It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"gangsta" fad

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'm starting to get annoyed by the whole thing i mean the music industry is becoming completely rap and R&B dominated i don't know why people feel that they need to change their ways to fit into this fad alot of my friends feel if you don't like rap youre nobody. I hate the lingo as well it gets REALLY annoying why talk like an uneducated person when i know your clearly bright and intellegent :shk: . I am not racist but when a person acts like that it makes me less motivated to know them i know "normal" african American i have lots as my friends but little by little they seem to sucoumb to the increasing "fad" . The sooner this absurd trend is over the better i don't know how much more of this i can take. Oh and one more thing why does a black person feel obligated to act this way they are stereotyping themselves it's very sad.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I agree!

I dont think there is any "fad" that I dislike more than Rap/HipHop.
Its so absurd and regressive..
The whole "rap culture" of drugs, "hoes", guns, "posse's", and alcohol. Yeah, thats really cool. *rolls eyes*

One of my friends started to get into the "rap culture".. and he got so stupid, that I just had to stop talking to him. Not that I could understand what he was saying anymore when I DID talk to him, fwiw. Everything he said sounded like the regurgitated "lyrics" (if they really count as those) of his favorite rap "artists" (also, if they really count as those)

I will sooo happy when rap is over.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Hell Yes!

Everywhere in the media, expecialy the teen targeted area its all rap and R&B stuff. I really hate how they all speak using "dis" "dat" "yo". And that "shizzle", makes me cringe and they add "shizzle" to everything.

Its nuts, they all act and seem like they are uneducated idiots. Its a shame. I love it when people like Bill Cosby shoves it in the NAACP and all blacks, about how their youth has succumbed to be moronic idiots.

Anyone who speaks in Ebonics, and act "gangsta" is an idiot in my eyes, if your really so smart use proper English.

Nearly everyone I know is into this except for a few. I'm into older rock and older metal, think how it is when I play Guns N Roses, KISS, or Jimmy Buffet?

Rap is'nt even music. Its just speaking fast while someone plays with a synthezier in the background, anyone can do that. Learning to play a guitar and sing like a real person, is music.

[Edited on 8-18-2004 by JediMaster]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Someone who agrees with me
EVERYONE here just thinks im too high strung or getting old fast boils my blood

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
Anyone who speaks in Ebonics, and act "gangsta" is an idiot in my eyes, if your really so smart use proper English.

Rap is'nt even music. Its just speaking fast while someone plays with a synthezier in the background, anyone can do that.

Quoted for truth.

As I remember, I once read a website that was trying to get "ebonics" made into the second official language of the united states.. I hope they were joking, but the website didnt even hint at being a joke.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
yes its a fad..to me it sounds like your growing up...welcome to the club. its nothing new though. its strictly marketing.

before hip hop, it was "alternative" then before that there was metal, before that it was new wave, before that it was punk, before that it was disco, before that it was classic rock, before that it was do-wop.

once record execs knew that kids had money to burn they went after it, and boy did they get it...its a simple formula. get a hot band and the girls show up, and the boys follow the girls...its genius..anyrate all music is fake and made for a profit. please dont start namin bands that havent "sold-out" in your eyes either. because even if they havent, they want to. thats why you become a professional musician. to get paid. nothing wrong with it, but there is no credibilty in it. its just made for you to purchase it and see the artist perform it live....get in line sheep !!!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
If any language should be the second official language in the US it should be Spanish. It seems to me that the hispanic portion of the population is growing the fastest and will become the majority eventually. Truth be known it should be required to learn a second language starting in middle school, it can really help you out later in life.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   

If any language should be the second official language in the US it should be Spanish. It seems to me that the hispanic portion of the population is growing the fastest and will become the majority eventually. Truth be known it should be required to learn a second language starting in middle school, it can really help you out later in life.

no way!!! we dont need a second language. they need to learn ours. and dont start with the europe argument. i live in indiana, if ohio spoke a different language, i would need to learn it, but since our whole country speaks english, so should anyone moving here. its not our problem someone is to lazy to learn it. we aint floodin into mexico..theyre coming here. show some respect and learn the culture. dont expect it to conform to you. :bnghd::bnghd:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I'm not saying conform, Im saying we need some fricken culture in our lives. As for lazyness being a factor, if anything its us pasty white americans (myself included) who are too lazy to learn another language. English is the hardest language to learn, so why the heck not pick up Spanish, Portugese, German, etc while one is young, its not likes its gonig to make you any less american. Just makes me kind of dissapointed that people want so little culture beyond what is the social minimum in their lives. Oh well, this has strayed too off topic so I shall not continue it.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Not trying to play devils advocate, but......Raps has been around for over 20 years now. It's not a fad(unfortunately). Gangsta rap, I blame on N.W.A. back in like 87, 88? Ever since then it's been down hill, and gettin some bling bling , aight?

