It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another big bang could happen!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Another big bang could happen at any moment!!
Pretty slim chance of it happening though.

www.sky.com...

sorry the link doesn't give much info, i'm having a look for a better link.
Maybe 'our' big bang wasnt the first then........

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
So, is the article trying to say we may have invaded someone's private bathroom time with our universe?

This just seems too far fetched to be a possibility. I mean, wasn't the supposed primordial atom that created us relatively big (in atomic terms, like element 115 or larger)?

Just seems a little too obscure to be a serious concern is all, but I'd love to hear others take on it.

Of course being a creationist (although an atypical one on several fronts), I don't believe in the scientific communities version of the Big Bang. Unless they mean a Big God spoke and *Bang!* it happened. I am open minded, though, and would never seek to trample on another person's belief(s). In fact, I find the scientific view of things fascinating and love to learn more, so by all means, let's hear other opinions on the matter of another Big Bang.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
What a pointless theory, why spend all that research time and money figuring out the chances of another big bang?
If a big bang did occur in our bedroom/kitchen no one would ever know i just see this as pointless theres just nothing worth thinking about just another pointless fact IMHO

The only thing i can gain from this is tell my friends "Did you know theres a one divided by one followed by 100 million trillion trillion trillion trillion noughts chance of a big bang starting in your bedroom"

Ahh knowledge is power!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by markjaxson

The only thing i can gain from this is tell my friends "Did you know theres a one divided by one followed by 100 million trillion trillion trillion trillion noughts chance of a big bang starting in your bedroom"

I hope the odds are greater in MY Bedroom....

Seriously,

Even the FIRST big bang is Theoretical. It fits a lot of mathematical models, so it works for now.
A new discovery tomorrow could wipe out even those theories..Ya NEVER know!l

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I suspect that until all matter and energy in the universe were to be drawn together by sheer force of gravity in a collective manner, a second big bang will not happen. This of course is based on the notion that the moment before the big bang occured, the entirety of matter, energy, and perhaps even space-time was condensed into an ultra-heavy particle of some kind that become unstable. How long was the stability of the ultra-heavy particle?

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This article is another tangent of the Chaotic Inflationary Cosmology that was pioneered by Andrei Linde. Basically it says that a universe could be created in a lab with only one hundred-thousandth of a gram of matter. It all works because it gains energy from the negative gravitational field.

This new universe would not expand outward and destroy the lab from whence it came on the contrary it will expand inward upon itself. The universe would only appear as an Elementary particle to us. So who's to say that it hasn't alreday happened and there are millions of universes floating around us.

A little more reading on the matter...........

slate.msn.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
From standard big-bang model, to vaccum fluctuations, to early inflation theories, to the new chaotic inflation one, we are trying to understand how the universe formed and what is its fate! Are we making it too complex? May be understanding all this stuff is just out of a human mind's reach. Every new theory seems to solve the problems in the earlier one. Then they find problems with the new one and there is a search for another one.

Btw, I find chaotic inflation very interesting. Specially the part where they talk about how new universes bud off from the pre-existing ones where the pre-existing one might have budded off from another existing universe. It does not have a beginning nor an end.

I also found it interesting how monopoles could act as wormholes connecting two inflated space-time (universes).

Inflation for Beginners : www.biols.susx.ac.uk...
Linde has discovered that, according to theory, the conditions that create inflation persist inside a magnetic monopole even after inflation has halted in the Universe at large. Such a monopole would look like a magnetically charged black hole, connecting our Universe through a wormhole in spacetime to another region of inflating spacetime. Within this region of inflation, quantum processes can produce monopole-antimonopole pairs, which then separate exponentially rapidly as a result of the inflation. Inflation then stops, leaving an expanding Universe rather like our own which may contain one or two monopoles, within each of which there are more regions of inflating spacetime.

The result is a never-ending fractal structure, with inflating universes embedded inside each other and connected through the magnetic monopole wormholes. Our Universe may be inside a monopole which is inside another universe which is inside another monopole, and so on indefinitely. What Linde calls "the continuous creation of exponentially expanding space" means that "monopoles by themselves can solve the monopole problem". Although it seems bizarre, the idea is, he stresses, "so simple that it certainly deserves further investigation".

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Quite a thing to understand really... But well...

My (simple) idea of how maybe something can suddenly be created from nothing would go with anti-matter. As far as I know, anti-matter exists as the opposite of matter. It is now believed that matter and anti-matter are not behaving in purely opposite ways, but I don't know too much about that...

However, since then matter + anti-matter = nothing + energy (I know it may look too simple but...), what then prevents matter and anti-matter to be created from nothing given some energy? I mean energy itself could create as such matter and anti-matter.

Also, we know now that the universe is about only 4% atoms, the rest is about 3/4 dark energy and 1/4 dark matter (source APOD). So maybe this dark energy that we nearly don't know a thing about is involved in that process and is the source of all universes? There may be in fact big bangs "frequently" in all places in the universe(s?) that create embedded universe like in jp1111's quote...

new topics

top topics

join