It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody like John Huntsman?--GOP Debate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I believe he is one of the most honest candidates in the race. He is well balanced and answered every question with a solution. While many of the other candidates bashed others' beliefs. And he actually understands the democrats instead of hate speech towards them.

I fear that he won't be able to make much headway in the race.

Romney's too much like Obama
Ron Paul blabbing about the same stuff he has been forever now and won't win.
Herman Cain only knows about economics (although I do like him too)
Bachmann is too far right for me and too tea partyish.
Rick Perry--Way too much like Bush!!!!!

Anybody else like him?
edit on 13-8-2011 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

I didn't see anything that I did hate, but we don't need a mainstream GOP candidate.
We need someone to think outside of the box.
And so far, the field appears sadly lacking overall.

But I have hope that it will change.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

But not that type of Change lolz. Promised by a certain someone. Its still very early in the race. I'm afraid the wrong people will get more attention.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
reply to post by beezzer

But not that type of Change lolz. Promised by a certain someone.

No. Absolutely not.

What's missing is a candidate that will stand up and say, "We can't keep doing this. We have to stop." Some say Paul is that guy. I'm not convinced.

Jon Huntsman is a diplomat. A nice guy. Heck, I'm from Utah.

We need a real bast. . son of a bi. . . .bad guy willing to make some tough decisions.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
He looks good on paper minus the Mormon thing..but when you put him next to Newt, Ron Paul, and some of the more cartoonish candidates the republicans are draggin out there he kind of gets lost.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Stovokor

I know that's what I am afraid of, he's already not getting enough attention. And I don't care about the Mormon thing, it's not like he's gonna make us all become Mormons, he doesn't come across like that.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I know that's what I am afraid of, he's already not getting enough attention. And I don't care about the Mormon thing, it's not like he's gonna make us all become Mormons, he doesn't come across like that.

I'd consider voting for Huntsman, if Ron Paul doesn't win the nom..anyone else wins I'm going with Barry. I'm a big ole tree hugging liberal..but I most defiantly not ideologically tied to a party nor am I a one issue voter. the rest of e republican field is waaaaayyyy too far out in right field for me.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

A lot of liberals I know won't even imagine voting for or listening to anything republicans have to say. That is just really bias in my opinion. So Congrats on waking up and looking at both sides. I have liberals views as well I am for gay marriage, abortion, and am agnostic so you can see I don't fall in the mainstream beliefs as most republicans either. I just support a small government and all that ideology.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Thanks.

Every 4 years I sit down with my laptop and a pad of paper and each candidate gets a full sheet of paper. Then I draw a line down the middle for pro and con (which issue I agree with and which ones I don't). Then i go to each of the candidates websites and write down issues I agree with on the pro side and disagree with on the con. Whichever guy or gal I agree with most gets my vote. Its less emotional this way and I feel more co didn't casting my vote. I do the same thing at state and local level too.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I'm a new voter and really just got into politics in the last few years. I actually didn't vote in my first election 2008 because I didn't care for McCain's war-mongering and did not trust Obama. Plus I knew very little about politics back then.

I'll probably do what you do this time around tho and stick to this site for all the information. A pretty neutral source of information in my opinion.

Right now it's between Huntsman, Cain, and if not those Ron Paul. I do agree with some of his stuff.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Obama picked him as an Ambassador.

Not electable.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Not electable.

That could be a good thing tho. He knows how the other side thinks and will be able to get stuff done.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I'll probably do what you do this time around tho and stick to this site for all the information. A pretty neutral source of information in my opinion.

Not electable.

That could be a good thing tho. He knows how the other side thinks and will be able to get stuff done.

Might want to broaden your source for political info..lol

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Not electable.

When Republicans try to work with Democrats stuff never gets done for the better.