I just wish we(meaning where I live) had more music channels to choose from than Mtv(rap), Mtv2(rap), VH1(Rap light).

There is so much more out there than this crap. Luckily, most people(I think) out grow this stuff. Otherwise we are all doomed.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I agree with yall. There is a grat influx of kids white and black wanting to emulate these so called hard core rappers. THese rappers promote no kind a socially praisign lyrics but tells you to be a "Big Spenda" ie. pimp, party, and live the high life. And many of these rappers street credit are abosolute crap. I dont see why people want to be these people soo badly.

Yes i have heard of some good rap. I think it is an artform. Heck i couldnt even imagine doin something like that i dont have the ability to. But alot of this good rap actually has point to there music but unfortunatlelly it is underground stuff and not "popular" This bring up the point of many of the rappers now of day tryin to rap about social events. Like NAS and some other rappers are tryin to make a political statement through there raps. This is one of th efunniest things ive heard.

Im sick of people actin this gangsta way. I mean people wanna be rappers so bad that is there life goal! I mean they want to live that life but alot of times that life isnt anythign compared to people who go to college adn do really well. The chance to becoem a big rapper is the same as being a CEO of a big company and actually changing the world.

I fear for my generation. What are these quasi gangsters goin to be 20, 30 yr. down the road. Will ebonics take over america. I pray not it is the biggest whoring of the english language to date. I just rememebered bout a yaer ago they were considering teaching ebonics as a highschool course. I bout crapped my pants!! We need to get over this fad and i challange anyone who thinks rap music is positive or i am wrong please im me or challange me to a debate here.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It's not just kids and it's not just rap.

60 year old Dead Heads? I don't mean that just happen to like the Dead, but call you "man" and talk about the "establishment" while driving an SUV. Guess what old guy? You are the establishment.

The 40 year old secretary you're dating that insists you take her swing dancing so she can get drunk on Apple Martinis while chomping on a manly cigar? The death penalty is too good for her. Plus think of the cats!

You just can't escape it. My last "live in" girlfriend was a young 20's "rave bug." Just as ridiculous, just as annoying. Oh look plastic crap that glows...please, please, please. I just have to have it. No, what you have to have is rehab you X'ed out anorexic crazy person in $600 platform shoes.

Anything you "do" is annoying to someone. I enjoy alot of things but I try to never "do" them. It's limiting.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Thats my thing and alot of these fads are damaging for societyl The Gangsta fad is the dominat one in this day and age for the majority of the people. I mean its comming to us in all mediums(TV, Radio, Net, and concerts) and im scared it will crippl e our society and culture.

I hate when people try to imitate people. Lik ethe thug type attitudes so many youths have today. Some good wholesome imitation is good sometimes like a rolemodel but i see a difference between 50cent and lets say BillGates (or any good businessmen or leaders)

People be yourself. If you like rap then fine like it but only like it because of yourself not because u want to fit into the trend. If you are open minded and do what you like you will not be a conformist you will be truly unique unlike any of thse sheep that are too closed minded to see anyhting outside rap, raving, metal rock, gothic rock, or even country.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegreat59
I'm starting to get annoyed by the whole thing i mean the music industry is becoming completely rap and R&B dominated i don't know why people feel that they need to change their ways to fit into this fad alot of my friends feel if you don't like rap youre nobody. I hate the lingo as well it gets REALLY annoying why talk like an uneducated person when i know your clearly bright and intellegent :shk: . I am not racist but when a person acts like that it makes me less motivated to know them i know "normal" african American i have lots as my friends but little by little they seem to sucoumb to the increasing "fad" . The sooner this absurd trend is over the better i don't know how much more of this i can take. Oh and one more thing why does a black person feel obligated to act this way they are stereotyping themselves it's very sad.

Yeah, and the problem is that if you try to tell them that, they'll call you racist. And I agree, rap isn't a fad. I know it sucks, but it's been around for a long time. I don't think we'll ever get rid of it, kids want to look tough. In order to look tough, they have to look stupid.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Herman

Yeah, and the problem is that if you try to tell them that, they'll call you racist. And I agree, rap isn't a fad. I know it sucks, but it's been around for a long time. I don't think we'll ever get rid of it, kids want to look tough. In order to look tough, they have to look stupid.

