It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spam problems, incompetent tech support

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I'm about to go bonkers. One of these work at home outfits somehow accessed my address book and is sending messages to everyone in it.

I called Comcast for help. The tech said I need to contact my computer manufacturer because Comcast is powerless to do anything about it. She said it was a hardware problem.

My computer manufacturer?? A HARDWARE problem??

She didn't know what UNIX was. Or Linux.

Comcast's security product is CONSTANT Guard. Lots of info on windows, not a word on Linux. I am running Ubuntu Linux.

Emails to the company are accepted, after approval, of course.

Any ideas on how to block those yoyos from accessing my email? I'd esp. like an app that would throw their message back in their face.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Maybe the apps are where your problem lays, as you know especially with those wonderful free apps that everyone is downloading, it has come to recent knowledge that once you accept the T&C`s the company creating the app(s) has a right to not only access your cell phone plan but Data plan over all as well and if your cell or iphone or ipad data plan is on the same monthly plan as your home internet or network service, then they can access that as well and gather any and all contacts even from Hotmail or plenty of fish etc...That is where the craziness starts, they will send out auto texts and emails to all your friends, family, clients in your network (address book) and unbenounced to you, your data plan starts to sky rocket, month after month and by the time you catch on, you have been bilked out of THOUSANDS!

This scam is fresh, its hot, its smart and its totally legal. Who do the telecom companies really control.!

edit on 13-8-2011 by misfitofscience because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
What part of "free" don't people get yet ?

"Free" ATS? Yes,If you don't mind some ads on the sight. Big Whupp.

"Free" downloads? Like they haven't figured out how to add code for their own gain.

How about "Free" anything on TV for a second bacth of what they're selling, just pay extra shipping and handling fee. Oh the "handling fee" is more money than the product they ship.

How about "money back gaurentee" while we're ranting?

YOU try and cancel that automatic deduction from you credit card. They already have your info.

Free Software to download has gotten worse and worse with the "added"value they suck from your information when you agree to their T an S.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
I'm about to go bonkers. One of these work at home outfits somehow accessed my address book and is sending messages to everyone in it.

I called Comcast for help. The tech said I need to contact my computer manufacturer because Comcast is powerless to do anything about it. She said it was a hardware problem.

My computer manufacturer?? A HARDWARE problem??

She didn't know what UNIX was. Or Linux.

Comcast's security product is CONSTANT Guard. Lots of info on windows, not a word on Linux. I am running Ubuntu Linux.

Emails to the company are accepted, after approval, of course.

Any ideas on how to block those yoyos from accessing my email? I'd esp. like an app that would throw their message back in their face.

PEBKAC. Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

More than likely you allowed them to access your contacts. It's not Comcast's responsibility to keep your contacts safe for you. It's yours.
A google search will turn up some malware products for linux. However you don't really need them. Just better browsing habits and reading everything when you install software.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by misfitofscience

Maybe the apps are where your problem lays, as you know especially with those wonderful free apps that everyone is downloading, it has come to recent knowledge that once you accept the T&C`s the company creating the app(s) has a right to not only access your cell phone plan but Data plan over all as well and if your cell or iphone or ipad data plan is on the same monthly plan as your home internet or network service, then they can access that as well and gather any and all contacts even from Hotmail or plenty of fish etc...That is where the craziness starts, they will send out auto texts and emails to all your friends, family, clients in your network (address book) and unbenounced to you, your data plan starts to sky rocket, month after month and by the time you catch on, you have been bilked out of THOUSANDS!

This scam is fresh, its hot, its smart and its totally legal. Who do the telecom companies really control.!

Man, you are so right! But I know better than to sign up for that crap. I never would accept any terms of their T&C. In fact, I never access their website other that a cursory look to see what the scam is.
edit on 13-8-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

What part of "free" don't people get yet ?

"Free" ATS? Yes,If you don't mind some ads on the sight. Big Whupp.

"Free" downloads? Like they haven't figured out how to add code for their own gain.

How about "Free" anything on TV for a second bacth of what they're selling, just pay extra shipping and handling fee. Oh the "handling fee" is more money than the product they ship.

How about "money back gaurentee" while we're ranting?

YOU try and cancel that automatic deduction from you credit card. They already have your info.

Free Software to download has gotten worse and worse with the "added"value they suck from your information when you agree to their T an S.

I never signed up, downloaded, clicked any Accept buttons, nothing, nada.

Once a month I'm cleaning up my daughter or my mom's disk because they are like moths to that crap.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

PEBKAC. Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

More than likely you allowed them to access your contacts. It's not Comcast's responsibility to keep your contacts safe for you. It's yours.
A google search will turn up some malware products for linux. However you don't really need them. Just better browsing habits and reading everything when you install software.

Three replies and three of the same WRONG answers.

I never downloaded anything.

Obviously you guys think every such problem is self-induced.:shk:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Since you are on linux it is highly unlikely that some malware took a look at your contacts.
You didn't install anything so that's a no go either.
Somewhere along the line you allowed them access to your contact book.

Where did you have these contacts?

And try looking at the companies website for removal information.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

reply to post by mishigas

Since you are on linux it is highly unlikely that some malware took a look at your contacts.

And try looking at the companies website for removal information. reply to post by mishigas

And try looking at the companies website for removal information.

You've seen the ads, I'm sure..."Mom discovers way to make $8,000 per month." They are always on the side of my screen when I open my mail app. The company is Home Wealth Solutions and the website is Link

I had no contact at all with them, other than MAYBE peeking at their website to see what their scam was. In and out in less than 10 seconds. Clicked nothing except 'Close Tab'. I honestly don't remember if I even did that.

Removal? Removal of WHAT??

top topics

join