It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Playing God?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I came across and wanted to share this video with you guys. I definitely found it interesting . Scientists these days are trying to play God, imo. I am thankful for a lot of the scientific advances on a lot of things, and I am amazed at it all but what they can do now, well, there needs to be a line drawn somewhere.

They are messing around with synthetic cells , and have created a new form of life that has never existed before. I will let them explain it, they will do a better job but they have taken some bacteria , extracted its genetic material from it and replaced it with manmade DNA to produce a new species of life.. Their aim is to use this for biofuels, possibly new vaccines, etc. or so they say. Synthetic life for all of this?!... Are their motives pure in trying to help or do they have other things in mind? They can grow these in less than 24 hours.

It sounds promising, like it would be beneficial, etc. but I think It's getting rather scary, folks. What if something gets unleashed or out of hand somewhere? And they end up creating a type of Frankenstein lol... I do believe things have gotten out of hand in the past. Right?

Anywho, to make a long story short, I think they need to quit trying to play God! One never knows how they may screw it up. Somewhere down the line, imo, there will be some ill consequence from this science.
Just think about it. What if everybody wanted to play God? Boy , we'd really be in a mess.

I just think a line needs to be drawn somewhere but that somewhere, I wouldn't know where to actually start.... way before here I would think.

Please feel free to comment.

edit on 13-8-2011 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
What if god does not exist, then what are they playing?

What if god does exist, why did he or she give humans the ability to understand and manipulate DNA?

Maybe if god did exist at one time...he or she was playing god.
edit on 13-8-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
aliens played god for thousands of years to primitive man.

why not allow some human scientists to take a shot at it?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

Oh goodie more GMO food ingredients!

That makes me hungry for some odd reason.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ray1850
Its our turn now!!!

Umm sorry but I would rather humans not get to play God.

Look at much we have f'ed things up just playing as humans.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
They are just manipulating life that already exists the same way they already do any number of ways. Playing God would be creating life out of nothing.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasterGemini
Umm sorry but I would rather humans not get to play God.

But God, by the very definition, has made everything is everywhere and involved in creating everything.

You ask that humans not make anything, be anywhere or create anything at all?

Or where exactly do you draw this arbitrary line, and how do you justify THAT being the exact specific line to not cross?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ray1850
Seeker, I honestly feel sorry for you

Oh really? I feel nothing for you
JK
Thanks for adding to the thread.
Seriously, the only folk I feel sorry for are those that are lost withOUT God.

Playing God ranks up there with that so...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
If God exists, which I believe, then it matters not the scientific affairs of humans. If someone is stepping over the boundary, he'll let it be known.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior
If someone is stepping over the boundary, he'll let it be known.

That I can agree upon. He will definitely make it known TO that person and maybe those closest to him can see the consequences. Also He will impress upon our spirit as to what is right and wrong. And I think they overstep their bounds at times.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I recall the story of Babel, that fabled tower which man strove to build in a time of a golden age, where there was one language. Imagine how technologically advanced mankind could have became in that day, if the languages were not confused!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior

I recall the story of Babel, that fabled tower which man strove to build in a time of a golden age, where there was one language. Imagine how technologically advanced mankind could have became in that day, if the languages were not confused!

Yeah, I remember too. Thanks for your reply.
Too, remember King Solomon was very wise and they all used to live a whole lot longer than we do. I can imagine that they were even wiser because of that long lifespan. I believe it possible too, that they were more technologically advanced than us and somewhere along the line lost the technology ..

I recall reading someone's discovery of some type computer that was found in a hollow tree and many other things that can't be explained. So maybe they were really advanced and lost the tech and we are but slowly getting back to that point. I hope we don't end up confused again. Have mercy dear Lord is what I pray...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
What is god?

A creator, we have been creating since we picked up the first tool.
The unknown, we have been learning since our first neurons evolved.
The universe, we have a very long way to go to understand and create such power.

The language of DNA is a language of life, complex, ethical and powerful. We need to approach this out in the open where the common sense helps guides through all the risks, threats and dangers. It is when scientists cannot be honest and have to hide what they are doing than I start to get concerned.
edit on 13-8-2011 by kwakakev because: spelling 'then'

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
The language of DNA is a language of life, complex, ethical and powerful. We need to approach this out in the open where the common sense helps guides through all the risks, threats and dangers. It is when scientists cannot be honest and have to hide what they are doing that I start to get concerned.

Very well stated. I totally agree with you.

Yeah they shouldn't be hiding anything. I'm also concerned about a lot of them being killed off, or so it seems, and for other reasons.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I believe God is biding His time and waiting for when His people are martyred by the world and He's no longer welcome. Then He'll lay the smackdown and go all Old Testament on humanity.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I think the term "playing God" is overused these days. If you do believe in God, you likely believe that God is perfect in every way and created the world for a specific purpose. Therefore, anything that can be done within the limits of His creation is fair game and not "playing Him" so to speak.

Does this mean we should mess around, carelessly and recklessly, with our advancements in technology just because we can? No, a line should be drawn - but for the right reasons like logic and common sense, not fear of offending or angering a God that gave us Free Will.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The idea of "god's gonna getcha!" is a western one. It acts to restrict how much you should learn and how much freedom you can have. It guilt trips you into the idea that you should only learn just THIS much about things and then you should put away your tools and go compose hymns or something if you feel a bout of science coming over you.

In China and all, anyone could be elevated to the level of a god and the gods wouldn't strike them dead or punish civilization. So we see a lot of new and interesting robotics ideas and other ideas from these countries because they're not being scared off by that old saying.

The way it's put, though, anyone who did something other than poke their nose out of a cave and fling a rock at something is "playing god" and is going to be struck by lightning or earthquakes.

I don't buy it. And I don't think this is evil. I think it has a lot of potential.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Indellkoffer

I don't buy it. And I don't think this is evil. I think it has a lot of potential.

It has every evil potential imo. It all depends on who's hands it is in. There are Frankenstein types in this world, you know?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join