It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"gangsta" fad

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sublime4372

fact, you can even trace the history of rap back to back to the "griot" storytellers in west africa

thats kinda lame, cause all rap is, is just talking in rythym over someone elses music. its the ultimate in laziness. there is no creativity in it. exp: "how can one chaundra be so leevey? please. its made just to piss off people, make a controversy and have all the sheep go buy it. if your dumb enough to give these people money, the you dont deserve money.:bash:

Acually they or there people make there own beats first and then think of good creative lyrics to rap to. You make it sounds like they steal other peoples beats and then put lyrics on it! No they dont.

What do you listen to?

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Acually they or there people make there own beats first and then think of good creative lyrics to rap to. You make it sounds like they steal other peoples beats and then put lyrics on it! No they dont.

really rap doesnt involve stealing, wait, Im sorry, "sampling", anyoneelses music? i realize that their are a few who do some personal "beats" but true musicall theory is thrown out the window with this crap. they sound like nursery rhymes with bass. it doesnt take a genius. what takes genius is the ability to get all your money...

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Actually, I don't have a problem with sampling as most old timers have expressed a desire to be appreciated at will. George Clinton was among the first to say SAMPLE ME please.

What sucks is when they cheat and don't credit like Vanilla Ice did with Ice, Ice Baby...

OR when the young fans have no clue what they're hearing. Or worse think Rap is the end all be all and whoever is being sampled sucks. I've dealt with these punks that think OUTKAST are musical geniuses but Parliment/Funkadelic are tired (if they ever heard of them at all).

Come on!!! ALL HIP/HOP IS PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC. Bootsy Collins laid the bass for every song on the radio now 35 years ago.

Get ova yaselves. It's all retread. If you acknowledge that much, gravy. Enjoy it. I do. But I know it's a remix.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Well I think of them monkey's.......... If you think it's "cool" to rap like your singing nursery rhymes but with bs lyrics that are really really low like to the bottom of the food chain low, please let the world know how ignorant and numb you are, that way it's easier for us to differentiate between monkey's and human beings...

Don't associate yourself with wigger children, you should ask them if they know where wearing their pants so low came from.......
It actually came from prison, if you were a fag, you'd wear your pants low so guys could tell you apart and butt punk you in your ass...

Not to mention I guess grabbing at your crotch somehow makes you feel like a man?? Or tough?? How low have we as human beings gone? That's like someone sticking their finger in their ass to make sure it still smells......of course your balls are still going to be there....

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
It is affecting the kids in our school they walk around in really long T-Shirts and they sell drugs and yell rap lyrics at the top of their voice they assault the teachers it is like turning into a jungle for the youth of today they actually think that they have to sell or do drugs to become accepted into the gangsta lifestlye of today

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
I'm not saying conform, Im saying we need some fricken culture in our lives. As for lazyness being a factor, if anything its us pasty white americans (myself included) who are too lazy to learn another language. English is the hardest language to learn, so why the heck not pick up Spanish, Portugese, German, etc while one is young, its not likes its gonig to make you any less american. Just makes me kind of dissapointed that people want so little culture beyond what is the social minimum in their lives. Oh well, this has strayed too off topic so I shall not continue it.

Well i'm a pasty whitey and know some french and learning spanish currently...
Maybe it wouldn't hurt you to pick up a true language, and no that doesn't include ebonics... bling bling is NOT foreign, and neither is shiznit.... It's gutter language, and not romatic, not intelligent, nada, I don't think you'd get a job as an airline steward if you told them you spoke ebonics......

And speak for yourself on the whole "little culture" speech, maybe you don't because your still a child, and thats fine, but it wouldn't hurt to start now.....
You hate stereotyping but you do a pretty damn good job at generalizing everybody meaning white people...... your an insult to my people...

[Edited on 22-8-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Yikes you guys are getting old! I have two children age 2 and 5 but i still know a fad when i see one. Just wait till the next one comes out and then you will wish kids were wearing there baggy clothes and talking funny.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANTONIO
Yikes you guys are getting old! I have two children age 2 and 5 but i still know a fad when i see one. Just wait till the next one comes out and then you will wish kids were wearing there baggy clothes and talking funny.

Heh for your info im 15 and i started this post so i don't consider myself old at all lol
. I will never want anyone to return to that fad ever again so when the next one comes along and i disagree with it i will just remember how much more annoying the "gangsta" fad was .