My problem is I actually LIKE the music... but the LYRICS are what get on my nerves. I'll listen to a song I like, hear the lyrics... and it just ends up getting on my nerves.

It also just seems the hip-hop and rap artists that aren't gangsta's or thugs just don't make as catchy music to me.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
whats up havent posted in a while but quicksilver showed me this thread and i felt i had to add my two cents.

the whole "gangsta" fad is one of the worst ever. seriously do people not understand why kids in the ghetto are wearing such baggy clothing. they're hand me downs! family's in the ghetto can't exactly afford to buy clothes for their kids all the time, hence the excessively baggy clothes on children.

however this bling bling money aint a thing rap isnt what I consider real rap, its exploited rap to make a profit. once music gets exploited into the mainstream ruins the art form. i listen to everything, rap, rock, jazz and even classical when its time to study. however the rap i listen to is mostly underground # u wont hear on your radio's and wont see on your tv. the bands i listen to are mostly indy bands i or my friends have seen at shows.

I am currently compiling a list of underground mc's who make respectable real hip-hop. so far i'm at 160. so not all rap music is this gangsta crap, there are alot of mc's who make rhymes of relevence. a couple of my favourite hip-hop lyrics are from one of my favourite hip-hop groups sweatshop union, "at least i still pronounce my ing's and err's though" and "if that's cool then call me a wack fool" (reffering to bling bling rap). i'm currently looking for an article that was written by an mc who was blacklisted from the industry. he explains how the industry actually works and how they exploit artists. once i find the article i'll be sure to post it here.

if anyone is interested in hearing some good hip-hop with a message, lookup sweatshop union, kyprios and oddities. if you still want more artists catch me on msn: drunk_nick hotmail com

but anyways to recap on the whole gangsta fad. i think it will go away eventually because it already has started where i am. however now emo punk is starting to become the new cool thing. so pretty much i've learned dont get pissed at the fad followers. just be yourself and when u get the chance get them to listen to some real music. if half the people on this board are able to free one person's mind and that chain continues, it will soon be "cool" to think for yourself.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I like rap. I liked NWA and others back when it was "The Black Man's CNN". I liked when they talked about how hard it was on the street and in the ghetto. The prejudice against them. I like hearing the real deal about that type of hard life. Not necessarily "kill the cops", but that's what they felt... the law was run by whites and not to be trusted. Rap isn't easy, especially freestyle. It's a lot of information to spit out in a short beat of time and considering the educational challenges for some of these artists, it's actually pretty impressive that they can turn a phrase the way they do. People emulate what makes an impression on them, be it the big hair and spandex of the 80's, the grunge of the '90s or the ever present leather of heavy metal.

Having said that, I am disappointed with what rap has evolved into. It's no longer talking about life on the street and growing up with nothing, living on a lower, harsher rung of the ladder. It's now about how much bling they've got, how many hos are lounging around waiting to do their bidding, the rims on the ride, and how that's all that matters. The ones emulating them now are not looking for a message, they're looking for an easy way to get that money. They don't get that they won't be putting out a cd, making it big and raking it in. They're going to end up working a low level job because they sound idiotic while "keepin it real". My ex's nephews are prime examples. Early 20's white mountain boys who talk and act like they're straight outta Compton. They've only been talking that way for a few years, but now it's like they can't switch back and forth anymore. It's no longer an affectation. So they now sound as dumb as they actually are. They want the cd, clothes, chains, weed, hos, etc... but they don't want to work for it. Their heros in the videos don't "work" for it... they just look cool and rap.

But Britney and Christina are just as bad. I've never seen 16 year olds look so slutty and ready to get on the pole as they do now. So I go to the mall or Wal-Mart and see the Eminem/Chingy wannabe with his arm around the Britney wannabe. It's worrisome.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses it shows there are some sensible people out there i just hope this fad wears thin soon. a lot of people are beginning to lose their possibly succesful lives trying to act like "gangstas" .

well at least i know im not alone

[Edited on 19-8-2004 by thegreat59]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
well some rap is pretty good. I have african american friends like that and it doesnt bother me. When i see whit people doing that kind of thing it does. i like a lot of music though.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I have african american friends like that and it doesnt bother me. When i see whit people doing that kind of thing it does.

I consider that statement racist im hispanic but i know that if there was a fad that white people did and they don't want "balcks" doing it there would be a nationwide hysteria and some black activist would be calling whites racist and crap. You don't know how much that statement kills me

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join