It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world's longest ongoing war. What will happen in 2012 with forced repatriation to Burma?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I watched the following video with a great deal of sadness that after 60 long years, whatever their differences, peace seems to be just as elusive now as it ever was in Burma. I think we in the West have all heard of Aung San Suu Kyi (pronounced Ung Sahn Soo Chee), the Nobel Peace Prize Laureate who was imprisoned because she was speaking up for democracy. She was finally freed after 20 years, and when she was freed, her name dropped from the news, as did the conflict situation in Burma.

It began in 1949, when shortly after gaining independence from Britain, a group of ethnic rebels fought against the government. Other minority groups joined in the rebel cause when the military junta took over. There are some really upsetting aspects to this conflict, on both sides, IMO.

All those fortunate enough to escape the brutal regime fled across the border to refugee camps in Thailand. However despite the fact that the conflict is still ongoing, Thailand says the refugees will be facing forced repatriation in 2012. Will world leaders, allow a conflict to escalate? Will they simply use it as a pretext to launch another war the next big one we've been dreading?

While some people are only focusing on whether the world will end or be transformed, or be invaded by aliens, how many have heard of this repatriation program and whether we will see fresh new rounds of killings and crimes against humanity? Is the world once again going to ignore this problem? Is the west only truly interested in central banks and oil?

For once I would like some real leaders to step forward and help resolve this conflict, simply because it would be the right thing to do. Wait, didn't Obama win the peace prize? (We need a facepalm emoticon, ATS! )

Please take the time to watch the video and comment. Thank you.

edit on 13-8-2011 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
For once I would like some real leaders to step forward and help resolve this conflict, simply because it would be the right thing to do.

Western leaders stepping forward to resolve conflicts?

Not sure when they ever did that. Their expertise is in creating and prologing conflicts, not resolving them. Myanmar will find her own balance, should outsiders stop deciding what is right for her. But you don't want that to happen, do you?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Observor

I know what you mean. However, even though the Cyprus conflicts were never fully resolved the armed conflict was put on hold with the introduction of peacekeepers, who remained there for over 20 years. Do you think it's too utopian to think negotiators can help improve the situation?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
THE LADY

US has announced it will ease sanctions and appoint an ambassador to Myanmar for the first time since 1988.The decision comes days after the opposition National League

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
World "leaders" will likely view this situation as an opportunity to rid the world of a few more "useless eaters."

top topics

join