It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul's second place means the straw poll can not be marginalized

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

bhahahahaha

Randy Travis? I wouldn't sign my soul to Bachmann unless Randy Travis was handing out Orange Sunshine Tabs.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Dance4Life

Maybe not for the Randy Travis but possibly for the free steak dinner?
This is Iowa though and I think Mr. Travis is probably pretty popular 'in these here parts...' haha

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by EagleTalonZ

Lived in IA for most of my life coincidentally.

Pretty good people to tell you the truth. But I'll be damned if I ever "get" Randy Travis.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
only 1 president have even been chosen by the straw poll

that was ghb way back when since then it has never gotten it right.

so meh.

i am marginalizing the straw poll.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
only 1 president have even been chosen by the straw poll

that was ghb way back when since then it has never gotten it right.

so meh.

i am marginalizing the straw poll.

I guess that's good luck then that Ron Paul didn't win. We certainly don't want him in the same boat as George W. Bush.

It's all a big conspiracy by Ron Paul supporters to get second place so the straw poll would not be marginalized. Those sneaky libertarians

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Nice!

It's only possible because we're a bunch of basement-dwelling hacker geniuses running the numbers and stacking the deck in our favor!

Viva la revolucion!

(Psst..."the swallows fly at midnight"! Implement scenario 2!)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
on the main yahoo news page, there is a poll asking who you would have voted for in the straw poll, and Ron Paul is winning!news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

edit on 13-8-2011 by toolstarr because: double post

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
If MB moves more towards the center, then she will become the next president. RP's only hope against her, is to highlight the fact that she is so far to the right. His performance only shows how unhappy people are with what is going on with our government. That will change and he will eventually no longer be a factor in 2012.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I'm a left leaning tree hugging progressive. "republican" is pretty much a nasty word in my house. but I do have a question and I think it deserves an answer. OK, so this straw poll; like a prior poster had said you need to buy a ticket for $30 to make your straw count. so why can the actual candidates buy these tickets and give them out? it seems kind of flawed, almost like you are buying the results. if you want a straw poll do it but attach no fees and maybe you'd get a legitimate feel for how these candidates stack up. I mean if Paul is everything so many on here claim he is why did he feel the need to buy (was it thousands?) of tickets and give them out? ........... me thinks I know why the msm pays this poll no heed; it makes no sense. ........... just my opinion
edit on 13-8-2011 by LooksLikeWeMadeIt because: typo/ beer fingers

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by EagleTalonZ

One of my friends on facebook made that same point. It's very profound and completely changed my mood. My immediate status is that I felt like puking when Bachmann won. Now I'm stoked!

Everyone worked really hard on the phones, facebook connections, word of mouth, etc. We all know the MSM is doing all they can to ignore him so it's our job to get his name out there and get him in the White House.

Good post!

I spent the day playing with my kids, going to the zoo, and enjoying life. I know it won't make a difference who is in the white house or congress. Pssst...he will never be elected.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Either way, I'm glad he did so well and in all honesty, glad he didn't win so they can't say, "It wasn't an important poll."

Well, what is the real importance of this poll exactly? Who have all the past winner been?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LooksLikeWeMadeIt

I'm a left leaning tree hugging progressive. "republican" is pretty much a nasty word in my house. but I do have a question and I think it deserves an answer. OK, so this straw poll; like a prior poster had said you need to buy a ticket for $30 to make your straw count. so why can the actual candidates buy these tickets and give them out? it seems kind of flawed, almost like you are buying the results. if you want a straw poll do it but attach no fees and maybe you'd get a legitimate feel for how these candidates stack up. I mean if Paul is everything so many on here claim he is why did he feel the need to buy (was it thousands?) of tickets and give them out? ........... me thinks I know why the msm pays this poll no heed; it makes no sense. ........... just my opinion

In Paul's case, at least, buying the tickets was non-binding. According to some news articles I saw, Bachmann's actually required a pledge that the person accepting would actually vote for her in the straw poll (yeah, I know, what are people's words worth anymore?).

As I read from the overall trends in the media, it's actually a better measure of who can organize the best ground-game, which I suppose is important in a general election - as well as being a semi-decent predictor of the winner of the Iowa caucuses and those candidates best reading the concerns of the involved electorate.

