Our Universe May Be a 'Multiverse,' Scientists Say

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Our Universe May Be a 'Multiverse,' Scientists Say

Is our universe just one of many? While the concept is bizarre, it's a real possibility, according to scientists who have devised the first test to investigate the idea.

The potential that we live in a multiverse arises from a theory called eternal inflation, which posits that shortly after the Big Bang that formed the universe, space-time expanded at different rates in different places, giving rise to bubble universes that may function with their own separate laws of physics.

Source

Ah, Multiverses, internet reality but finally may be a reality throughout... Interesting as the study evolves, thought I'd share.

Fun to think for some;
Number copies of the universe, but each one unique. Another you in another situation, took the other path on the road, indeed you did!
Or maybe, I've been watching too much Red Dwarf.
edit on 13-8-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Cute. Scientists are like little babies learning to walk and talk. It just takes a little bit of time, and they get better and better.

Only they have been 2 years old for past 100 years.
edit on 8/13/2011 by athenegoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by athenegoddess
Cute. Scientists are like little babies learning to walk and talk. It just takes a little bit of time, and they get better and better.

Only they have been 2 years old for past 100 years.
edit on 8/13/2011 by athenegoddess because: (no reason given)

Ahh that is a bit rough. I was just thinking how cute it was that they've proved that other stuff might exist! And with math of all things. Quite a trick! They are working on a theory right now that posits math might not mean anything.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh...
They are working on a theory right now that posits math might not mean anything.

Equations with the square root of -1 (or other negative numbers) should've been a big clue.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

They are working on a theory right now that posits math might not mean anything.

Equations with the square root of -1 (or other negative numbers) should've been a big clue.

I had to google that one
Thanks!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by athenegoddess

Multiverse theories have been under criticism. So, it's been a bit more of a challenge to move forward with proof, thus why they have been slow on it.

reply to post by rwfresh

I'd like to see them disprove Fibonacci (sarcasm intended!).
edit on 13-8-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I believe it to be true and actually an easily observed detail
see every galaxy is in fact its own separate universes within the multi-verse, with each galaxy being dominated by the black hole which is the center of and controlling structure that dictates how all energy within its gravitational influence time and moment through space which allows each point to transfer energy in different way like stars which similarly effects the planets around them down to the comets and asteroids with each experiencing the pull from their gravity within and the effects of larger objects as well each with its own relative experience of time
meaning a black hole functions on the same principals that allows the sun and stars to function with only the density of mass present determining the result of what overcomes electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces making fusion possible in situations where enough energy is present in a single space and the earth which has lesser nuclear forces work within it .

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh

Originally posted by abecedarian

I had to google that one
Thanks!

Have to love "i" (imaginary numbers.
)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
Multiverse theories have been under criticism. So, it's been a bit more of a challenge to move forward with proof, thus why they have been slow on it.
That article is pretty pathetic in the proof category:

"It brings the idea of eternal inflation and bubble collisions into the realm of testable science," said research team member Daniel Mortlock, an astrophysicist at Imperial College London...
Mortlock and the team, led by graduate student Stephen Feeney of University College London, searched the best available observations of the cosmic microwave background for signs of bubble universe collisions, but didn't find anything conclusive...
The researchers developed a computer algorithm to analyze CMB observations for patterns that would fit. In data from NASA's Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP), the program found four regions in the universe that were flagged as promising. However, statistical analyses suggested these patterns were likely to be random, resembling the circular shapes of collisions simply by coincidence.
So they've looked for proof in "the realm of testable science", and they haven't found any: "didn't find anything conclusive".

At least they think they know what to look for. I guess they'll keep looking. I think they've been reading too much sci-fi.

I can also say I'll have documented proof of ghosts when the utensils at the unused place settings at the table start moving by themselves, and I videotape it. I'm still looking at the utensils, they haven't moved yet. But I may be on the verge of having proof of ghosts if I see them start to move. That's about the way that article reads to me. (Well, they did move during an earthquake once, but I guess that doesn't count as proof of ghosts
)

Let me know when they find something conclusive.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by dreamingawake

Let me know when they find something conclusive.

You'll die waiting.
edit on 13-8-2011 by rwfresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
nm
edit on 14-8-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

according to scientists who have devised the first test to investigate the idea

Ok, now maybe I've seen and read too much sci-fi, but this sounds like a terrible idea. FRINGE, anyone?
edit on 14-8-2011 by dontdrinkthewater because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh
You'll die waiting.

I'll die someday, and I'm sort of hoping SETI might find something interesting before I die.

But I'm not really waiting for any proof of multiverses.

If they find it, I'll be surprised, but that's OK, I like surprises.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
wonder what other universes would be like.

new topics
top topics

join