It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Buy 1lb T-Bone Steaks With My Food Stamp Card

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

neon urine from B-12 means more water intake or more exercise. I drink 1 gallon water and work out an hour a day and all clear here.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Well done mate..

I'm by no means poor and I shop and cook every day..
I never hesitate to buy a good reduced price piece of meat..

Regardless of your financial position it never hurts to save.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

So, you put your life on the line for others and your family sacrificed a normal home life with you as well. (cos that is the nature of a forces life).
Now you're in need and you think you need to offer a little justification for how you spend the welfare that you're entitled to?

Bollox, mate, you earned every damn penny and a lot more besides, you enjoy the steak, I just hope someone buys you a couple of beers to wash your dinner down.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

I don't know why but I love the word "Bollox"

Must remind me of good ole England that I left many moons ago...

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
our hamburgs are made from ground london broil steak...
it happens to be cheaper than hamburg and the store is willing to grind it up for your for free.....
has less fat so goes farther...

and that's the only steak I eat, I generally don't like steak....unless you are talking venison steak.....

I remember a time not that long ago my family was trying to feed the five of us on around $30 a week.....
that was such a fun time!!! enjoy your steaks....and I will continue thanking god every night for that one little state senator that had the chat with the doctor and convince him (read pressured him) into operating on my foot, so I can walk and hold down a job!!! so we don't have to live on $30 a week food stamps while while pitching in to help others buy steak and shrimp and whatever else....

don't so much mind helping people like the op with such things after all both he and his wife did their time, and pitched into the system to help it run....
but the ones who are playing the system well, we need to find a way to get them to do some time also....

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Maybe I am going to play devils advocate here since everyone is praising this post, but I worked in a grocery store for six years and I can see some things.

While the OP may be deserved of such things, it is pretty sad that many people don't qualify for food stamps, yet don't make enough money to afford the luxuries of the red meat this man is buying. I couldn't count the amount of time that people on food stamps came in and bought the most expensive and elaborate meats they could, and I rarely EVER saw anyone besides stamps users to that.

I also was riddled with the comments when they bought things such as two pounds of beef sticks for close to $30-$40 dollars without batting an eyelash. I sure as hell couldn't afford those and neither could my coworkers at the time.

The sad reality is that myself and my coworkers were working 40 hours a week, mostly doing the task of cash register and mundane grocery bagging, tasks that any person regardless of disability would be able to do, and yet we weren't make as much money as people on food stamps. Absolutely ridiculous and a testament to this broken system.

But what was the nail in the coffin for me, and what led to my quitting of said job, was my persistence to comment when people on food stamps to buy tobacco products and hundreds in dollars of other products that stamps wouldn't cover. Meanwhile I got to watch how their children ran around with shoes with their toes sticking out and holed up clothing, and needless to say, I was unable to keep quiet to these ingrates to society.

So sure. I'm sure you deserved to be retired early, and that possibly you are an exception to some of these people. But honestly, you come on here spouting about the food you buy and throwing it into peoples faces, even if that is not your intention, and what do you expect? Sympathy? A congratulations? Approval?

I don't give a dame about what you do with our corrupt system. But know that in the future, regardless of what ailments you have, you are going to have to come to terms with self reliance. I honestly would not be able to accept a hand out from anybody, and I am proud of that. I guess we are just two different people.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Forget about what you buy with your food stamps. My question is why the hell did I ETS when I am currently dealing with 8 or 9 of your medical issues. At least you got a medical retirement. I'm stuck dealing with the VA.

9 months, 2 surgeries later I am still waiting on my initial claim to process.

I called VA a couple of days ago and was basically told to shut up and wait. Because their priorities are all the Vietnam soldiers that THEY screwed over with the Agent Orange claims.

Now my family and I have to take the back seat and shut up and wait for my claim to go through.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread with my issues. Everything just kinda spilled over.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
In my opinion, not that it matters, is that everyone is missing the entire point of this thread.

My neighbor, who's 81, said that she hates to see people on food stamps buying meat. Why? Poor people shouldn't eat meat?

I have no problem with people eating meat. Some consider it to be a proper nutrition in moderation.

Hot items are the only things you can't purchase on food stamps.

In all honesty, think of all the crap that's bought with food stamps. Cakes, potato chips, candy, donuts, etc. THIS is the stuff that should get the sneers in the check out line. Not meat.

You go, Op. Keep buying anything on those food stamps that doesn't contain empty calories.

edit on 14-8-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I had shared this on another link, thought I would here as well. Knowing how hard it can be to be survive off the FS program, and eat healthy...here is a link to check out. You can enter your zip code to find the closest location. The food choices are decent, and the food is not bad at all. They have several "boxes" to chose from and the menu (boxes) change every month.

