It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Distribution of Wealth; Should personal and corporate wealth be capped?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
reply to post by TheRemedial

You would get far more tax revenue were you to lower the tax rates and create a flat tax and then eliminate loopholes across the board. A lot more.

Opinions and discussion is the entire point of this thread, thank you. What you said makes sense to me to a point but my point is when is enough, enough?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
No, because, wealthy private individuals and corporations are a vital part of economy. It is this luxury spending that pushes humanity forward. Also, stealing is wrong.

I believe it should be capped from the opposite end, so that everyone has enough wealth to cover basic necessities. Thats all whats needed.

edit on 13/8/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

its not a cop out, my grandad work hard all of his life and died while getting a basic pension and living in a council house. my dad works hard and always has, same story, in a coucil house earning minimum wage. i worked hard in school, got good grades but did not have the money to furhter my education, i work hard going from warehouse job to warehouse job earning minimum wage. to start a business you need money to back it, even to get a loan you need to prove you can pay it back (which you cant when you earn minimum wage)

and im not blaming migrant workers for the lack of jobs, im blaming the government for creating a system were companies get rewarded for employing migrant workers.
sad truth is i was born working class and unless i win the lottery i will die working class

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
You would first have to place a cap on insanity, or just accept that it's completely sane as a society to let a professional athlete that knows how to run a little ball down a stretch of grass earn 20million dollars as he beats his wife, raises canines to fight bloody battles for fun, and smokes crack as a 19 year old Iraq war veteran lays in his section 8 housing with no legs as a result from an IED blast, wondering if he will get his disability check next month because congress is acting like a bunch of little punks arguing over who gets to be the banker when they play monopoly (cause everyone wants to be the banker in that game- it's a hands down winner if you cheat right).

We are to blame for the excess wealth being squandered from our own greed. We are they, and they are we as you are me and we are all together.. =P

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The monetary system we now have in place Globally IS the root of the World’s problems.

The system is designed to keep the majority of the Population struggling to “Pay for Life” while the ruling elite and their lap dogs the bankers live in luxury off the labor of the masses.

We all need to change our brainwashed minds and see this system for what it actually is.

Throw off you bonds of materialism and recognize that You were created by God to live freely upon the Earth. Why should you “pay” for what God has given you freely?

ALL ORGINAL WEALTH COMES FROM THE EARTH !

Why should the Human Race allow Exxon-Mobile and BP to control the oil of the Earth, is it not the property of the Human Race, so why then do just a few get to enjoy the wealth that comes from it, it belongs to each and everyone of us. All of the Earth’s Natural resources can be thought of in this manner.

Why would we allow a Cooperation to pollute of Oceans & Rivers, does not the most valuable resource on this planet belong to each and everyone of US, the Human Race.

God has entrusted us, the Human Race with his beautiful creation, it is our inheritance, why should we allow a small group of greedy people to use our own property to enslave US.

Africa has the most natural resources in the world and the Global elite have impoverish the people so badly that thousand die each day from lack of food.

What must we do… Revolution. Not an Armed conflict with the ruling class, No the revolution is with-in each of us. We must recognize that every human on this planet has the same needs and desires as we do. That we all are created to live freely upon the Earth and through cooperation with one another we build a society that allows each of us to reach their personal potential.

Should the bank account of the most wealthy individuals be capped.

The answer is if we truly loved these people we would not allow them to injure themselves by hording paper with art work on it, they are wasting the life given to them. So as their loving brothers we would have a cap on the wealth that one individual has , not for ourselves but out of love for them.

Change your mind and your ass will follow.

Non Compliance with the system is the beginning.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I have always been puzzled
by the world of business. Take Advertising why does

an advertiser pay SILLY money to some already mega rich person to advertise their products?

every one knows the celebrity's are only putting their name to the product probabaly don't

use it (not expensive enough for them!)

Take 'Walkers Crisps' wouldn't have them dont care who's promoting them 'Seabrook' for me

everytime taste better imo. I don't need Cheryl Cole to tell me 'what i'm worth' I'm worth

whatever suits ME best through trial and error. So why dont the advertisers take their

pick of ordinary attractive people to promote their products, Spread some money around and

not swell the coffers of the already OVERPAID, OVER INDULGED, already filthy rich celebrities

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom
I don't see how you would implement such an idea. Suppose you set a limit of say, $1 million annual income. What happens when you make $1.5 mil?