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by thegreat59
I'm starting to get annoyed by the whole thing i mean the music industry is becoming completely rap and R&B dominated i don't know why people feel that they need to change their ways to fit into this fad alot of my friends feel if you don't like rap youre nobody. I hate the lingo as well it gets REALLY annoying why talk like an uneducated person when i know your clearly bright and intellegent :shk: . I am not racist but when a person acts like that it makes me less motivated to know them i know "normal" african American i have lots as my friends but little by little they seem to sucoumb to the increasing "fad" . The sooner this absurd trend is over the better i don't know how much more of this i can take. Oh and one more thing why does a black person feel obligated to act this way they are stereotyping themselves it's very sad.

Dont hate Dawg, Just because its not your cup of tea. Let people be who they want to be. Dont judge, You dont have the right.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I still like some rap. Dre's "Chronic 2001" is in my tape deck in the truck right now. I don't think it's the same caliber that it was before, but there are still some of what I call "real rappers" out there now. But I like Snoop and Dre because I get a kick out of them. I like Eminem because I think he's clever, a great rhymer and is incredibly honest and up front about himself. I understand fad and all, but this is a particularly damaging one, in my OPINION, because it's affecting more than just slang or fashion. There are kids who can turn the talk on and off, and that's fine. But there are kids who can't. It's not slang to them, it becomes the way they talk. All the time. Heavy Metal didn't affect my speech or demeanor enough to prevent me from being taken seriously when looking for a job. Neither did Punk. And the hair bands were actually a help when it came to makeup and hair styles. *L* None of these fads were damaging to my interactions with the mainstream world.

My worry is the younger ones who hear this and live it. The real regression not only in how males view and treat females, but in how females allow themselves to be viewed and treated. Females accessorized rock videos and there's always been groupies, but their roles were not defined so rigidly and repeatedly in those musical mediums. And the positive rap artists don't get nearly as much play or attention as the negative influences. It's not a racist/racial issue to me. It's a matter of what these kids grow up having embedded in their minds. I remember once I saw a show/documentary about the nazi movement in America and how they had branched out into music. The lead singer of one of the hate bands said that they found a tape or cd of music was much more effective because a kid will listen to it over and over, whereas they might only read a pamphlet once if that. They'll keep that tape in their car or boom box and constantly re-run it. Better than hypnosis. Add the visual display of a video and you've got something that's incredibly influential.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Personally, I cant wait for the change to happen. I could care less about the "musical" aspect of rappers. Im sure you cant name a single one who has ever had any type of true musical study. And by that I mean, can one rap artist discuss musical theory, or even tell the difference between a bass cleff and a treble cleff? Does any fan of rap have the ability to tell me what a metronome is? Odds are they cant.

Wycleff, Kanye West, Lauryn Hill, Tupac Shakur, probably some members of the Wu Tang clan, the Roots, Arrested Development etc... They all know/knew music and play/played musical instruments. Don't underestimate them. I wouldn't be surprised if some listen to classical music, jazz, ragtime, world music at times. I know for a fact that Wyclef plays Kompa (his native music), zouk, soca, reggae, dancehall etc...

But, no. My problem with rap is what it is doing to the young women in our country. Since the youth is ignorant on the power of suggestion, they digest all the crap that is spoon fed to them and take it for the Gods-honest truth. When someone is rappin about "drinkin,smokin, straight west-coastin" well, all the little brain stems want to run around with baggie pants, a 40 and some bud. The girls want to dress like what they see on TV. It is very damaging to a teenage girl to be used by guys like this and think nothing is wrong.

Blame it on the media, not the rap/ hip hop culture. Seriously... There are enough rappers out there who don't advocate these things one bit. There are rappers who experiment with different types of music like Jazz, soul etc...

Our generation emulated our artists as well, but the difference was the views about women. 80's metal cds always had one ballad on them. It was always some sad song about loosing your girl, it went well right after you got dumped. Now its "bitch" this and "ho" that, and it just really demeans girls that are allready in such a high risk group.

Not 100% correct. While I agree that there are songs like that. There are also songs by rappers which also show respect for women.

That being said, I dont think we have much to worry about. Most young people take the music seriously, untill real life starts. When your married or have a couple kids and you start to get older, you realize that music isnt that important.

I hate these kinds of statements... "when real life starts" what is real life. Not everyone is the same and goes through the same thing. Does a teenager not experience "real life"?? Is he not breathing, is he not seeing, thinking, experiencing things and feeling emotions?? It's the opposite of what you say. Music will always be very important in the lives of billions of people.

The closest you ever get to real life is in your first eight years, because those years form the rest of your life, unless you have the tools and the immense will to change your whole being, habits and ways of thinking (and I mean your core feelings and beliefs).

