It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

He Preached His Own Funeral Sermon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Samuel Davies: Apostle of Virginia

The life of Samuel Davies was remarkable in many respects. For one thing, he may be said to have preached his own funeral sermon when he was only thirty-seven. The occasion was a service in the chapel of the College of New Jersey at Princeton on New Year's Day, 1761, and his text, Jeremiah 28.16, 'This year thou shalt die'. The sermon was designed to alarm the careless and unconverted among the students. In that sermon Davies said: 'And it is not only possible, but highly probable, death may meet some of us within the compass of this year. Perhaps I may die this year'. He concluded: 'It is of little importance to me whether I die this year, or not; but the only important point is, that I make a good use of my future time, whether it be longer or shorter'. The preacher died one month later on February 4th.

Seems he knew a storm was a brewin' along the dangerous coronary passage...

Samuel Davies

Davies was President of Princeton, and lived a fulfilling life.

Despite his relatively short life, Davies accomplished much and lived the creed to which he exhorted the Princeton Class of 1760 in his baccalaureate address and which has been echoed by the presidents of Princeton throughout its history: "Whatever be your place, imbibe and cherish a public spirit. Serve your generation."

Yet despite his numerous contributions to society he will always be remebered for his words, three days before his death - get into the video - it is interesting once it gets rolling - and ponder our existence, our brief existence and how soon it will all be over.

Sammy D

Be thankful for those who you love and whom love you...

ColoradoJens

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

I find it interesting that not 1 minute after I posted this it was moved from general conspiracy...ok, I guess he didn't preach his own funeral. I am on some kind of double secret probation that is very juvenile. Explain and be adults.

CJ

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Not a single glance? Thought it was interesting. Some win, some lose.

CJ

join