it takes to let the company know I mean business.

You have to treat finding a job like a job in itself. And following through is the first thing that needs to be done. Kudos my friend.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
make no mistake...healthy people able to work and not applying for those"menial" jobs are bums! using the welfare system, food stamp program because you are too proud to lower your standards of employment is indeed panhandling, lazy, and an abomination.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by HenryTwoTimes
Not sure where you live OP, but I haven't gotten an interview out of my last 200 applications. I have a college degree and am applying for all sorts of jobs, even the lowest, and getting nothing. I would work two jobs if I could find them. But alas, this is the USSA, land of the slave, and even then only if you're lucky.

i live in northern California in a densely populated area and to this day i have NEVER had ANY difficulty finding work. i think that perhaps you are doing it wrong. it may do you some good to stop how your doing it and rethink your employment search strategies.
not an attempt to insult you at all. i have lived in many towns and have had many employers.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The main problem between these days and the golden days of employment is that it is next to impossible to start a business from nothing anymore. This used to be the bread and butter of the north american job market. Can't fins a job? Employ yourself. Even the most simple idea needs huge startup costs. Licenses, permits, permissions, regulations, inspections. Not to mention everything is about location now.

Big companies have done well to keep the little guy down.

Oh and yeah there are jobs but what I love are the jobs that used to pay well have been turned into temporary/casual positions that pay very little. And once you are in these positions some companies will not.let you advance to a higher position and just take someone from the street for those jobs. I work for such a company and its frustrating. Im more qualified to do jobs in this company than half the people they hire to do a job that pays twice as much. But im not considered for those. Can't go work somehwere else because in my industry we are practically the only place in town that pays more than min wage.

Frustrated. Only make 40k when others make 100k to do the same job.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

minimum wage is better than pan handling ...too many people these days believe that their "resume" makes them superior and that their chosen field of work is the only field they need look for employment.

I agree with you. In my opinion, a temporary minimum wage job only shows your future employers that you are serious about working. That you took something bottom rung when you lost your other job.

Something else people fail to address, is that in industries other than tradework, a layoff is often a nice way for the company to let you go.

Meaning, if you expect to get back in the job market, you can expect to go back to an entry level position.

Even if it was a genuine layoff, the company still chose you over it's other employees to layoff. The new company that you are applying to is well aware of HR practices. So you are basically starting from scratch again.

This should be a motivator though, not something that limits you.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
The main problem between these days and the golden days of employment is that it is next to impossible to start a business from nothing anymore. This used to be the bread and butter of the north american job market. Can't fins a job? Employ yourself. Even the most simple idea needs huge startup costs. Licenses, permits, permissions, regulations, inspections. Not to mention everything is about location now.

Big companies have done well to keep the little guy down.

Oh and yeah there are jobs but what I love are the jobs that used to pay well have been turned into temporary/casual positions that pay very little. And once you are in these positions some companies will not.let you advance to a higher position and just take someone from the street for those jobs. I work for such a company and its frustrating. Im more qualified to do jobs in this company than half the people they hire to do a job that pays twice as much. But im not considered for those. Can't go work somehwere else because in my industry we are practically the only place in town that pays more than min wage.

Frustrated. Only make 40k when others make 100k to do the same job.

not true i started my own internet distribution company for under 200 dollars and it nets 20k annually. using outdated business models to try and compete in this economy is asking for starvation.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I am so glad that none of you are running for any political office! These statements are almost word-for-word what the politicians say about the unemployed while at the same time sending the good jobs overseas and to Mexico. I really hope you all feel good about yourselves while sitting on your pedestals looking down. Pathetic!!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
At the moment I'm working in a warehouse for min wage. It's not to bad, but i went from $1900 a week to min wage after being laid off. It's a big drop in earnings but you do what you have to do.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
people need to stop blaming politicians and others for their own pride. the inability to find work inthe USA in most job markets is the failing of the person not the politicians. How many americans work in the fields picking fruit and veggies? how many are dish washers, maids, landscapers?

you have set your standards so high as to be an active participant in your own failure.

pride comes before a fall. Proverbs 16:18

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
give me a lawnmower and a weed whacker and i can earn 200 dollars a day easily. America has become the land of the lazy, and the home of the handout.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Maybe you guys can offer some advise

I live in northern ontario. The most technologically void places in ontario. My areas of expertise are electronics and electrical engineering, telecommunications, networking, structured cabling, or basically anything tha runs on electricity I can repair or install. I also learn new things in this area quite rapidly. In short im good at what I do. My problem is that a good paying job in my city is out of the question. We are too behind in the times and not avery economically important city for big companies.
I have come to the conclusion I must move cities. Due.to.family issues I can't leave the province. And my wife and I feel we wont be happy in the southern ontario metropolitan areas. So im looking at places like ottawa, london, collingwood, peterborough. Etc. My problem is I don't know where to start. I checked places like workopolis but couldn't find much info. Alot of companies want massive qualifications even though I know they do not need it. Most other companies don't have online apps or anything to that effect. Its tough to find information. I've done my homework but haven't turned anything up.
What should I be.doing or is there something im missing?
edit on 11/8/14 by metaldemon2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

Perhaps actually contributing to the discussion will help in better understanding of the current topic rather than point out our flaws.
Here is what I see. There are three classess of unemployed or underemployed
1. Those who don't want to do squat.
2. Those who lack experience or knowledge.
3. Those who want better jobs who are qualified and have alot of drive.

The problem is opportunity and location.
Perhaps there should be a better system for the purposes of relocation of workforce.
lots of people are trapped where they live.

What say you?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join