Then the older you get, you start to resent the little 18 year old talentless f_ck, whos making millions because shes pretty. Thats when most yong adults turn the corner and join the rest.

That's only in certain parts of this society where marketing and media define what people do, think and how they act. What you describe there is just moving to one media-influenced lifestyle (aka FAD) to another. Working business life (what people ironically call "real life") is a fad also. People don't realize that.

However, there will inevitibly be some kids from today who will never stop taking the music seriously. Our generation has it to. There are still alot of guys drivin around in their 87 Camaro, with Guns n Roses in the tape player and a nice mullet blowin in the wind. We call them loosers.

If you don't become a different kind of sheep and join the society accepted fad. You're a loser.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I dare all of you to tell me what in in the western media oriented society isn't a fad.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Wycleff, Kanye West, Lauryn Hill, Tupac Shakur, probably some members of the Wu Tang clan, the Roots, Arrested Development etc... They all know/knew music and play/played musical instruments. Don't underestimate them. I wouldn't be surprised if some listen to classical music, jazz, ragtime, world music at times. I know for a fact that Wyclef plays Kompa (his native music), zouk, soca, reggae, dancehall etc...

Wu-Tang? ROFLMAO. This is the same group who has "Ol Dirty Bastard" as a member right? Or Wycleff? Wasnt he a Fugee? Another one-hit wonder. And Tupac? Didnt he serve time for rape? Arrested Development? Where have they been for the last 10 years?

Not 100% correct. While I agree that there are songs like that. There are also songs by rappers which also show respect for women.

OK OK, so 1 out of hundred throw in a line that is prowoman. Yipee !!!

I hate these kinds of statements... "when real life starts" what is real life. Not everyone is the same and goes through the same thing. Does a teenager not experience "real life"?? Is he not breathing, is he not seeing, thinking, experiencing things and feeling emotions??

Ok , now your going down in flames.. Real life is rent, electric bills, car payments, KIDS (they cost alot) Gettin up and going to work everyday. Spending $500 so your kid can go to PUBLIC SCHOOL. Suddenly emmulating your favorite "rap artist" doesnt rank high on the priority list.

The closest you ever get to real life is in your first eight years, because those years form the rest of your life, unless you have the tools and the immense will to change your whole being, habits and ways of thinking (and I mean your core feelings and beliefs).

See above reply......

That's only in certain parts of this society where marketing and media define what people do, think and how they act. What you describe there is just moving to one media-influenced lifestyle (aka FAD) to another. Working business life (what people ironically call "real life") is a fad also. People don't realize that.

"the working life" as you like to call it, isnt a fad, its reality. Who is going to pay the bills kid? Your parents? How are you going to pay the rent? Rap? Whos gonna pay for the car when it breaks down? Tupac gonna send you a check? Oh wait, he's dead. The statement "youth is ignorance" has never been more obvious than here.

If you don't become a different kind of sheep and join the society accepted fad. You're a loser

No. Your a looser if your refuse to change with time and grow up. Your a looser if you think the best part of your life was highschool. Your a looser if you only look behind you or only try to act like something your not. Grow up and join the rest of the world. I sincerely hope that this some 18 year old kid Im argueing with here.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
You got me there Bandit everything is a fad.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Wu-Tang? ROFLMAO. This is the same group who has "Ol Dirty Bastard" as a member right? Or Wycleff? Wasnt he a Fugee? Another one-hit wonder. And Tupac? Didnt he serve time for rape? Arrested Development? Where have they been for the last 10 years?

The RZA I'm talking about. And Wycleff was never a one hit wonder. He has made many hit songs over the years if you didn't notice.

OK OK, so 1 out of hundred throw in a line that is prowoman. Yipee !!!

Oh C'mon, now you're generalizing.

Ok , now your going down in flames.. Real life is rent, electric bills, car payments, KIDS (they cost alot) Gettin up and going to work everyday.

Ooohh lemme see... In the 100000 year old history of mankind we've had only about 100 years of "real life" then. Now that's a lot.

Spending $500 so your kid can go to PUBLIC SCHOOL. Suddenly emmulating your favorite "rap artist" doesnt rank high on the priority list.

Go figure, in other countries school costs as little as $40 a year. Or is sometimes almost free.

Anyway I was talking about music in a different way here. There are enough parents out there who listen to rap, rock, disco or whatever music and it doesn't interefere with their doing their work or living their life the way they want to.

"the working life" as you like to call it, isnt a fad, its reality.

In the western world it's reality. Not in all cultures in the history of mankind. There were different cultures that had different systems, and ways of doing things.