It's just another republican hoop to jump through, I suppose. But it tends to narrow the field by weeding out weaker candidates, whether or not the measures are valid.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by anton74

If MB moves more towards the center, then she will become the next president. RP's only hope against her, is to highlight the fact that she is so far to the right. His performance only shows how unhappy people are with what is going on with our government. That will change and he will eventually no longer be a factor in 2012.

I have to disagree there...Ron, despite being a paleoconservative, does not fit the mold of either party, and appeals to/disgusts both. Bachmann can move to the center, but Paul can outflank her seriously on such topics as foreign policy (interventionist policies/militarism and current engagements) and social issues such as the war on drugs - in addition to possible national challenges to Roe v. Wade, etc. He is also willing to slaughter the sacred cows of BOTH parties, and this appeals to both sides since there otherwise tends to be no movement one way or the other.

I think your suggested attempt to beat Bachmann is flawed because he IS so far to the right on some issues - but he can also get support from the disaffected opposition on far-"left" issues.

Ron Paul was the only viable republican option against Obama in the 2008 election...and is once again. If the people ever wake up to realize how "republicans" also harm the economy on a regular basis when in power, there will be no other shot against Obama beyond a challenger who recognized this in the next year and a half, and can hit those other big concerns.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by the owlbear

One of my friends on facebook made that same point. It's very profound and completely changed my mood. My immediate status is that I felt like puking when Bachmann won. Now I'm stoked!

Everyone worked really hard on the phones, facebook connections, word of mouth, etc. We all know the MSM is doing all they can to ignore him so it's our job to get his name out there and get him in the White House.

Good post!

I spent the day playing with my kids, going to the zoo, and enjoying life. I know it won't make a difference who is in the white house or congress. Pssst...he will never be elected.

Thats what they said about Ronald Reagan. Fact is he is leading in spite of the media idiots saying he is "not electable". Americans are fed up with the status quo. Ron Paul is just the right man with just the right message for the times.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

Either way, I'm glad he did so well and in all honesty, glad he didn't win so they can't say, "It wasn't an important poll."

Well, what is the real importance of this poll exactly? Who have all the past winner been?

Please allow me to answer. G. W. Bush and that is it. They never pick the winner. The straw poll is pointless. It has no bearing on the election or voter turnout. It means nothing in any real sense and it never has. It does give Ron Paul fans something to sqawk about though.

There are currently 3 threads on the straw poll not about Ron Paul that have nothing in them but posts about Ron Paul. There are countless other threads on ATS just about Ron Paul. Know what is usually missing? All the amazing intelligence his fans love him for. His awesome ideas, his platforms, his realistic plans for the country. I'd love to finally see some of his fans actually hit on that but they seem to be stuck in the same wordless world or the Teabaggers.

Why should I support them?
"Cuz if not you're stupid"
Well what do they want?
"Duh! The constitution, man!"
Oh, silly me.

Yeah. Go Ron Paul. Go straw poll. Go ATS conspiracy hungry minions. Wake me up when the people actually running for office finally get in place.
edit on 14-8-2011 by Kitilani because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

Know what is usually missing? All the amazing intelligence his fans love him for. His awesome ideas, his platforms, his realistic plans for the country. I'd love to finally see some of his fans actually hit on that but they seem to be stuck in the same wordless world or the Teabaggers.

..............................................Wake me up when the people actually running for office finally get in place.

hmmmmm........................

I guess you see what you want to see then.......Actually I posted in a few of those threads,and added many of Dr. Pauls stances,with Links. I also added how to register and gave a link. I also showed what an Isolationist and a non-interventionist are. Like I said,some like to see what they want to see. Some people never wake up either..............Sleep well.........

edit on 14-8-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I also heard that they handed out 4,000 tickets after hearing that Ron Paul had already given out 4,000+ tickets to the event. Interesting.

Even worse than I thoufght, then. So the idea is, whatever candidate gives out the most tickets to his/her supporters wins! I knew people had to "buy" tickets to vote, which makes the whole thing a farce in the first place, nothing more than a GOP fund-raising event. So both Bachman and Paul bought their first and second place "wins."

I guess that's more or less like a real election.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join