It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On gay marriage...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
Why is this even an issue?

In 2004 shortly after burying his gay father, Karl Rove went on an 11 state tour of "swing states" to make the anti-gay marriage amendment a central issue.

Karls father left home when Karl was 18 to move to LA to live openly as a gay man.

Like all of us, Karl's life experience informed his professional life.

Karl Rove was a mastermind of making "hot-button" issues the central talking point in campaigns.

The idea is that if you can interject emotional thinking into the political debate, those emotional issues will over-shadow/over-ride other issues and divide the voters along "social values" as opposed to real issues like Economics, unemployment, wars.

It is a useful political strategy and not limited to Gay Marriage.

But when you see through the fog of the BS of the talking heads it is really remarkable...really? Who gives a crap?

Best estimates are that between 1-2% of the population is gay...and of that, how many would want to marry? and if they do...who gives a crap? How would it effect your job? your family? Your child serving in Afghanistan? Your paycheck? How the ef do we end up having a national debate about this at a time of national crisis?

It is just old fashioned manipulation.

Karl Rove himself has now been divorced twice and is working on his third wife!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

I know you don't care Annee. There are lot's of things you evidently care nothing about.

I care about discussing the subject - - not attacking people.

Your tendency to "personalize" your posts in a derogatory manor - - - disparages any valued point you might actually attempt to make.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
at least you have the honesty to mention you be doing it for the money.
Thats why weddings sux in general.
ppl does it for the $$$$, well at least 1 outta 2.
the other one is usually pretty naive.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

But here is an interesting report on the lack of male role models in the black family, and I do not necessarily agree with everything said in this report, but I thought it was an interesting point of study that the lack of male role models in single-mother homes were a major factor in the psychological and emotional stressors causing problems for young black teens.

Where are the economic factors in these studies?

Where are the studies on black career women who have chosen to be single?

All these studies tend to be very bias.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I know you don't care Annee. There are lot's of things you evidently care nothing about.

I care about discussing the subject - - not attacking people.

Your tendency to "personalize" your posts in a derogatory manor - - - disparages any valued point you might actually attempt to make.

Oh right but you can say the Bible has zero interest for you because it's 2000 years old.... ok so you can make derogatory statements about a 2000 year old book but I cant point out your obvious bias? Ok Annee, sure thing. Because you don't care that makes your point the all -important thing here. Let's be honest Annee, you have a liberal bias and have contempt for the more conservative views, you just know how to cloak it so it doesn't appear overtly contemptuous, but you do not fool everyone here.
In fact it's really quite hilarious that while my original point was biblical, you pointed out the age of the document as rendering the content there in not valuable, then I pointed out the obviouis anthropological tendencies of the human family at least to 100,000 years ago, and now you are telling me that I'm personalizing it too much. That's a gem Annee. I even posted a PDF of a study on black male role models in families. I almost posted a pro-Obama blog discussing Obama as a positive role model for black males. Oh well....
edit on 16-8-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Perhaps from your standpoint, the Sumerian Tablets have no relevance in the arena of human development, and oh maybe even the classics Plato and Socrates.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

But here is an interesting report on the lack of male role models in the black family, and I do not necessarily agree with everything said in this report, but I thought it was an interesting point of study that the lack of male role models in single-mother homes were a major factor in the psychological and emotional stressors causing problems for young black teens.

Where are the economic factors in these studies?

Where are the studies on black career women who have chosen to be single?

All these studies tend to be very bias.

So in order for that study to have value, there must be an alternate study on same-sex families? The study never even goes into that, it merely reflects the lack of a male role model in a household.
And by the way, you should really take the mote out of your own eye with regard to bias and attacks on others.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I would say keep all religious texts out of the debate, as such would imply that both sides follow the same belief, to which not many do. Religious dogma is a down fall to any debate, and should never be used in any political debate as they it starts to mar the line of the separation of church and state. Marriage, at one time was in the prevue of the religious, but that is long ago, and is now more in the political/state realm. While it is a sad state of affairs that religion is used as an excuse as to not allow something to happen, picking and choosing the rules and laws that we find suitable and disregarding the rest. The bible, in all of its text and writing, has over 600 laws and rules that should be followed, beyond those that people would use to state as to why gay people can not marry. And one would be hard press to find someone in this modern day and age that would follow all 600, down to the letter as it is written. Beyond the religious exception, there really is no reason as to why 2 people who are the same sex can not get married, non that has been brought up, where the arguments can not be countered by what occurs everyday in the world. Not one reason or exception can be found, yet so many balk at the mere idea of such, and that ultimately goes back to the idea of fearing of social change.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

So in order for that study to have value, there must be an alternate study on same-sex families? The study never even goes into that, it merely reflects the lack of a male role model in a household.

Yes while at the same time not accounting for economic circumstances of the families in question.

Rather than interject the near irrelevant statistics with regards to absentee black fathers, why not actually look at studies regarding gay parents?

AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS

Technical Report: Coparent or Second-Parent Adoption by Same-Sex Parents
A growing body of scientific literature demonstrates that children who grow up with 1 or 2 gay and/or lesbian parents fare as well in emotional, cognitive, social, and sexual functioning as do children whose parents are heterosexual. Children’s optimal development seems to be influenced more by the nature of the relationships and interactions within the family unit than by the particular structural form it takes.

aappolicy.aappublications.org...;109/2/341?fulltext=&searchid=QID_NOT_SET

New York University International Study

Children raised by same-sex couples appear to do as well as those raised by parents of both sexes, suggests an international research review that challenges the long-ingrained belief that children need male and female parents for healthy adjustment.

"It's more about the quality of the parenting than the gender of the parents," says Judith Stacey of New York University, co-author of the comprehensive review. It will be published Friday in the Journal of Marriage and Family

www.usatoday.com...

Tufts University School of Medicine

"There are a lot of children with at least one gay or lesbian parent," says Ellen C. Perrin, MD, professor of pediatrics at Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston. She revealed the findings at the American Academy of Pediatrics Conference and Exhibition.

Between 1 million and 6 million children in the U.S. are being reared by committed lesbian or gay couples, she says. Children being raised by same-sex parents were either born to a heterosexual couple, adopted, or conceived through artificial insemination.

"The vast consensus of all the studies shows that children of same-sex parents do as well as children whose parents are heterosexual in every way," she tells WebMD. "In some ways children of same-sex parents actually may have advantages over other family structures."

www.webmd.com...

What happens to kids raised by gay parents?

Research suggests that they turn out about the same, no better, no worse and no more likely to be gay than other kids
Read more: www.post-gazette.com...

But lets get back to discussing a study about black children in single mother households...yah that's the ticket!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haxsaw
Nope, no gay marriage, and kids need to grow up with a mother and a father(if possible) not two mums or two dads, its an insult to the human race. I also believe with well over half the world being religious if we were to put gay marriage to a vote in a democracy, it would lose.

Around 50 years ago homosexuality was considered a disease, well it still is, regardless of how imbecilic society and the governments have become, it should be frowned upon and not supported by any government under any circumstances. Next we'll have weirdos saying our cult of 500 homosexuals wants to have one big marriage, and we want the right to bring up as many kids as we like so they can be brain-washed by our perversion, no thanks, the line needs to be drawn at gay marriage, these freaks wouldnt have even been born if their parents were as perverted as they are.
edit on 14-8-2011 by Haxsaw because: (no reason given)

And your disease is? Religion? Ignorance?

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join