It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sikhs seeking exemption from motorcycle-helmet law

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Sikhs seeking exemption from motorcycle-helmet law

www.guelphmercury.com

Harpreet Singh Gill would love to feel the wind on his face while riding a motorcycle, but believes discrimination is keeping him from enjoying the open road.

Gill, owner of Wentworth Mushrooms in Stoney Creek, is a Sikh and believes Ontario’s law requiring motorcyclists and their passengers wear helmets interferes with his religion because his faith does not allow him to cover his turban or remove it outside of his home.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Helmet laws have been in effect for quite a while now, like several years due to bike (motor or regular bike) crashes but now someone wants to sue the government for implementing the laws meant to protect people from head injuries.

Ontario is one of those provinces where we take a lot of things with stride, like insurance laws on the east coast that force insurance companies to charge the same for both genders, HST was abolished in B.C., and these bike laws were also changed in Manitoba and B.C.

In Canada not wearing a helmet is $110 dollars under the highway traffic act.

www.guelphmercury.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Let the idiot wear his cloth helmet (Turban), we all know what is going to happen if he ever has a crash and has to rely on one's turbans.
And when it does, there will be one less idiot on the planet.

edit on 13-8-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
yea, the sad thing is people need to wear helmets whenever riding a bike, motorcycle, e-bike or anything like that just in case something happens.

The law requires people to wear helmets when they operate something like that, we wouldn't go into a hockey game without wearing a helmet or hockey mask would we ?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
It's a political move. This has been going on for ages. Remember the Sikh that wanted to use a turban instead of a hat when he attempted to join the RCMP? I met his son about 4 years ago. He confirmed as much. I work in Corrections and we have Sikh's working there. Let me tell you they aren't as religious as you think. They eat meat. Drink. Cut their hair. UNTIL they feel the need to become political and then you get tripe like this.

Bottom line? The law is the law. Don't like it? Move.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hypr2011

I couldn't see anywhere in the artice that he was looking to sue.

He is purely pointing out that his wearing of a Turban restricts his opportunities to ride a motorcycle. In the U.K, Sikhs are exempt from having to wear a crash helmet and I can't ever remember reading anything about a Sikh being killed as a result.
edit on 13/8/11 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

My work colleagues claim to be mainly Christian, but I know that none of them ever attend church, hate their neighbours and hardly ever turn the other cheek.

I have worked with Sikhs in the past and they have all been good people. Never a bad word to say about anybody and extremely hospitable.

Essentially every religion has members that do not fully embrace all beliefs within said religion.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
My work colleagues claim to be mainly Christian, but I know that none of them ever attend church, hate their neighbours and hardly ever turn the other cheek.

Very true.

I have worked with Sikhs in the past and they have all been good people. Never a bad word to say about anybody and extremely hospitable.

Until you piss them off and then it's off to the Human Rights Commission.

Essentially every religion has members that do not fully embrace all beliefs within said religion.

The law is still the law, no matter what. We had a Sikh lawyer try to get into our jail about 6 years ago with his ceremonial dagger. Not happening. NO weapons allowed inside. NO exceptions. He kicked up a stink and lost. We need more of that.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Meh. He just needs a helmet that fits over his turban.

*Accessory sword not included.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
that makes a nifty venture for business, if i were a hindu i'd design special size helmets for sikh bikers and enter the market right on the spot.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Maybe there should be an exception to the law for them, however their insurance company should also be able to make an exception. If you're in a crash with no helmet, no coverage. Saftey first.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jamsession

2 things. Sikhs and Hindus are separate religions. Secondly, Sikhs are not allowed to cover their headwear.

This is quite simple imo. You want to be a fervent believer? You can't ride in Canada. Don't like that? Move to an area that will allow this.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think I am correct in saying that here in the UK they are allowed to wear a turban instead of a helmet although I have personally never seen this in practice. (p.s I am also a biker ride a honda cbr 600) Edit to add I am correct just found this.. www.sikhiwiki.org...

Riding Motor Cycles

Sikhs who wear Turbans need not wear crash helmets when they ride Motor Cycles or Scooters. They have been allowed to wear Turban as their only headgear. In accordance with the Motor-Cycle Crash Helmets (Religious Exemption) Act 1976 passed by the British Parliament in 1976, Section 2A "exempts any follower of the Sikh religion while he is wearing a turban" from having to wear a crash helmet.

edit on 13-8-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Obviously none of you live in Surrey. I've see them riding without helmets daily for years now.
Hardly breaking news.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Get the right bird flying at the right height will solve all his issues about helmets . When he is a veg he can feel the wind as he rides his wheel chair . Had a co-worker almost get wiped out of the gene pool that way and he wears a helmet .

All he needs to do is stick his head out of the car if he wants wind in his face or better yet peddle his _____ around on a bicycle .

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

as long as we leave them to bleed out when they crash.

You cant knowingly take rediculous personally harmfull actions and expect any assistance when you fail.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I wonder if there are any stats on difference in mortality between Sikh and non Sikh riders that have been involved in a crash.
edit on 13-8-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I say let them ride their bikes without helmets. The only ones they will be hurting is themselves.

It seems a legit religious claim.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Your MENSA invitation got lost in the mail.

edit on 13-8-2011 by Skittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

ouch, i better keep my hands off the business or else i'd go bankrupt
but seriously, shouldn't life itself be the greatest gift from a believer's perspective? it should. aren't believers supposed to protect the life of others and their own? they are. this is one hell of a dispute.
edit on 13-8-2011 by jamsession because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join