Remember "Read my Lips?" Classic example of why you DO NOT work with Democrats.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I believe he is one of the most honest candidates in the race. He is well balanced and answered every question with a solution. While many of the other candidates bashed others' beliefs. And he actually understands the democrats instead of hate speech towards them.

Anybody else like him?

Here is my short take....

Romney: was for forced medical care aka obama care. gun control, unconstitutional, anti freedom.

Ron Paul: The only chance our country has to return to its principles. Freedom will be restored!

Herman Cain: Said he will listen to his advisers then make decisions based on the info he receives. hmm, then who controls the info, controls cain. Another puppet. Result: more wars, more debt, more of the same.

Bachmann: Says one thing does another. I remember following her for years, she was always anti patriot act, but then she voted to renew it! did I mention she worked for the unconstitutional IRS. Result: more wars, more debt, more of the same. She will say one thing and do the opposite, how familiar does that sound?

Rick Perry--Don't even get me started....

#1 Rick Perry is a "big government" politician. When Rick Perry became the governor of Texas in 2000, the total spending by the Texas state government was approximately $49 billion. Ten years later it was approximately $90 billion. That is not exactly reducing the size of government.

#2 The debt of the state of Texas is out of control. According to usdebtclock.org, the debt to GDP ratio in Texas is 22.9% and the debt per citizen is $10,645. In California (a total financial basket case), the debt to GDP ratio is just 18.7% and the debt per citizen is only $9932. If Rick Perry runs for president these are numbers he will want to keep well hidden.

#3 The total debt of the Texas government has more than doubled since Rick Perry became governor. So what would the U.S. national debt look like after four (or eight) years of Rick Perry?

#4 Rick Perry has spearheaded the effort to lease roads in Texas to foreign companies, to turn roads that are already free to drive on into toll roads, and to develop the Trans-Texas Corridor which would be part of the planned NAFTA superhighway system. If you really do deep research on this whole Trans-Texas Corridor nonsense you will see why no American should ever cast a single vote for Rick Perry.

#5 Rick Perry claims that he has a "track record" of not raising taxes. That is a false claim. Rick Perry has repeatedly raised taxes and fees while he has been governor. Today, Texans are faced with significantly higher taxes and fees than they were before Rick Perry was elected.

#6 Even with the oil boom in Texas, 23 states have a lower unemployment rate than Texas does.

#7 Back in 1988, Rick Perry supported Al Gore for president. In fact, Rick Perry actually served as Al Gore's campaign chairman in the state of Texas that year.

#8 Between December 2007 and April 2011, weekly wages in the U.S. increased by about 5 percent. In the state of Texas they increased by just 0.6% over that same time period.

#10 Rick Perry attended the Bilderberg Group meetings in 2007. Associating himself with that organization should be a red flag for all American voters.

#11 Texas has the highest percentage of workers making minimum wage out of all 50 states.

#12 Rick Perry often gives speeches about illegal immigration, but when you look at the facts, he has been incredibly soft on the issue. If Rick Perry does not plan to secure the border, then he should not be president because illegal immigration is absolutely devastating many areas of the southwest United States.

#13 In 2007, 221,000 residents of Texas were making minimum wage or less. By 2010, that number had risen to 550,000.

#14 Rick Perry actually issued an executive order in 2007 that would have forced almost every single girl in the state of Texas to receive the Gardasil vaccine before entering the sixth grade. Perry would have put parents in a position where they would have had to fill out an application and beg the government not to inject their child with a highly controversial vaccine. Since then, very serious safety issues regarding this vaccine have come to light. Fortunately, lawmakers in Texas blocked what Perry was trying to do. According to Wikipedia, many were troubled when "apparent financial connections between Merck and Perry were reported by news outlets, such as a $6,000 campaign contribution and Merck's hiring of former Perry Chief of Staff Mike Toomey to handle its Texas lobbying work."

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deja`Vu

Anybody else like him?

Somebody doesn't like Perry lolz. What's your view on Huntsman, kinda left him out?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deja`Vu

Anybody else like him?

