It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elite Debunkers on ATS have been debunking every conspiracy since they joined. Why?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
of every conspiracy i've ever come across and looked into, there's always been one thing that struck me as interesting, and every conspiracy theory has it...

the understanding that something is not right.

for if everything was right, then the world would be perfect. everything explained, nothing unusual ever happening.

but we all know that's not the case.

we all know that this world is not right. we all know that there Are a number of unusual things that have happened and Are happening throughout the world...and this very understanding is at the core of every conspiracy theory. that is why ats and other sites exists, because many know that there is an enormous number of things in our world that are simply not right.

and when i say not right, i do include the unexplained, the bizarre, the unusual, the uncommon, and anything that deviates from societal norms.

and there are a ton of things that fit into each of those categories.

yet, with debunkers, the pattern i've often seen is continuously set on undoing the understanding that something is not right, regardless of motivation. they are the cons to the pros provided on this site and others like it.

that is their purpose, to refute possibilities. to deny the possible and probable because it has been deemed in some fashion to be impossible.

but in the end, it is you...your intuition, your instinct, your gut feeling...the very reasons why you are here...that will guide you and help you balance between what debunkers provide, and what you hold to be true...

that something is not right.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
There's a big difference between ridiculing a conspiracy theory and debunking one. True debunking means proving it false. If debunkers can actually do that, truly disprove a theory, then fine. Don't we seek the truth? On the other hand, you can choose not to believe what is being told as truth until you verify it. Ridicule is another matter. Some ARE kinda whacky, but again, don't we try to find out what's true out there? Some people don't seem to want the truth though, despite a great deal of contrary evidence. Hmmmm is the earth only 6000 plus years old? lol

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I surely don't mind people bringing an opposing viewpoint to any given conversation. What I have a problem with are members who cannot present their viewpoint in a civil manner. I realize that not everyone on this site has the same social skill set, but common courtesy should be doable for anyone who made it past kindergarten. We don't have to be everyone's friend, but neither do we have to be condescending, know-it-all trolls in every thread.

^^^Those comments apply to "debunkers", true believers, skeptics, nut jobs and everyone in between.^^^

If civility isn't the problem and it's just people saying you're wrong, ya just gotta realize that you can't win every argument. No matter what the subject is there will ALWAYS be at least one person who disagrees with your opinion.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

i'm thinking perhaps there is a personality type that is prone to playing the devil's advocate for the sake of doing so. after all, if you posted a thread and had nothing but yes men for 5 pages, that would be boring. that would led to ATS becoming a ghost town in a matter of 12-24 weeks, i'm guessing.

i recently participated in a thread where i noticed the OP was willing to respond to posters but was obviously not able to have any flexibility towards others POV & opinion. i'll admit, it grew old quickly. i have a relative like that. he's the type of person i no longer discuss any thing of a serious nature with at all because i can't well tolerate a braying donkey.

maybe some play the devil's advocate, and some are simply dogmatic. but please, keep in mind: we are not responsible for other peoples actions, we are responsible for our reactions. if we choose to allow someone to get under our skin or infuriate us, it is we who are having a bad day, not them.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

It's about representing a balance of views, Believers and Sceptics alike, and the ability to respect an opposing view, without resorting to personal attacks because somebody disagrees with us. Cutting out the to and fro attacks ( As opposed to a POLITE exchange of views.) would be an improvement, and agreeing to disagree.

Without the Believers, putting forward all manner of explanations / hypotheses to a variety of topics, and without the Sceptics to challenge them, this would very quickly become a boring website. Thanks to the " Exchange " of views, A.T.S. remains vibrant and fascinating. Keep up the good work !

I'm a hardened sceptic in all matters, preferring to look for the likeliest answers to certain topics on A.T.S; and I realise I'm in a tiny minority, which does not bother me in the least.

Respect to all posters, whatever their view.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I signed up just to respond to this thread as I am personally very interested in this subject.

So we are on page 5 of this great topic and not much as been said as to why:

Someone who seems to be so smart on some many subjects spends so much time on a site dedicated to researching conspiracy theories. Some posters on here seem to have degrees of the highest levels of physics and astronomy (I suck at spelling on accident/purpose and couldn't care less so get over it).

I mean honestly, I find myself to be quite a basketcase (not a bad thing) and frequent most of these conspiracy website alot (not that the 2 are related/unrelated), but some of these "enlightened ones" are on here 24/7.

Here are follow up questions in this jumbled first post:

1.) If these people are as smart as they are, why not try to help find the "actual" conspiracies instead debunking "hoax" conspiracies? Or do they believe that there are in fact no conspiracies so why bother?

2.) Where do they find all the time to be so dedicated to such a hobby? Again some of these posters are on here 24/7 replying to any adversary in record time sometimes going hours on end. Tell me again how someone can be so smart yet waste so much time convincing us "lesser minds" of what the truth is? It's almost job-like...

3.) The last word the OP posted in the subject name: Why? Why? Why do you do it? This isn't aimed to the casual person refuting a bogus claim with hard facts (you are welcomed and enjoyed by most) this is aimed at those who like i said seems to make it there JOB to refute any and all alternative ideas. Does your ego need that much stroking or is there something I am missing?

I have a personal opinion on the matter:

Debunkers are not all bad people and yes there are needed.
"Deny Ignorance" can be manipulated to mean anything apparently depending on the person's mindset.
Those who spend countless hours trying to prove everyone wrong need to step back and be honest with themselves. Are you doing this for yourself to prove how smart you are or to gain appreciation? Or are you in this game to do what I thought we were supposed to do.

Work TOGETHER to find the truth. The arrogance, stock answers, and general consensus hive thoughts are out of control.

You can tell someone they are wrong and be respectful.
You can disagree and not be a shill or paid agent.

P.S. - No you are not a comedian so stop trying to be funny with 1 liners and sarcasm. Sarcasm is a sickness in today's society (my opinion feel free to dispute). Every thread there is 1 person who believes themselves to be a comedian. Just stop and use what the great comedian Leslie Nelson had that almost no comedians of today have: Comic Timing!

Feel free to sift through my post as I haven't proof read and looked into seeing what can be turned around on me. I could care more but lately I could care less.

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Also to follow up on those who feel it their duty to refute any and all claims.

By responding to drivel like "Nibiru is outside right now!" or "Sandy Hook was done by Aliens" (maybe it was lol) and "My friend told me that blahblahblah" remember this:

Responding to the thread gives it much unneeded attention and prompts more to see it. If you want drivel like that to go away, let it do so quietly and let the mods and people know what you want with your votes.

Also by always replying to garbage like this leads certain people to believe when you show up, it gives the thread merit of possibly being true. Use your great debunking responses on the hard pressing issues and leave the garbage to entry level debunkers. It'll save you time while sifting through the garbage. It would only make sense to reply to all garbage if you were getting paid. And that's obviously a ridiculous thought.

Bye!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
My Illuminati pay masters and I find it very funny that ATS members really do believe that the “powers at be” would need to pay people to discredit or “debunk” conspiracy theories.

Don’t you people see…..

You do all that for us.

Please note, I am not nor have I ever been paid by the CIA or any other organisation to post anything on a website.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join