I recall times where they had a good "meat box"...different cuts of steaks and red meats.

You can order 1 box or several different boxes.

They accept food stamps.

Place your order. Pick up on the day its delivered.

www.angelfoodministries.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
You know, a big part of me wants to say "you are freakon' welcome you sorry S.O.B.", but hopefully you are merely teaching yourself to fish.
Just don't get too comfy and complacent because when the SHTF you and many others like you will be totally helpless.
And don't expect the govt to help you at that time because as far I am concerned you've used up your free bingo square.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Sounds like a great recipe for a heartattack.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Tnewguy

Don't feel to bad,Ive been waiting for thirty years to get some help from the VA, but guess what..
still waiting..and waiting..lol

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
So you cannot support a family, yet you keep having kids?

You are a great example of the problem this Country faces, to receive any public assistance, the net-moochers should agree to stop producing children. Failure to comply should result in immediate cessation of all assistance.

Don't like that condition? You are free to have as many children as you want, you are not welcome to continue as and increase your net-mooching.

(slightly) tough love.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Judge judge judge...
He was incapacitated while serving, he deserves to feed his family meat goshdarnit!

Has anyone else noticed how expensive chicken is getting? 6 boneless breasts for $30 here. It's become unaffordable, Whatever happened to "A chicken in every pot", right?

I have been trying to save by buying less desirable cuts of meat. Have you tried cooking pig's tails? They are cheap, like cottage roll and other less desirable cuts of pork. Sausages are always cheap, and you're right the frozen beef is usually a good idea. My problem is the reduced priced beef is always really old and funky and no matter how I cook it it's like green apples through a horse for me. I'm forced to either buy fresh meat or none at all and that's where it gets too expensive to eat what I would like to.

We are going to have to start supplementing what we normally buy in the grocery stores anyway. I have some vegetable and fruit gardens going right now to do just that. The broccoli is ready and I'm making a stir-fry with some pork strips tonight that were like 15 strips for less than $10. So that will make at least 2 meals for three guys, and it's going to cost less than $15 total with some rice and sauce.

Back in the city you have to expect to spend $10 per person per meal just to eat! A bottle of orange juice is like $8! It's difficult just to make ends meet when you're paying out the nose every day like that.

Next option.. hunting whatever wanders onto the property that looks tasty. Next spring I'm buying chicks!
edit on 14/8/11 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
well enjoy..at 60 I'm not supposed to be eating like that and well honestly I don't have a taste for 'em as I would
have when I was young. you may get more bang for your buck so to speak but in the end you can buy less food.
now if you go organic you will really pay for eating good..i mean really good !!! as in good for you..they say a
person needs meat and i agree..question is what is in what we eat now days..be it expensive or processed food?
is the expensive meat better for you than some other product that provides that kind of protein?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
My opinion, is that if you are an American citizen, you should automatically qualify for food assistance, regardless of income. We should all eat healthy, and it's a much more worth while cause than spending our tax dollars on some of the ridiculous things the U.S. government spends it on. Free food for all Americans (not an unlimited amount per month, but amount determined on number of people, not income) vs. Free death for all American Soldiers in an war that should've never been waged (Afghanistan/Iraq). It's a LOT cheaper to feed everyone than to kill only some.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

oooops, ok, missed that ... so, if you're familiar and want / need some recipes, do ask.

I actually am interested, though I generally just throw in what sounds good in the morning. I'm drinking my second juice as we speak!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot
So you cannot support a family, yet you keep having kids?

You are a great example of the problem this Country faces, to receive any public assistance, the net-moochers should agree to stop producing children. Failure to comply should result in immediate cessation of all assistance.

Don't like that condition? You are free to have as many children as you want, you are not welcome to continue as and increase your net-mooching.

(slightly) tough love.

People like you disgusts me. I bet this guy served his country more than you.
So just because you get sick you should be left to yourself with basically no rights??
Maybe some of issues developed while he was SERVING you and your country as well.

Even though there are people who abuse the system, that is still just a small fraction compared to tax dollars that is eaten up on warfare and similar.

I bet you will sing a different song if you or a close family member happens to fall ill one day.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Steer away from the ground beef.
Buy cuts on sale and grind your own. The chance of ecoli contamination is close to zero that way.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Congrats, I guess?

I don't quite understand the reason behind so much detail in this post. A simple intro concerning your family situation and a yes, we used food stamps would have sufficed. That's JMO.

My concern for EVERYONE on food stamps is the program may not continue to receive the funding that it has in the past. I see a reduction in benefits, some people losing benefits, and others not qualifying for them due to new regulations. What will you guys do if that happens?

Also, I see you throwing your steak purchase around (liver is much better as is lamb) but what are you doing to save for a rainy day? Chicken and liver goes a lot further than steak.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join