It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird thing that just occured with my landline?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
So I'm having my morning coffee. A phone call comes in, it was private. So I asked a member of my family about it that lives about 6 acres away. They were doing their morning thing too. They said no, however we called the number and it was the police department.

Obviously they handle a large amount of things, so I knew the answer I would get but I asked anyway and said '' Can you tell me if anyone has called this number from there'', she said, '' No, we have not recieved anything''.

No one has nothing to hide so I find it in a low % that we would be looked into, but anything is possible. But passed that.

So I come back and try to finish my coffee and hit the bathroom to get my peace for the morning and sure enough I hear the door getting beat with heavy hand, I could tell it was the police before they said '' it's the police '', i'm in the bathroom shaking my head, and when they said whom they were, I just shook my head and said to myself, '' Of course it is ''. lol

I had to hurry up and get out cause after the 3rd knock I didnt want my door hurt, so I had to get up quick lol.

But I answered the door and the cop said '' Did you call 911, we recieved a call from 911'' , after I expressed what I just told you, they just said it was the weather, buts it's sunny out. lol.

I don't think it's anything to get worried over too bad, and even if it was I'm not worried about it, so my question is???

Can a landline call 911 when no one called?

I KNOW that I didn't call, I wouldn't call the police if I was on fire. I find it odd, lot of weird things happening lately. If thats normal thats that, I am just not a expert.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Was it a cordless phone? When I had one it called 911 by itself 3 times in a 6 month period. The dispatcher said it has something to do with the signals and frequencies produced by the phone. Got rid of it and just use my cell now.

Just looked it up. They [cordless phones] will dial when the ph has been left off the base and the battery gets low. Hope this helps
edit on 13-8-2011 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I.work for a telco and i can assure you that this is a fairly common issue.

Let me explai. How it works. Remember the the old pulse dialing systems before touch tone? The kind where the rotary phone made a series of clicks to dial the number. Same princible. Its a make and break circuit. Instead of recognizing frequencies this circuit breaks open and momentarily makes contact either 1 to 10 times in a row. This signals the systems at the phone company's end on what number you dialed. These systems still work as many people still do not subscribe to touch tone and some party lines are still in use.

What happens is this. Somehwere on your telephone line the copper connection is breaking apart. There is still enough to maintain a connection but eventually your line will go out of service. In the meantime the connection is breaking apart and reconnecting hundreds of times a day. Eventually it will break apart consistantly enough to sequence 9 times. The next two times it breaks will be the 1 and the 1. It's a weird problem but I repair these at least once a week. The police station usually reports the problem to the local telco but I would call your provider and let them know you have a line issue. The trouble is usually in the aerial drop or in the distribution cable. Sometimes an old defective phone will cause this.

Hope this helps. Sorry to inform you that there is no conspiracy though.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Caller ID can be faked. There are programs all over the net for this. Some one could have called 911 and put your phone number in the system. If that is the case then the real caller could be anywhere in the world. It could have been a Caller ID mistake or any number of things. I would not worry about it unless it happens again. If it does you had better talk to police about it before they get it in there heads you are making fake 911 calls.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Yeah as a matter of fact indeed it is a cordless phone and it has been getting static alot and sometimes it will not work, it has been having problems.

But since you said you experience the same, combing both of those that is the answer I was looking for, but did you have it programmed in the phone and maybe hit the wrong button cause I don't have it programmed in mine and I'm just wondering why it called/calls 911?

If that is the case Is 911 like a default when frequencies wig out lol?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

I completely understand now, thanks so much for posting all that now I can reassure the others it's nothing. I didn't know that either.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Yes i agree If your phone is wireless, it could have picked up interference, this once happened to me, and the police traced me, i had my mobile in my pocket and i must of dialed 999, sat on it, and with the rustling the police traced me and knocked on my door, thought it was cool they could pin point me, from a mobile though

