It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue-Green Algae Bloom At Dangerous Levels On Lake Champlain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Blue-Green Algae Bloom At Dangerous Levels On Lake Champlain

www.vpr.net

On Lake Champlain, hot weather and pollution have triggered blooms of toxic blue-green algae.
The blooms are a near-annual event. But this year, they've reached dangerous levels in Missisquoi Bay. The state Health Department say pets and people should stay out of the affected water. And a town in Quebec that uses the bay for its water supply says the water is no longer safe to drink.
VPR's John Dillon went out on the northern lake to take a look:
(Dillon) The Rock River flows into Missisquoi Bay just south of the Canadian border. It's the epicenter of this summer's toxic algae blooms
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.burlington freepress.com

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Porter) "On Friday last week the water was flat and it was warm, and consequently the blue green algae scums were covering the surface of water so densely you couldn't see underneath at all. And where you could, where the boat went through it... it was just dark green, like paint almost."

Like paint almost?

That sounds just lovely.

The algae release a toxin that irritates the skin and can cause diarrhea and vomiting if swallowed. Dogs have even died from ingesting the stuff.

oh my god.

Well no more trips to the lake for puppy.

And so much for Kayaking that beautiful lake.

The Vermont Health Department has done extensive monitoring to look for contamination near municipal water plants. The department says no one has been harmed by the algae toxins. State toxicologist Bill Bress says so far the state hasn't issued any health warnings about town water supplies.

yeah, ok.

sure.

www.vpr.net
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-8-2011 by vermonster because: added comment

Cyanobacteria (English pronunciation: /saɪˌænoʊbækˈtɪəriə/; also known as blue-green algae, blue-green bacteria, and Cyanophyta) is a phylum of bacteria that obtain their energy through photosynthesis. The name "cyanobacteria" comes from the color of the bacteria (Greek: κυανός (kyanós) = blue).
The ability of cyanobacteria to perform oxygenic photosynthesis is thought to have converted the early reducing atmosphere into an oxidizing one, which dramatically changed the composition of life forms on Earth by stimulating biodiversity and leading to the near-extinction of oxygen-intolerant organisms. According to endosymbiotic theory, chloroplasts in plants and eukaryotic algae have evolved from cyanobacterial ancestors via endosymbiosis.

Some cyanobacteria produce toxins, called cyanotoxins. These include anatoxin-a, anatoxin-as, aplysiatoxin, cylindrospermopsin, domoic acid, microcystin LR, nodularin R (from Nodularia), or saxitoxin. Cyanobacteria reproduce explosively under certain conditions. This results in algal blooms, which can become harmful to other species if the cyanobacteria involved produce toxins.
These toxins can be neurotoxins, hepatotoxins, cytotoxins, and endotoxins, and can be toxic and dangerous to humans as well as other animals and marine life in general. Several cases of human poisoning have been documented but a lack of knowledge prevents an accurate assessment of the risks.[25][26][27] Recent studies suggest that significant exposure to high levels of some species of cyanobacteria causes amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). The Lake Mascoma ALS cluster [28] and Gulf War veteran's cluster are two notable examples.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 13-8-2011 by vermonster because: added more info

edit on 13-8-2011 by vermonster because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Yeah blue/green algae is nast stuff I've had it in my aquarium from time to time. It's caused from lack of nitrogen and polutants.

I live near Lake St Clair in Michigan and the lake is a sewage pit. I've seen a line of turds from raw sewage a mile long literly 1 mile long. A local river that dumps into the lake smells like the worst diarea you've ever smelled. It's been that way for years. The area needs a $6 billion upgrade to the sewage system. The state keeps reciving millions from the feds but they spend the money on other things. The detroit city drinking water intake is just a few miles down stream. I spend a lot of time on the water fishing the the stuff I've seen in enough to make anyone sick.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Sorry for short reply im on my iPhone but I'm from the south of England and I like to fish. I was speaking to q friend who I fish with at a local lake. He went to the lake today and that too has Blue green algae. Another lake a few miles away had it too and lost 700lb of fish

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
Yeah blue/green algae is nast stuff I've had it in my aquarium from time to time. It's caused from lack of nitrogen and polutants.

I live near Lake St Clair in Michigan and the lake is a sewage pit. I've seen a line of turds from raw sewage a mile long literly 1 mile long. A local river that dumps into the lake smells like the worst diarea you've ever smelled. It's been that way for years. The area needs a $6 billion upgrade to the sewage system. The state keeps reciving millions from the feds but they spend the money on other things. The detroit city drinking water intake is just a few miles down stream. I spend a lot of time on the water fishing the the stuff I've seen in enough to make anyone sick.

That sounds just delightful.

...good luck

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The Great Lakes are also heavily saturated with Carbon Dioxide from us burning coal/oil. They are just about dead as well.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
not real sure about this but rember learning something on this line.

Blue green algae is what gave birth to an oxygen rich earth and feed off more harmfull substances so if that is correct its only dangerous to a certain degree.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
It is a natural thing, the lochs were I live have this happen from time to time.. Just dont eat the shellfish..

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

Hey, mang. Fellow Vermonter here.

I hate to say it, but doesn't this happen every year?

Every time I so much as stick my pinky toe in the lake, I have mild-severe flu symptoms. It's beautiful, but with all the Nitrogen run-off, particularly from the Missisquoi region; this crap is gonna go down every summer regular as clockwork.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
great...so another pending ecological disaster,if these natural disasters keep occuring this planet is going to start feeling very small

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I am suprised there isnt someone quoting a bible verse stating something
about "When all the fish in the sea are dead" or something..

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome

Sorry to be a stickler but too much nitrogen is the culprit behind unwanted aquarium algae (usually as a result of overfeeding and poor lighting).

top topics

join