It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silicone Valley Billionaire Reveals Plan To Launch Floating Start Up Country.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I was wondering what this means if this is at all possible and it seems that it is.

PayPal-founder Peter Thiel was so inspired by Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand's novel about free-market capitalism - that he's trying to make its title a reality.

The Silicon Valley billionaire has funnelled $1.25 million to the Seasteading Institute, an organization that aspires to launch a floating colony into international waters, freeing them and like-minded thinkers to live by Libertarian ideals.

Mr Thiel recently told Details magazine that: 'The United States Constitution had things you could do at the beginning that you couldn't do later. So the question is, can you go back to the beginning of things? How do you start over?'

'Big ideas start as weird ideas': An artist conception of a Seastead city.

The floating sovereign nations that Thiel imagines would be built on oil-rig-like platforms anchored in areas free of regulation, laws, and moral conventions.

The Seasteading Institute says it will 'give people the freedom to choose the government they want instead of being stuck with the government they get.'

The venture capitalist who famously helped Facebook expand beyond the Harvard campus, Mr Thiel called seasteading an 'open a frontier for experimenting with new ideas for government.'

After making his first investment in the project in 2008, Mr Thiel said: 'Decades from now, those looking back at the start of the century will understand that Seasteading was an obvious step towards encouraging the development of more efficient, practical public sector models around the world.

'We’re at a fascinating juncture: the nature of government is about to change at a very fundamental level.'

Free floating: Peter Thiel's Libertarian city state would be built on an oil-rig type platform

www.dailymail.co.uk... co.html

Now, is this wishful thinking? Or do you think that this can actually be pulled off? Its a little scary to think that there is going to only be a select few that can afford in such a place. He also seems quite confident about his critics that think this is wishful thinking.

Thiel meanwhile once a crowd at the Seasteading Institute Conference in 2009 that: 'there are quite a lot of people who think it's not possible.

That's a good thing. We don't need to really worry about those people very much, because since they don't think it's possible they won't take us very seriously. And they will not actually try to stop us until it's too late.'

Peace, NRE.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Seems visionary and logical in a sense, with so much open space in the oceans. But I have seen ideas like this before never come to fruition. However, a million bones might get the ball rolling, or should I say floating.

They would be ideal for utilizing natural resources as the sun for solar, wind, sea currents, and wave technologyHere too. Plus abundant food supply and a desalinization device would make them self sufficient .
If it does come to be, I hope these projects would not be limited to the wealthy.

spec
edit on 13-8-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

$1.25 million would only pay for the development of the idea...won't even buy a single rig...he's gonna need investors - and that may be a hard sell...guess we'll see

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

No disagreement there, at least the idea is being cast. Do you think investor's would be interested? I wonder if they might, either for personal residence, or as an investment for industry. I think some would want some personal homes out there, but I'm not sure , as an investment, if it would be smart and/or gain any momentum.

spec

ETA: I just reread the title and realized the idea is for a new 'country' more than individuals. That is a different angle kind of...and maybe an opportunity to develop a new society with new rules/guidelines that may be more harmonious to modern and future aspirations of/for humanity.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I guess you could monetize it - kind of how the doomsday shelter guys sell theirs. Problem with having something out in the water is supplying it and protecting it from weather...all the same issues that a large boat would have...a lot of risk but I'm sure there's someone out there with money burning a hole in their pocket...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
Seems visionary and logical in a sense, with so much open space in the oceans. But I have seen ideas like this before never come to fruition. However, a million bones might get the ball rolling, or should I say floating.

They would be ideal for utilizing natural resources as the sun for solar, wind and sea currents too. Plus abundant food supply and a desalinization device would make them self sufficient .
If it does come to be, I hope these projects would not be limited to the wealthy.

spec

I agree with your sentiments, but we all know it will restricted to the wealthy elements, unless it is intended for people seeking asylum. Now then, that's an idea.

Imagine, there are councils throughout England who are considering evicting families of the youth that went out last weekend and looted, from their council homes. If we had something like this we could relocate them in the North Sea.

I like it, I like it a lot. In fact I am going to petition Number 10.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Sign me up!!! at least then I could half a chance to actually BE with my girlfriend instead being thousands of miles away because of weird and seemingly un-defeatable immigration laws!
..... I'm in for that reason alone!!!! everything else is a bonus!

I do think it is a bold and wonderful idea though! ..... I hope something comes of it but to be honest i'm guessing if it ever did happen, only the very rich would be occupying those cozy little ocean apartments!!! ..... shame.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

Yea the risk factor always weighs heavy in these investment decisions, and man, in the open ocean there is certainly some major risks. Transportation too I guess would keep these homes only in the hands of those with copters or jets. In the long run maybe communities/villages could be set up with larger commute type transportation such as a ferry or something.
Guess these places would have to find a plant source to grow their own dramamine too.

spec

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
All that comes to mind is

Would you kindly?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Penal colony artificial islands eh? Well there's some incentive for investment opportunity. I could imagine some kind of retreats or healing centers could be considered also maybe.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Based on this little tidbit

The floating sovereign nations that Thiel imagines would be built on oil-rig-like platforms anchored in areas free of regulation, laws, and moral conventions.
. I think he is going to try to pull the whole "international water" law.

I know there ares some rules, but not many. I think that changes everything. If that is the case and he can pull off getting around any "laws" being enforced on his little country, this could be a huge game changer, and I am sure people would come out of the wood work for that one.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

True dat, maybe he has an international Las Vegas of the sea type idea going on. A great oceanic den of iniquity.
2nd

spec

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I'm totally "on board" with this

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I cain't wait till he builds it and it is complete, then a big OL mother nature steps in and washes it away. he,he,he
all the tycoons will be his renters. A COMPLETE WASH. The idea is wonderful, but mother nature always shows you who is the boss. Even oil rig platforms come free and sink due to mother natures forces.

edit on 13-8-2011 by cloaked4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
He says that the people can get the government they want and not what their given........OK, good idea

The problem as I see it is that the type of people that could actually afford to live there are the same ones that have paid for the government we have now. So what do you think their chosen government will look like?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Not the smartest thing to build right now when there's so much weird "natural" disasters happening.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
There's a number of these micro-nations. The problem is that there's no real economy and whoever owns the place is the Big Boss. So they appoint the juries, the constables, and everything else. They decide what the money is and what you pay for supplies that are imported.

I'm sure he'll get people there. I'm also sure I won't be one of his subjects!

(ever think about what would happen if someone committed a crime there?)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
All that comes to mind is

Would you kindly?

Lol, I got the reference.

A free based society where anything goes and the rich can get there jollies on. Of course your going to need the poeple who shovel the s*$( to keep things running. Yup, I see where this is going.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Is it just me or does this story read just like the plot to the Bioshock games?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I think some Somali pirates---sorry, free-market maritime entrepreneurs---just got a bright idea.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join