If the OP wishes to cap income, it would be nice if he could come with a plan to implement it.
All I can see is that the number of laws and regulations would increase, more lawyers and accountants would be employed, and more loopholes would be exploited.

In your example, somebody would merely set up an offshore holding company, and send the extra money there.
Ah yes, but then new laws would have to be put in place to stop that.
So they dont get money, but get stacks of shares instead.
Ah, yes, but then new laws would have to be put in place to stop that.
So they dont get shares, they get given property, or a football club.
Ah, yes, but then new laws would have to be put in place to stop that.

And so on it goes, more laws, more regulations, more lawyers and more accountants.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
To eletheia... why? becuase it works. Every time.

Capping wealth is a prickly subject. The knee jerk response is, 'If we cap wealth there will be no incentive to work, no jobs will get created, the economy won't grow.' None of that is true. You don't need to cap wealth. What we need is a system that incentivizes people of greater wealth to put that money into the REAL economy. Not onto Wall Street or bond accounts. Into the functioning larger economy. We have moved from an economy based upon production to an economy based upon investment (aka gambling). That's why nearly all the wealth generated in the last 30yrs has gone to the very top.

The notion that anybody has the right to become welathy is crap. Suppose you are a farmer. The only way he can become wealthy is to drastically raise the prices of his food. Which hurts everyone. Or become a corporate farm. The large industrial farms are the only ones making money and their very presence puts our agricultural infrastructure at-risk. Is it a good thing that industrial agriculture is crushing the family farm? Only if all your eggs in one basket means nothing to you.

The unfortunate thing that consoidation of wealth translates into consolidation of power. They can use their wealth to influence politicians, legislation and policy that beenefits them (the extreme minority) at the expense of the majority. And that creates instability in society. That is a fact. The wealthy have moved our manufacturing and lots of jobs overseas in order to take advantage of lower wages, lax environmental laws and non-existent worker protection. Which translates into greater profitability and, yes, more wealth. At the expense of the country. Plus, being over seas allows them to avoid taxes. How can they get away with this? Becasue they used their wealth to get laws and regulations in-place that allowed it.

Do you believe that it's a coincidence that most major politcians come from the wealthy elite? Can you envision a way that a blue-collar common person could make it to President? Exactly who do you thing these politcians represent? Certainly not us. So I believe it is less about capping wealth and more about capping wealth's disproportionate influence on our society.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

This is why we had anti-monopoly laws. Those are long gone.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Surely i am not alone in spending my money wisely?? In buying products, food and

services that i want and are in my eye's value for money, and not pay extortionate prices

because it is a brand used by or advertised by the latest celebrity? Thats what i find so hard

to beleive ............that people are that gullible!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Capping how much money anyone accumulates vs. breaking up monopolies? Those are 2 seperate subjects. Let's proclaim "cap everyone" then talk about monopolies as if this automatically makes the capping right. *sigh*

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
First thing I would do if I was rich would be to find candidates who would overturn this law and make sure they are funded to the hilt in every election. This law wouldn't last long.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Great points so far.

I just want to illustrate the disconnect a little at this point.

Gallery: The Richest People On The Planet This year's list broke records in size (1,210 billionaires) and total net worth ($4.5 trillion). China doubled its number of 10-figure fortunes, and Moscow now has more billionaires than any other city. Mexico's Carlos Slim widened his lead at No. 1

www.forbes.com...-1__-1

Apple Now Has More Cash Than The U.S. Government Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

www.businessinsider.com...

How badly could the US economy could have used almost $1 trillion in spending and investment last year? Blame abounds for the previously-dead-but-only-slowly-reviving economy: profligate Wall Street, a confused Federal Reserve, strapped consumers, and of course the clueless White House. How about US corporations and their leaders? They oversee a cash “hoard” (to use the term from Alan Reynolds recent Wall Street Journal op-ed “The Myth of Corporate Cash Hoarding”) that dwarfs the infrastructure and tax cut plans bandied about last year, and handily exceeds the 2009 stimulus package.

www.hedgetracker.com...