Who is going to pay the bills kid? Your parents? How are you going to pay the rent? Rap? Whos gonna pay for the car when it breaks down? Tupac gonna send you a check? Oh wait, he's dead. The statement "youth is ignorance" has never been more obvious than here.

Look all of that is what people do in this society. But to define that and only that as "real life" is nonsense. That's not everything. And it has only been like that in recent history. You should know that.

No. Your a looser if your refuse to change with time and grow up. Your a looser if you think the best part of your life was highschool.

Yeha grow up. Like the rest of them and work work work. Deny creativity in it's purest sense.

Your a looser if you only look behind you or only try to act like something your not.

What are you then??? mr Joe Average who works in a cubicle from 9 to 5 from ages 25 to 60, raises a family and then retires??? Is that all what life is about? If you didn't know, not everyone is joe average, not everyone works in a cubicle from 9 to 5, not everyone gets kids and raises a family, not everyone pays rent, not everyone pays bills, and not everyone has a car, or has a need for one. I am talking about the world population here.

There are people devote their life to a religion, become musicians, become artists, live in the country and live off their land, retire early and live on the ocean in boats (in fact I had a client who was living in a boat with no clock, no phone, just traveling and enjoying life that isn't "real" according to your definition of "real life"). There are people who make thousands by making sandcastles, by being singers, by being comedians, being rappers, by cooking, doing their hobbies.

Grow up and join the rest of the world. I sincerely hope that this some 18 year old kid Im argueing with here.

Like I said, the world is a lot more greater and varied than just working working 9 to 5 for some company or institution for 60% of your life.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
I dare all of you to tell me what in in the western media oriented society isn't a fad.

I agree, Thats why I said let it be what it is going to be. You cares what others are doing, do what you want and dont worrie about it.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

I agree, Thats why I said let it be what it is going to be. You cares what others are doing, do what you want and dont worrie about it.

I don't agree with this statement, because this "fad" is influencing our children's minds with nothing but garbage, they think they aren't anybody unless they fit the status quo of being a thug or whatever...

These kids are wannabe gangsters and they have no moral code...
At least back in 80s and 90s people had a moral code with their stupid fads, now they don't.

Just a couple months ago some ghetto wannabe teenagers jumped this guy at a wendy's next city over because he wouldn't give them his combo meal, they put him in acoma, and he died 5 months later... Just walking to his car, has a family, a career, a wife and kids, ect... What a cheap and discusting way to die.... These kids are responsible for his life, and these kids are responsible for their own, they don't see that yet because they are still growing up, their worried about being cool, what clothes make you "somebody" what music makes you "cool".. Their high school dummies with no morale.

This fad isn't just a fad, so don't be so naive...

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
You know what, Our parent's parents said the same thing about rock and roll. Times change, things change, but it all stays the same. The US is all about keeping up.

Im not arguing, I was restating my point, because you disagreed.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies

This fad isn't just a fad, so don't be so naive...

This is very funny to me. Please dont be rude to me. Im not in the pit. I've seen many things and people. I am FAR from Naive, sport.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
You know what, Our parent's parents said the same thing about rock and roll. Times change, things change, but it all stays the same. The US is all about keeping up.

I know that parents used to say this, and I know they had their "time" as a teenager... However i'm more concerned about the violence. There has never been so much gutter talk about violence, degrading women, and dugs .. never...

People back then would fight right against wrong...
This is gone... They don't care about right and wrong...

They don't have a moral code...

The teenage girls are dressing like the mtv video whores, degrading themselves, they don't know what their doing, and what potential it has.
The guys are acting "gangsta" and they want to do "gangsta" things to prove they are like that...

I know your making your claim, but how do you address this sc? What's the line to draw? When is too far far? Don't you think this is dangerous?

My old friend started to get involved in this mindset, he's been jail more times then I can count on my two hands, he's now fighting for his life because he's ripped people off with drugs, he's fought people and stabbed people who decided they wanted to take this gangsta fad also, drugs, bitches, bling bling, ect... He wanted me to stuff coc aine in my body cavaties and take it jamaica, I told him f-u and never talked to him again. He used to be involved in politics, he was always team captain, he was a true leader, and messed it up because he started getting too involved, and he became part of the fad, those rappers were all ghetto trash dmx has been in jail for rape, drugs, and violence, p diddy, that dude who made a song about nike shoes, these aren't role models, these guys aren't nail diamond or the rolling stones, their not omd, or madonna, their not the clash or the beatles...

I doubt you could compare the past to the present "fad" ..... your turn.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join