It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Most Volatile Market Since Lehman' + Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Most Volatile Market Since Lehman

Has the volatility this week provided nightmares and flashbacks of the Fall in 2008? It may not just be your imagination.

This week saw immense point swings, with the Dow posting 2 of its biggest point gains ever (10th biggest on Tuesday and 11th largest on Thursday) and 2 of its worst point declines ever (6th worst on Monday and 9th worst on Wednesday).

The rollercoaster week isn’t unprecedented though. Remember this week’s twin sister? That’s the week of September 15, 2008, the week of Lehman Brothers’ bankruptcy, when the Dow saw 4 point moves of over 350 points.

Okay so the most volatile week of trading in 2008 coincided withLehman Brothers filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on 15 September, "following the massive exodus of most of its clients, drastic losses in its stock, and devaluation of its assets by credit rating agencies."

Does anyone know if the current volatility has also coincided with huge problems with any banks? I know the Bank of America has been making some headlines in the news in recent days. Just wondering if there is possible connection between the volatility this past week and another soon-to-be bankrupt bank.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
If mark to myth is stopped and banks actually have to value their assets mark to market, the game is over.
That is why there is so much speculation and fear which make for a volatile market.
The financial system has been blown up with mortgage fraud, but we pretend that everything is fine.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

... Does anyone know if the current volatility has also coincided with huge problems with any banks? I know the Bank of America has been making some headlines in the news in recent days. Just wondering if there is possible connection between the volatility this past week and another soon-to-be bankrupt bank. ...

i think the swings in the market was centered on bigger things than Bank-of-Amerika...

there is a idea out there that the market behaved on concers with the EU and the EURO itself....
the eventual demise of the EUro-zone of today...and possibly that Germany would pull out and reissue the Deutsch Mark as legal tender.

BAC & its CountryWide poison are just frosting on the cake in comparison...

the initial plunge was related to the European Status Quo.... but the PPT (plunge protection team)
and a host of HFT (high frequency trading) programs took the problem and engineered such uncertainty that a disorderly/near panic was created...
the idea of creating the flip-flop +400 point swigs during the week was supposed to weaken the Euros' value...Also to create a problem-solution situation here in the USA... to hopefully create a 'dark' QE3 need
which will be promoted as the solution to the hyper volitility & market swings, which destroy vast ammounts of wealth in a day or a string of days.

next: seizing of IRAs & 401Ks... the newly established Super Congress expanding it's role to be a type of Central Planning Committee (as in a China Model... which i quietly warned of in some earlier reply posts i've made here on ATS )

enjoy it while u can i say

join