I am thinking you need to move it or lose it.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris
reply to post by mobiusmale

its not a cop out, my grandad work hard all of his life and died while getting a basic pension and living in a council house. my dad works hard and always has, same story, in a coucil house earning minimum wage. i worked hard in school, got good grades but did not have the money to furhter my education, i work hard going from warehouse job to warehouse job earning minimum wage. to start a business you need money to back it, even to get a loan you need to prove you can pay it back (which you cant when you earn minimum wage)

and im not blaming migrant workers for the lack of jobs, im blaming the government for creating a system were companies get rewarded for employing migrant workers.
sad truth is i was born working class and unless i win the lottery i will die working class

Look...please understand I am not jumping on you here. I am trying to send you a message of hope.

Whether you believe it or not, you can break out of the cycle. Do you want to start your own business, without any money?

Simple...take a couple of basic sales courses, and then offer your services to a company or two on a straight commission basis. You can earn as much as you want! The Company makes all of the investments in storefront or offices, inventory, shipping, office staff...all the rest.

You invest your time, energy and passion to succeed. In many cases you can do this type of thing part time to begin, while you are still in your regular employment for security. This is one way to get your start...to break out of the pattern.

Just thoughts...and as this is off topic...I will leave it at that. Good luck!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Considering that massive weath DOES NOT APPEAR OVERNIGHT, and HAS TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE, there is no such thing as being held back by "the man" from making money. Even old money had someone in their ancestory that was broke.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Please explain hoarding?

If I have 1k$ and I stick it in my mattress that would I think be hoarding.
If I put it in the bank as savings then the bank can lend someone else money for other things.
If I buy stock in a company then that company has money to spend on new equipment or whatever.
If I go to the store and buy stuff the store makes money and hires workers, the manufacturing plant that made the stuff makes money and hires workers, the transport workers that move the stuff from the manufacturer to the store make money and so on.

So far the only case of hoarding I can see is stuffing it in a mattress, is this what all those 'rich' folks are doing? Or do they spend it and invest it?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

I hear you, believe me. But the statistics and analytics don't lie. I'm in a senior role in the advertising industry and have worked in that capacity for over 20yrs. Celebrity endorsements make HUGE amounts of money for advertisers. There is hardly anything else that gives that ROI. Believe me, if it didn't work... if it didn't make sense at the bottom line, we wouldn't be doing it.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

If you were to take the cash and give it to the government, what exactly would you expect the government to do with it?

Continue to provide subsidizes to the mohair industry?
Operate the over 700 active military installations currently in use?
Build hypersonic planes that go missing after 9 minutes in the air?
Throw more cash to millionaires who grow corn?
Invest in failing schools?
Pay for sex-change operations for loons in prison?
Buy more $700 screw drivers
Fly more empty planes to rural airports?

Keep the money in the hands of people who are competent. Those folks are putting the money to work

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I am thinking you need to move it or lose it.

Wow...how quickly your tune would change if people or governments decided to take your "idle" cash (maybe your retirement savings) because you are not "moving it."

Look...if a rich person, or Company, has money sitting in the bank...it is actually still moving. Why? Because Banks can lend certain multiples of their deposits to other citizens or companies...in mortgages, business loans, car loans, credit card balances, etc. So, if Mr. Soros puts $5 billion into a bank account somewhere he is actually enabling movement of cash of as much as $15 billion to other people.

See this link for an example of how this works.

www.discusseconomics.com...

If instead, the money is put into the stock market (or to buy or create Companies), it can/will be used to expand businesses, buy products, employ people etc. This "idle" money, then, is actually spinning around in and out of other peoples' pockets...thus contributing to overall economic activity. In fact, the economic spin-off from employing somebody at, say $50,000 per year can be from 2 to 4 times that...or about $100,000 - $200,000 per year in "new" economic activity.

A couple of discussions of the "Employment Multiplier" are below...

www.triplepundit.com...
www.uwex.edu...

So, this notion you have of this money not moving, is actually very far from the truth.

edit on 13-8-2011 by mobiusmale because: typos

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Well I am not exactly saying give it to the government. I wanted open discussion on getting the money moving and just general ideas and thoughts people have about the wealth distribution. Anyone can add to or debate anything they like on the topic, I want to know what you think and I think people who contribute to this thread want to know what others are thinking as well.

There are plenty of ways to deal with idle cash. You could say above a point, money must be used to employ or go back into the community ~OR~ you will be taxed at a higher rate on the monies above and beyond the limit in possession. It's an idea in an open ended thread inviting people to debate an issue I feel needs touched on more.

I am not talking about people with even 5 million in savings here. This is for the excessively rich hoarders of cash whom do not contribute to the system fairly
edit on 13-8-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join