Somebody doesn't like Perry lolz. What's your view on Huntsman, kinda left him out?

honestly, I don't know much about him, but he seems so scripted and reminds me of (more of the same) type of candidate. Here some fun facts about him I found. still researching.

1) Jon Huntsman supports the Ryan Republican budget to end Medicare as we know it. When asked about the Ryan budget, he said: "I would've voted for it...Including the Medicare provisions.” Huntsman continued, saying that proposals like the Ryan budget deserve consideration now. Huntsman notes there are “proposals on the table that perhaps in years past would've been laughed out of the room. And we've got to look seriously at them. We don't have a choice. We've hit the wall." (ABC News, 5/20/2011)

2) Jon Huntsman supported an individual mandate for health reform as governor of Utah, but now opposes it. As governor of Utah, Huntsman supported health reform that would “mandate that all Utahans have health insurance through a nonprofit exchange that would facilitate the purchase of insurance” (Salt Lake Tribune, 8/11/07). Now that he’s running for president, Huntsman denies supporting those mandates. (Huffington Post, 5/20/2011)

3) Gov. Jon Huntsman signed legislation that created a health insurance exchange similar to the Affordable Care Act, but now says he would repeal health reform. As governor, Huntsman created health insurance exchanges similar to the Affordable Care Act that allows consumers to use a “fixed contribution from their employers and pre-tax funds from their own paychecks, can buy and compare plans” (Wall Street Journal, Market Watch, 3/14/2011). But as a presidential hopeful, Huntsman said: "If I had a chance to repeal it, I would.” (ABC News, 5/20/2011)

4) Jon Huntsman supported the Recovery Act, saying it “wasn’t large enough” – but has now changed his tune. In an interview with Politico about the Recovery Act, Huntsman said that it had some “fundamental flaws,” highlighting that “It probably wasn’t large enough,” and that “there probably wasn’t enough stimulus effect” (Politico, 2/24/2009).Fast forward to candidate Jon Huntsman who mischaracterized the Recovery Act, saying it was not “properly focused around that, which would really stimulate the economy, tax cuts, and it was not focused around enhancing our infrastructure, and preparing ourselves for the future.” (ABC News, 5/20/11) For the record, the Recovery Act cut taxes for 95 percent of Americans and invested heavily in our country’s infrastructure.

5) Jon Huntsman led the Western Governors Association and set a goal of creating a national energy policy that included cap and trade, but has now abandoned that position. As chairman of the Western Governors Association, Huntsman proposed “energy policy [to] include incentives for research and development, goals to reduce the nation's carbon footprint and setting a national cap and trade policy to limit emissions” (Deseret Morning News, 7/2/08). Now that he’s a presidential hopeful, Huntsman claims cap and trade is a bad idea and “this isn't the moment’ to keep trying.” (Time Magazine, 5/12/2011)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
All of the candidates have strengths and followings. Could a candidate win huge points by announcing some of his cabinet picks in advance? For example, Huntsman as Secretary of State? I know it's got a few practical problems, but this is a strange election and perhaps a new approach might be appreciated by the voters. It might show a willingness to unify the party by listening to different points of view and giving authority to people who have shown a connection to voters.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

You Know what that's not a bad idea. Most of the candidates like and/or appreciate each other. They have a wide variety of talents they can each bring to the table. Yeah, you know what watching the debate the other night I was thinking that all these people should run our country!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
My opinion is that the current group of Republican candidates are a bunch of clowns and are unworthy of any serious consideration at ALL.

Exceptions are Ron Paul, who I at one time strongly supported, and am still considering, albeit with little hope.

John Huntsman is also, at least so far, worth consideration. I strongly disagree with him on many things, but he at least shows some glimmer of intelligence behind his eyes, unlike the others.

I won't go so far as to say I "like" him, or support him or will vote for him, but I am watching him and learning what I can. We'll see.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join