It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you change with our Government if you could?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I am curious as to what people would change,correct or make worse. I have a few things I would like changed.
Would you legalize pot or all drugs?

Term Limits would be the first for Congress and all Federal judges. I believe that is the way our Founders meant it to be.Two, four-year terms is enough. The Supreme Court should be voted on nationally also. I would let Congress put up those candidates to be voted on.
No pensions,except the military who well deserve it. 401k's replace them with matching up to 6%, same as every other company.
No more Lobbyists. To many agendas,greed, corruption. Our Politicians should answer to their constituency.

No political donations to candidates. I would rather have a set limit payed for by the tax payers to even the field and eliminate political paybacks.
No unfunded mandates to the States which puts the onus on them to fund with higher taxes.
Photo ID required to vote.
Secure our borders, then look at a worker program.
Limit Death penalty appeals and actually carry them out.

I am sure I could come up with more. Let's see your ideas
And disclosure of area 51 and Aliens for that crowd.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I believe an easier and shorter question would be what WOULDN'T you change.

I agree with most of what you said. I would also require voters to have to list the stance on 3 issues that their candidate of choice has taken. This would prevent uneducated idiots from voting and also demonstrate what issues are truly important to the people.
edit on 13-8-2011 by itsatrap because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Pass legislation prohibiting any kind of financial gain from serving in government, then shoot the lobbyists.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

Legalizing and taxing pot perhaps a start to rebuild economy...
but before economic policy or anything else for that matter, the very FIRST thing I would do would be to fire everyone in Congress ~ so there is a clean start , change it so that someone who serves in Congress must serve for at least 10 years to receive any type of pension (that only makes sense!) and from there work on policies for small business owners, work on economic recovery and slowly rebuild morale.
Obviously removing unnecessary military operations/spending and increasing taxes for the rich would make sense along with this.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
First and foremost, I would sever any and all ties between the the corporate sector and the government. While corporations would still be allowed to work for the government, but they would have zero influence. Just like there is somewhat of a separation of church and state, same concept.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hillbilly123069
Pass legislation prohibiting any kind of financial gain from serving in government, then shoot the lobbyists.

Fantastic perspective i'm 110% there with you bruh

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The op has asked a question that is valid as to what all we would change in the federal government. While some of what all is printed is valid there are a few things that bear to be mentioned:
What all I would change:
1) All serving in the congress would have to have their pay be equal to the average that their constituents make. That means if the majority of the people in their districts make 8 dollars an hour, that is exactly what they make, and no more than that. If the majority of their constituents do not have health care, well they would not receive such, that way when they voted on laws, it would be with their constituents in mind.
2) I would keep the judicial process out of the political loop. The reason is that Justice should be blind, and so should the process, and all judges at the federal level should not be involved in politics. They need to be beyond reproach and thus they should not be voted into or out of office.
3) All laws that are greater than 40 years old, should be subject to review, and if they are obsolete, removed from the books.
4) Eliminate the tax code, and come out with a new flat tax, and national sales tax on all goods. This would also require the elimination of the income tax.
5) Limit congressional spending, where if is was going to raise the national debt, it would require a vote by the public to increase it or not.
6) No incumbents allowed, that means once they serve their time, they have to go and find other employment. Also to make things interesting, only those who are middle income would be allowed to run, that means millionaires would not be allowed to sit in congress.
7) All laws have to be passed where it does not take a legal team to interpret the laws of the country.
8) All laws being passed has to be less than 8 pages long.
9) Secure the borders.
10) No more bailouts for businesses, they fail, they fail. Also encourage the return of the partnership, rather than public ownership.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
No campaign financing and all negotiations/meetings would be open on live cctv for all to view. Nothing behind closed doors.

spec

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
- Veterans of War in good standing when they exited their military service should be entitled to free medical, dental, psychological health care along with anything else we can throw in for those heroes and heroines.

- The ability to bring suite against judges and lawyers for negligence and wrongdoing.

Beyond that?

- Less government - more freedom = throw out the Patriot Act.

peace

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread.

I would get rid of the Electronic Voting Systems !!

Require that all elected officials take semi-annual drug test !!

Require a lie detector test on the issues of starting wars and where is the money? etc !!!!!

