It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samsung OLED Flexible Display - You Are Not Going To Believe This!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Samsung has made a - quantum leap - forward.

They should put all of these in Apple Laptops and iPads!
This is incredible!

-----------
Organic Light Emitting Displays require no backlight.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
This is also cool..

Solar powered TRANSPARENT display.

ecomagnificent.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

this video is from 15.10.2009

omg, what are they up to nowadays ?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Yay some more useless junk to buy....or loot lol.

Maybe the ipad25 will use this technology....they need to take as much money from you sheeple before letting you have a go at this.

Consume consume consume............bbbaaaaahhhhhh

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack

this video is from 15.10.2009

omg, what are they up to nowadays ?

I heard Apple already went over there but the current yields are not good enough to
keep up with iPad 2 demands.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Won't be long now until we have rollable displays like in Red Planet:

Funny how quickly science catches up to science fiction. This is definitely a must have toy

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
This is the worst thread to right "You're not going to believe this" in the title. There are hundreds of threads on ATS that blow my socks of everyday and none of them say "you're not going to believe this" and I end up not believing it.

For the first time I ever, this disclaimer is completely unwarranted and my socks stayed on.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel

Funny how quickly science catches up to science fiction. This is definitely a must have toy

It's too bad we don't have an American company making these in the USA.
1 company could create over a 1,000 high paying jobs in Arizona or Texas.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
what are they up to nowadays ?

A great place to keep track of OLED news is here:

www.oled-display.net...

OLED technology is still in the developmental stages, but will start being mass-produced in the next year or so. It is predicted that within the next 5 years, OLED TV's will cost only about 30% of what LCD TV's cost because there are fewer parts and fewer steps to build OLED TV's.

And within a year or so after that, you will be able to unroll a 60" to 100" (or more) OLED TV onto your wall just like you unroll wallpaper onto your wall.

OLED technology will change the future as we know it.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Im pretty sure if they were made in the USA they would fall apart within a week of owning them.....so maybe they will be made in the USA after all lol.

Yay consumerism ftw lol

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

OLED technology is still in the developmental stages, but will start being mass-produced in the next year or so. It is predicted that within the next 5 years, OLED TV's will cost only about 30% of what LCD TV's cost because there are fewer parts and fewer steps to build OLED TV's.

Sorry i dont believe a word of it....30% cheaper than an older product...somehow i dont think so.

They always come along and say..."we are doing it to help you save money" whereas infact they really want to extract as much cash from you as they feel they can.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Fall apart?

Did you watch the video?
These OLEDs are practically indestructible!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Yes, it will be 30% cheaper such as technological companies actually reduce manufacturing costs of components by making circuits on a smaller level. The original PS3s had 90nm (nanometer) wiring while newer more cost efficient cell processors actually use 60 nm circuits! But one reason to think that costs of older technology will remain low is due to supply over demand rather than production cost.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel

Actually we've had those since 2006/8 (I can't remember which it was.) They just weren't OLED. I seen it at CES that year.

Here is a video of it...

P.S.

The video isn't from the CES I saw it at... and the post date is also 09... but still -- the point remains it exists. (When I saw it, it was the the hands of a person... no some automatic rolling demo machine.)
edit on 13-8-2011 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

its logic....if it doesend break... you wont have to buy new...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

Star Trek is where most of our tech comes from.
Doors that open when you walk by
handheld devices
flip communicators

Looks like motorola ripped off the design lol

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by UsernameCory
Yes, it will be 30% cheaper such as technological companies actually reduce manufacturing costs of components by making circuits on a smaller level. The original PS3s had 90nm (nanometer) wiring while newer more cost efficient cell processors actually use 60 nm circuits! But one reason to think that costs of older technology will remain low is due to supply over demand rather than production cost.

So please explain....

The fat PS3 was £249.99

The NEW slim was £299.99.......that doesnt look like a 30% reduction to me???

Manufacturing costs may drop...but the cost to the consumer doesnt.
edit on 13-8-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Yeah I know. It's like the trekkies, who are now engineers, are gonna make it happen.

Here's a few more:

- floppy discs
- hypo sprays
- directed energy weapons
- ion drives

Just give them time hehe

SM2

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by UsernameCory

Actually the PS3 is bad example for that as they continue to use the newer die and process as they bring newer ones to the market the current generation of the PS3 processor and GPU is 45 and 40 nm respectively witch is on par with the process used by AMD and Intel for thier current chips on the market. The mainstream AMD Phenom 2 multicore chips are 45nm as are Intel I-x seres chips, the new Intel "sandy bridge" chips are the new 32nm process and the new AMD A series are also 32 nm. Scaling down the process ( it is not wiring either it is the entire manufacturing process) does not make it cheaper to manufacture, it actually increases the cost in most regards, it does however make them more energy efficient and faster. The cost goes up because they have to retool the entire manufacturing line. The big chip makers usually roll out a new die process every couple of years. The end result is more performance, less energy consumed, less heat.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Maybe you do have a point how our society is weighted a bit too much on the side of consumerism, I do agree there are people out there who deliberately hold back technology in order to extract as much money as they can from the old technology. But come on. Its just the way things are. We cannot start at the top, we have to work our way up there, and along the way mistakes will be made and older technologies will become obsolete.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join