It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida cities, counties must take local gun laws off books

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Florida cities, counties must take local gun laws off books

www.orlandosentinel.com

Orange County employees have started removing "no firearms" signs at county parks, and soon they'll probably black out the same words on brochures. In Groveland, leaders recently erased from the books an ordinance that banned firing a gun into the air.

Supporters of the law, signed in June by Gov. Rick Scott, contend that it was needed to have consistent firearm regulations across Florida. By doing away with local restrictions, it allows people with state-issued concealed-weapons permits to carry firearms in places where they should have been allowed all along, according to the NRA. That
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I don't agree with most of the things Florida has ruled on, but this is a positive change. I'm all for being able to carry a firearm in a park and anyone with a state issued Concealed Weapons Permit should be able to.

Also, chalk one up for the Consititution. It's not dead yet!
"The Constitution protects the right to keep and bear arms," said Marion Hammer, lobbyist for the NRA. "Local governments are not allowed to regulate the Bill of Rights."

The article goes on to say that Boca Raton has removed their "no guns allowed sign" from City Hall.

From the article:
"There is a little concern" about public safety, Suedmeyer said. "The bad guys that carry guns would bring them into the parks regardless."
.... and now the criminals are aware that the good guys will be there too to give them a run for their money, in my opinion.

Although this is a win for gun advocates and I agree with the changes being made, I still firmly believe that guns should never be fired into the air. After October 1st of this year, it will no longer be illegal to fire a gun into the air. I still believe that this activity should remain illegal. I've read enough stories where people have been killed by these stray bullets. Most responsible gun owners would never fire a gun into the air unless they were in the middle of nowhere, but there's many people out there who wouldn't think twice about doing this in a suburb.

Thoughts?

www.orlandosentinel.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 14-8-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Sounds good to me...

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
why is there all of a sudden an influx of firearm laws being put into place. All across the country we are seeing new laws being put into place where firearms can be carried into restaurants, parks and even bars and I am just wondering why all a sudden this is being initiated? Are they expecting us to have to defend ourselves at some point in time and that is why they are being so much more lax on these gun laws and allowing us to carry them around in bars and parks and the such? Why are we now being allowed to carry when before it was against the law?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Thread already here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Thanks for pointing that out. I did a quick search, but didn't see it. Next time, I'll go right to the Breaking News forums and see if it's there.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mustangill

That's interesting. I showed my brother the recent videos of trainloads of military vehicles. He said he thinks they're preparing to defend against an attack. I hadn't thought about the reversals on gun controls, but , now that you mention it, I can see it as part of a defense plan. Then again, my tin foil hat is firmly in place.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
They legalized firing guns into the air? Do they mean like straight up cause that's crazy. The number one rule of guns is always have a backstop. Only exception is for skeet shooting since those pellets don't go far.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

I know it's hard to believe, but it's true.

From the article:

In Groveland, leaders recently erased from the books an ordinance that banned firing a gun into the air.

Here's some scientific info the irresponsible gun owner should read:
"The saying "What goes up must come down" is an appropriate starting point. If you fire a gun into the air, the bullet will travel up to a mile high (depending on the angle of the shot and the power of the gun). Once it reaches its apogee, the bullet will fall. Air resistance limits its speed, but bullets are designed to be fairly aerodynamic, so the speed is still quite lethal if the bullet happens to hit someone. In rural areas, the chance of hitting someone is remote because the number of people is low. In crowded cities, however, the probability rises dramatically, and people get killed quite often by stray bullets. Most major cities have laws in place to try to keep people from shooting guns into the air in celebration."
Source: science.howstuffworks.com...

Groveland, Florida and everywhere else for that matter needs to keep this on the books as an illegal activity and punishable to the full extent of the law.

I do wonder how the NRA feels about this. I would hope they wouldn't ever condone firing a gun into the air for any other reasons than what I mentioned in the original Op (in the wilderness or on a ranch to frighten off a predator rather than killing it).

top topics

join