I could go on... Thx

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I'm no friend and fan of 'illegal' drugs, but they need to be legalized, taxed, regulated, across the board. I know someone personally, a young man under 38, who was given a death sentence of cancer, and who was dying, 3 years ago, but I'm aware that he'd been utilizing cannabis and is still alive and uh...utilizing it.

Let people grow and sell their own food and milk, and keep the damn Swat Teams out of this.

Shut down, abolish Factory Farms.

Zero GMO food Corporation subsidies.

TAKE THE MONEY OUT OF POLITICS so someone real, with a conscience, can hold office.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Nothing at all,they will change it themselves by slowly running it into the ground.Why should anyone break a sweat.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I would, Change From democracy to Communism

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I've thought about the drug issue. Pot I can deal with even more than alcohol. I still think DUI's are far worse while driving but both impair your ability. TPTB, I think do not want to legalize any of it. it would put to many guberment workers on the street out of a job.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I'd legalize pot. Forgive at least a percentage of student debt. Stop the wars.
Give huge tax breaks to companies that invest in building infrastructure type projects - IE expanding super highspeed internet, commuter trains, even trucking/bus companies WITHIN the US.
Stop disability payments to people who have spouses or other family income over 70k.
edit on 13-8-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
1. Shrink it in size by at least 70%
2. Spending cannot exceed income
3. Social programs turned over entirely to the states
4. No subsidies for anything...if something is worth investing in let the investors do it.
5. Impropriety by federal politicians (congressman, senators, president)....severe imprisonment terms.
6. NO pork in bills, if the feds are gonna build a two lane bridge on a pig ranch somewhere then put it to a vote, don't bury it.
7. Qualification to run for president: Must have at least 15 years in private sector business, no career politicians, but real world American citizens.
8. Qualification to run for president: Birth Certificate made public at time of announcement...because I don't ever want to see all the stupid bickering about this again...

9. NO sin taxes...if a product is legal then it is legal....it taxes same as any other product...i.e. beer, cigarettes, gas guzzling cars, etc.
10. Primary elections for president to be held nationwide on the same day, just like the general election. I'm tired of four or five tiny states having the power to knock out good viable candidates.
11. If decided we need to go to war, then a plan submitted to win it, get it done, and get the hell out and damn the collateral damage. If it's serious enough to go to war, then it is serious enough to bomb hell outta the country in question. i.e. Afganistan and Iraq not serious enough in my opinion, if a serious threat to our sovergnty existed then the country causing that serious threat no longer physically exists. Not serious enough to warrant such drastic action? Then we don't send aid, we embargo, and we talk nasty on the news and keep out taxes out of defense contractors, etc. .....MY foriegn policy in a nutshell.
12. If you can work, you ain't physically or mentally handicapped, then you will work if you want to eat. You get a job. Private or public sector. Unemployment, Welfare, ? If you can work then you will work in some way or you get nothing. No more free rides on the tax payers dime. If my taxes gotta pay you because you're hooked on the pot pipe and can't get a job, then you will get off the pot pipe and come help build a road, clean a courthouse bathroom, or mow some public grass and pass a friggin drug screen or eat out of dumpsters and live in a box in an alley...your choice...I have to keep my nose clean to make a living for my family...so can everyone else.

I am sure there is more I would change but I guess the above will do for now.....so who's gonna vote for me...lol?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The D.H.S. and it's T.S.A.......

**G*O*N*E**

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
hmmmm

i would send a moab to the federal reserve thats what i would change end the fed and reinstate the gold standard

end the mother father federal government mentality

and end all regulaitons end the department of education and legalize mers meals ready to eat

the camping and survival crowd gernerate billions of money and tax it why not get a cut of it?

be prepared!
edit on 13-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
add line item vetoes to get rid of riders and pork that slip into bills

all members of congress would have their pay tied to passing a balanced budget

all able bodied welfare recepients must do something, even if it's shoveling snow or working on road crews

make lobbying a crime

audit the fed reserve

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

Two Glaring examples that would restore faith would be:

1. the federal govt ACTUALLY obeying the 'will of the people'.. If the citizens of a state vote for something snd get the law passed.. the federal govt should honor it..REGARDLESS of whether or not personally people agree with the pasing in some states of Medical Marijuana, WOULDN"T everyone agree that if the people vote for something, get it passed. then Who is the federal govt working for??? seriously its like 3rd grade civics no?

2. Stop raiding health food stores, farms, co-ops, etc !!!!!!! WTF??

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join