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

No just a combination of old systems and a line trouble. Its funny though. Lots of folks are freaked out by this when I go for a repair. Heard.some funny stories too. One where the cops busted down the door and found a grow op. One where kids were smoking a doobie in the backyard and the fire dept, ambulance and police came roaring in. This one old couple had their door.kicked in at 2 in the morning and cops search the house while they were sleeping, the guy told me that at least if the kicking in of his door gave him a heart attack the ambulance was at least already there lol.
This one guy gave me a huge blast of sh1t saying" you know how much coc aine I have in this house??? I don't need the cops at my door" lol.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Yeah the conspricacy side of me always knows thats possible for anyone, so I always keep my mind open and sharp, thats why I wanted to get all these various responses cause alot of people know there # on here.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Yeah tell me about it, I was trying to use the can, half asleep, and I was in a bad situation, it was actually funny to me, cause I was just waiting for them to kick my door in, not out of fear but cause no one was answering and I was shuffling lol.
edit on 13-8-2011 by JAGx1981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JAGx1981

Yeah static is usually a sure fire sign that someone is wrong with your telephone service. Always call your company when this happens to avoid an outage which is eventually what will happen.
You mentioned acres so I assume you live in a rural area. Rural phone service is usually in a sorry state as it is. Numerous line troubles. Don't be surprised is the phone tech has a hard time finding the issue. Or if the static returns. In canada rural phone service is terrible. The local company Bell doesn't spend alot of money fixing or upgrading rural service. I know some of the customers in the rural areas on a first name basis im there so often.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I waited to reply to see if this was an ongoing thing with others. I live in the woods, and only have a literal land line phone, for emergencies, it is attached to 2 cordless phones, but in my kitchen it is a literal land line, like the old days

Sometimes my phone will ring, and if I cant get to the other (cordless) phones I will pick up the other, and sometimes all I hear is clicks, static and tones. There is nothing on the caller ID either. I am kind of a MK/Mind Control buff, and if you catch me on an interesting day, I would swear that I was being programmed

But... since this happens often, I guess I can leave that craziness alone.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Yeah they are in bad shape, we just buried them the other day cause the goats kept walking on it. Sometimes it has so much static you can barely hear.

I know a little to prolly do a few minutes of extra research then do it myself, but I prolly to do need to call the co. and let them handle it. Never have problems with my broadband though, I'm thankful for that living out in the country like this.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Same exact setup you have even in the country even got 2 cordless phones. Weird things do happen that if some weren't used to it, they would deem it paranormal lol.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JAGx1981

You are lucky to have broadband in the rurals. Not too many folks do. But there are some. Yeah the telco tech will check everything out. Buried service you say? Maybe that's the issue. If someone told me goats were walking on the cable that would be.my first guess. Those things don't last long as it is. One farm I went to the horses chewed the wires and service box right off the telephone pole lol.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Take your cordless phone and throw it in the car.

Drive to the next town and while your going past homes take your cordless phone and start calling 911.

It won't connect to YOUR base...since your home is 20 miles away....but it WILL use someone else's base and it will be like that home you just passed called 9-11.

That's what's happening. I wonder if a Chinese satellite could beam down at 2.4ghz over a US city to accomplish the same feat......9-1-1 getting rung overwhelming the system.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of your cordless.
edit on 13-8-2011 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

They do cause problems in apartment buildings. If you have the same set as your neighbor and the sets are operating on the same channel the lines will cross or the call displays will show your neighbors line. Most newer or higher end phones share a code with their base to prevent this problem. You need to sync additional sets with the base in order to use that set with a certain base.
if anyone recommends a high end set that doesn't have many problems with this I suggest panasonic. Possibly the best cordlesses on the market.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

I did that once kind of. I did not even have phone service at my house at the time. I got a 900 MHz cordless phone in a box of junk I picked up at at yard sell. plugged it up and charged it. I then was playing around with and got a dial tone. I was like no way. I unplugged the base station thinking the tone was coming from it. I dial the local number for the time and temp (free call) and it went though. The only thing I could every figure out was that one of the houses around me had a 900 MHz phone and this one locked onto that base station. And no I never made anymore calls on that phone if any one is wondering.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

You sound like some of my customers when I find them stealing a wireless connection or satellite service lol. I swear it was only one time Haha. I remeber coming to this one place and buddy was frantically dismantling his dish from the side of his house. We don't really care. Hell I would probably do the same if not for my employee discount.

My favorite is hey what the the he'll you are already connected to the net? They snatch their laptop out of my hand and start deleting the wireless profiles lol.

I.could write a book on my experiences.

Ever watch the show hoarders? You ain't seen nothin

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

I did only make the one call. I was too scared to even think about doing it again. I bet you do have a lot of stories to tell. Maybe you should write a book.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join