It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dozens of teens detained after Philadelphia's earlier curfew

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

"(CNN) -- Not long after the Philadelphia clock tower chimed to mark the 9 p.m. hour Friday, police picked up almost two dozen teens during enforcement of the city's new curfew."

Man this is pretty sucky.
I understand that there are "trouble" areas but still...the police state sux. The crazy thing is they are doing it to our kids. They're not doing it to us yet...doing it to the kids.
edit on 13-8-2011 by Stella Lotus because: grammar etc

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Stella Lotus

9PM? Sigh...when you can't even walk freely on the public land of your own country I think there's a deeply serious problem.

When you are confined to your own living space at certain hours and there's a CCTV on every corner I can't help but picture a prison in my head.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
And when teens riot they wonder why.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stella Lotus
www.cnn.com...

"(CNN) -- Not long after the Philadelphia clock tower chimed to mark the 9 p.m. hour Friday, police picked up almost two dozen teens during enforcement of the city's new curfew."

I understand that there are "trouble" areas but still...the police state sux. The crazy thing is they are doing to our kids. They're not doing it to us yet...doing to the kids.

I say we send the cops to prison for not minding their own business and praying on innocent kids who are just trying to have a good time. I don't care if it's 3 o'clock in the morning, let the parents deal with it. Unless they're causing trouble, they don't need to be kicked off the streets.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
The sun what sets around 8pm? The sky might not even be ...dark. In June the sun sets at 8:33pm.
Lame that if you are 17 and you walk your girlfriend home or...whatever and you risk putting your folks in the hole $250.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ForeverDusk

www.cnn.com...

I understand that there are "trouble" areas but still...the police state sux. The crazy thing is they are doing to our kids. They're not doing it to us yet...doing to the kids.

I say we send the cops to prison for not minding their own business and praying on innocent kids who are just trying to have a good time. I don't care if it's 3 o'clock in the morning, let the parents deal with it. Unless they're causing trouble, they don't need to be kicked off the streets.

Until your lazy parents get off their butts and start doing their jobs we will see more laws like this.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
People we're talking about Philly, do you really think some of those kids care about their parents ? I'm being honest, half of those kids come from abusive homes and besides we wonder why the kids riot ?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

What ever happened to trespassing? or vandalism? or public noise ordnance? or Disorderly conduct? etc..You know, getting arrested? When you cause trouble, lets say like these kids might be doing, and when it becomes a crime then you get arrested for the crime. Why make it a problem for kids that haven't done anything wrong. Don't you understand that there is nothing wrong with being outside by yourself a 9:30pm at night or is that against your belief?

If you commit a crime and your caught by the police you get arrested!
edit on 13-8-2011 by Stella Lotus because: Quotes

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

What ever happened to trespassing? or vandalism? or public noise ordnance? or Disorderly conduct? etc..You know, getting arrested? When you cause trouble, lets say like these kids might be doing, and when it becomes a crime then you get arrested for the crime. Why make it a problem for kids that haven't done anything wrong. Don't you understand that there is nothing wrong with being outside by yourself a 9:30pm at night or is that against your belief?

If you actaully read the article, which I doubt; you will see that there is a new curfew. Some of those people in Philly are minding there business, they will be the ones carted home. The ones who aren't doing anything and the ones who are will continue running the street. Nothing will change.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
yep for the most part this will be common because there are parents that just dont care about there kids. there are gangs out there that just dont care. there are homeless people and fiends out there that will do any thing. now when that all gets a good solution, we will not have this problem to worry about. until then curfew and such will be the welcome way of life.

now really thats the truth, and i dont see it changing any time soon. people are content on a daily routine and do not want to stray from it. when they do drift away from the ordinary grind, they feel out of there element. its just this country's way of life

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
People we're talking about Philly, do you really think some of those kids care about their parents ? I'm being honest, half of those kids come from abusive homes and besides we wonder why the kids riot ?

So all the elite need to do is break up enough families, turn every city into a ghetto, and then you will support whatever criminal legislation they pass to control people. I'll let them know.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
This is Nazism, pure and simple. On our own heads be it for
allowing this BS. The only criminals are the criminals calling the shots.
1st world Freedoms my arse.
We are all dumb ignorant goons because we cannot see what is
going down before our very eyes.
The innocent suffer for the guilty.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

If you actaully read the article, which I doubt; you will see that there is a new curfew. Some of those people in Philly are minding there business, they will be the ones carted home. The ones who aren't doing anything and the ones who are will continue running the street. Nothing will change.

