It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TSA Arrests man for filming them?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I think the man was being civil enough the TSA responding with extreme hostility and anger. It's uncalled for. Not to mention you can film in a public place just fine.

The man who got arrested was within his rights and seemed to be pretty calm while the TSA were being aggressive. How is this okay?

Edit: This is from January but it still relates.
edit on 8/13/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
So, is it illegal to film at a "federal checkpoint"?

That's what we need to find out.

That will put an end to it really quick and we can know for sure, who is right and who is wrong....

I think that guy is right though....

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Apparently it's perfectly legal. I also believe the charges against this guy were dropped.

www.tsa.gov...

edit: These cops seem to be making up laws and rules as they go along in this video.
edit on 8/13/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I would assume recording federal security operations would be illegal as it could be used for some sort of criminal activity. I doubt you could set up a camera in a bank either to videotape their routine.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Thanks for the comment Kro but I'd assume you'd read my post above yours. It's perfectly legal.

I guess if you want to disagree you should prove it. lol

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
In a free and open society, people shoot at each other with cameras.

In a closed tyranny, people shoot at each other with guns.

Pick your poison Uncle Sam.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
USA is a dictatorship now .no doubts

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Oh i'm not disagreeing at all. I have no clue what the law actually says so if you've researched already than your correct.

I would have thought differently but I guess not.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by USAisdevil
USA is a dictatorship now .no doubts

Land of decree. Home of the slave.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Oh i'm not disagreeing at all. I have no clue what the law actually says so if you've researched already than your correct.

I would have thought differently but I guess not.

Ah sorry. I was responding thinking you were doing your typical habit of disagreeing with the OP in every single thread you post in. So I responded a little aggressively. I'm sorry.

Anyways no the law seems to be you can film anywhere in public. State laws change that but I mean think about all the vloggers on YouTube (I hate them but anyways) that take flights like every week. They film their travels at the airport all the time.

Cops don't have a right to stop you from filming them. I've never understood why people think that working for the government gives you more privileges than citizens. (well it does but my point is it shouldn't lol)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Illinois has a State law that forbids the taping of anyone in public without their permission. I believe that includes the police since they are still citizens even when working. I would have to verify that but don't have the time at the moment.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Only in the land of the "free"...
Good to see some Americans that stand by their rights though instead of just obeying.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I think the police were causing more of a disturbance than the guy filming.
Disturbing the peace? There is no peace in an airport!

These security officers and police are pulling laws out of their behind. Maybe the guy should have resisted arrest and than sued them big $$$ for beating him into submission. Just because he was filming in a public facility.

They continue changing the charges when they really don't have a leg to stand on. So what is the charge... filming near a security checkpoint in a public area, causing a disturbance, complying with their requests, refusing to leave the airport, disturbing the peace, concealing identity, part of a criminal investigation and on top of that they're saying he's not being searched? What a bunch of keystone cops.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I think that law is only if you are making a commercial gain off your video. (ex money)

Even if it applies to cops as well it's stupid because the police don't enforce that law ever except when it comes to themselves. Or at least it seems they never enforce it (nobody knows about it)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The TSA seems to have a strange problem following their own rules and regulations... Of course, this is typical with sec-men.

TSA does not prohibit the public, passengers or press from photographing, videotaping or filming at security checkpoints, as long as the screening process is not interfered with or slowed down. We do ask you to not film or take pictures of the monitors. While the TSA does not prohibit photographs at screening locations, local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances might.

www.tsa.gov...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
but since when has to become legal to film or photograph someone who dont want to be filmed or photographed

i personaly belive its a gray area of law

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

You can film them in Illinois, you can not record audio. It is a eavesdropping law

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Here is a good basis to start your research if your interested:

Videotaping and Photography Laws

Photographing or videotaping a person without their knowledge or consent may open you up to a lawsuit for invasion of privacy. It's a tort or civil wrong. Generally it means the intentional intrusion into the private life or affairs of another person. If you violate someone's right to privacy and cause injury, that person is entitled to sue you to recover damages.

On top of that, your videotaping or photography may be a criminal offense. It's a good idea to talk to an attorney about the laws in your area that may limit or restrict your ability to videotape or photograph people, places or things.

Public Places are Fair Game, Almost

Generally, it's perfectly legal to videotape or photograph any person and anything while on public property, except:
•You can't take pictures of areas that are usually considered private such as bedrooms, bathrooms, changing rooms, locker rooms, hotel rooms and so on
•Certain public places have banned the use of cameras such as mass transit systems, courthouses, capital buildings, secured government buildings, jails or prisons unless you obtain written permission
•You can't film or photograph if it interferes with police, fire, medical or emergency operations

communications-media.lawyers.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Maybe people should start wearing these:

Clear Glasses Camera

This miniature-size video camera is simple to use and makes a great addition to any of our DVR units. The high-resolution camera lens offers 640x480 resolution recording and also features low-power consumption. Pair this camera with any of our DVRs and record crystal-clear picture in a complete body-worn camera system.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Certain public places have banned the use of cameras such as mass transit systems, courthouses, capital buildings, secured government buildings, jails or prisons unless you obtain written permission

I suppose they shouldn't be deemed "public" places anymore then, if that is the case.
edit on 13-8-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join