Yes I read the article. If YOU not only read but comprehended what you quoted me as saying then you would understand that these problems that do exist can be dealt with without having to have an innocent person "carted away" but sadly that is not the case now. If you are under the age of 18 then you are not allowed out after 9pm. Get in my car, I'm a cop, shut up!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
lots of kids in this thread.

as an adult i have no problem with this.

hell when i was a kid my parents gave me a curfew, and because of it i wasnt out all night drinking and doing stupid crap i didnt need to be doing. my friends who didnt have to go home at night, all ended up really messed up, pregnant, living in trailer parks, paralyzed from the waist down, or dead. i graduated college, they had 5 kids before they were 25.

lol, honestly. if you think freedom equals the freedom to be an out of control moron when youre young, well i just have to disagree. this freedom didnt even exist back in the day, its just some new liberal experiment that failed.

when the sun goes down, why not actually go someplace? like a friends house or something? or some place the cops wont find you? thats what all the kids did when society cared about how they turned out.

my advice would be to get used to it, soon youll be an adult like me and it wont matter anymore.

edit on 13-8-2011 by BohemianBrim because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by BohemianBrim

hell when i was a kid my parents gave me a curfew, and because of it i wasnt out all night drinking and doing stupid crap i didnt need to be doing. my friends who didnt have to go home at night, all ended up really messed up, pregnant, living in trailer parks, paralyzed from the waist down, or dead. i graduated college, they had 5 kids before they were 25.

lol, honestly. if you think freedom equals the freedom to be an out of control moron when youre young, well i just have to disagree. this freedom didnt even exist back in the day, its just some new liberal experiment that failed.

when the sun goes down, why not actually go someplace? like a friends house or something? or some place the cops wont find you? thats what all the kids did when society cared about how they turned out.

my advice would be to get used to it, soon youll be an adult like me and it wont matter anymore.

The problem is the older kids that are supporting their siblings financially. Everybody does(or did for past tense) not live like you, what about those 18 year olds with night jobs that need to support their little brothers and sisters, because mummy and daddy aren't around ? I guess the family doesn't matter, that is why Philly is so f**ked up now.

I don't even live in Philly but I've heard nightmare stories from the blacks and the whites, if you weren't born lucky you have nothing.
edit on 13-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I can see both sides to this argument. It's a shame we have to institute curfews on teens, but at the same time teen and gang violence is increasing.

- "Every two hours in America today a child dies of a gunshot wound." (Kids Count Data Book, 14). - "The Teen Violent Death rate was 69 per 100,000 teens in 1993 and increased 10 percent between 1985 and 1993." (Kids Count Data Book, 14). - "During 1994, about one-fifth (19.4 percent) of everyone arrested for a violent crime was under age 18." (Kids Count Data Book, 15). - "The Juvenile Violent Crime Arrest Rate increased [66 percent] from 305 per 100,000 in 1985 to 506 per 100,000 in 1993." (Kids Count Data Book, 15).

www.wright-house.com...

Many parents today are absent or lack parent involvement in their kids lives. My generation never had curfews, but the majority of parents enforced their own curfews on their kids. Heck, my high school curfew was 9pm during the week and 12am on weekends. If I arrived home 5 minutes after 12am on weekends I would be faced with 1 week of being grounded and or a good smack with a broom stick on my butt!
I was expected to be in bed during school nights at 10pm.!

Teens really don't have any business being on the streets during the week later than 10pm during school days. A lot of kids are sleeping in class because they've been up all night playing video games or out in the early morning hours hanging with their friends.

Teenage kids are sleeping over friends houses (or tell their parents they are, but end up walking the streets or going to a party somewhere else). Things have really changed and parents are allowing kids to much control over their early years. They lack discipline and moral responsibility, and the increase in statistics clearly show this.

If teen violence, vandalism, graffiti, and criminal mischief wouldn't be so out of control today, curfews wouldn't even be discussed. Unfortunately, disciplined and innocent teens have to pay the price for the segment of the teen population that continues to use the cover of night to become violent.

Anything in excess has consequences even with adults. If we want to live in a safe society where you can walk down the streets at night, laws have to be created to keep violence from escalating.

Until Kids stop having kids, parents start taking more responsibility in raising their kids, and young women and men stop having numerous children out of wedlock, we will continue to see our government taking the responsibility of disciplining teens.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

im fairly positive they wont arrest anyone for having a job.

but thats a good illustration for my point. kids dont have much common sense.

trust me, you dont always realize whats best for you.

(hormones)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

They riot because they're racist and believe they're entitled to whatever they want. Well, the flash mobs here in philly anyway. Its purely race-based. Groups of 50+ black kids go around wrecking stores, beating up white people purely based on their race, and people here say the police are doing the wrong thing? Nah. Apparently you don't live here. They're doing these kids a favor because soon, if they continue, someone's going to wind up dead. I would certainly fear for my life if 50 kids tried to jump, beat me up and rob me. I'd fear for the lives of those around me as well.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by BohemianBrim

Yea us parents understand a teens young, careless developing mind. It's not the cops job to take care out kids, it's the parents. Freedom means you can walk outside whenever you want.

I hope your not a parent and i KNOW you're not American from some of your comments, ha

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by BohemianBrim

With all due respect, the thread has nothing to do with the notion that freedom equals the freedom to be an out of control ass but I can see how you would twist that in. ;^) It's so easy to. Plus it makes for a great debate.

By the way you are free to make an ass out of your self. You know that right? You do realize that you were born with that reality.

To try and make other members feel unimportant by declaring that there must be kids here as if there voice is not valid is lame in my book.

What if there are kids here?

So let me get this straight.... You are saying, because freedom has now allowed kids to be morons, freedom should now be taken away...just a little bit right? Just a little here and there.

Or is it about right and wrong? Well we know it's really the parents job, right?..But we also realize that that's not working out so well right?..so. We can probably brain storm some ideas..ie .enforce laws that exist, social programs..etc. You see I'm all about getting trouble off the street but to punish innocent people is much more...moronic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join