It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police officer seeks criminal charges against woman who videotaped police beating

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
So this is it. Video tape some police officers beating the crap out of someone and breaking their bones, and you too will be charged with a crime. Has America reached an all-time low? :shk:

A police officer from Springfield, Massachusetts has filed an application for a criminal complaint against a woman who recorded his fellow officer beating a black suspect while he stood by, according to The Republican.

In November 2009, Tyrisha Greene made a 20-minute recording of now-retired Springfield patrolman Jeffrey M. Asher repeatedly beating Melvin Jones III with a flashlight during a traffic stop. The recording shows a group of other officers standing around Jones without intervening.

Jones was partially blinded in one eye from the attack, and had bones all over his face broken. The officers claimed that Jones grabbed one of their guns as they tried to arrest him and that Asher struck Jones with his flashlight in order to "disorientate him."

But a grand jury rejected that claim, finding no evidence that Jones behaved aggressively towards them.

For the rest of the story see:
www.rawstory.com...

It isn't enough that the police can beat or kill whoever they want with near impunity. It isn't enough that some continually abuse the public trust and will shoot you for looking at them wrong. Oh no. They want to be able to do it with the additional threat that if you catch them and tell- you'll go to jail. Nice, huh?

[snip]

edit on 13-8-2011 by Asktheanimals because: staff edit

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

It isn't enough that the police can beat or kill whoever they want with near impunity. It isn't enough that some continually abuse the public trust and will shoot you for looking at them wrong. Oh no. They want to be able to do it with the additional threat that if you catch them and tell- you'll go to jail. Nice, huh?

They? One officer, Michael Sedergren, has decided to file charges against the woman videotaping.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
If cops don't want to be embarrassed on film, they shouldn't do embarrassing acts. Being filmed in public = what happens to every person in america when they go to any store, bank, or get in front of a police cruiser. Being filmed in public is simply a fact of modern life. Of course it could be argued that consent is given by entering such facilities but Cops, while on duty have already given consent to be filmed by the simple act of being an "at will" employee of the people.

Does a gas station clerk give permission to be filmed by their employer? NOPE. Why should a police officer have to give consent to be filmed by their employer?

This whole situation would be laughable if a guy didn't go blind because this policy officer did nothing to protect this citizens rights and this poor woman who filmed it wasn't being harassed by Sedergren on a bogus charge.

lol, "Sedergren claims Greene violated the state's wiretapping laws by recording him without his consent."

Sedergren gave consent to be filmed by the public when he put on his uniform and began working FOR the public.

Wire tapping? Was the camcorder plugged in? lol... Sounds like sour grapes to me.

edit on 12-8-2011 by sageofmonticello because: ETA through out

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
He is grasping at straws cause he was busted beating this guy. These kind of charges have been thrown out of court alot. Discusting attempt by the cop.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I've always maintained that keeping a low profile when filming cops is the best course of action; even when filming heroic acts of LEOs because there are many; but just to be safe, because you never know when things can go very wrong, hang back use your zoom and stay as invisible as you can...

iphone users...don't be obvious and stay safe.

These are rules I think all gonzo filmmakers should follow; for your own protection and also to GET THE GREAT FOOTAGE.

New Media will change the world 30fps.
edit on 12-8-2011 by whaaa because: I love you Judith

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Pity this cop can't be charged with attempting to conceal the truth.

As many say, if you're doing the right thing, you should have no problem with cameras. That should apply to police too.

When cops have a problem being filmed, it's because they intend to break the law.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Pathetic wimp! I am not one for street war but as said FFS! I am still haunted by the image of the mentally handicapped man who cried for his ¨Daddy¨ as cops beat him to death in a thread I posted
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I also notice the apologists have largely shut up as they are realizing they only fuel the fire at this point. It is blatant and obvious it is NOT a few bad apples it is a whole system out of control and making no apologies.
seed

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Im a big NBA fan, namely Chicago Bulls fan. Recently on a site for Bulls fans I brought up how Illinois was one of the first states to make it a felony to record an on duty police officer. My fellow Illinoisians tried to make me seem like a fool for suggesting such a thing inspite of the numerous links I gave confirming it.

No way the SCOTUS would let that happen they claimed... sheeple, if only they got there news from places other than television. I doubt even 25% are aware that laws like this are sweeping the nation.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Be careful...

www.policeone.com...

watch out for the LEO call that filming police is subversive and unpatriotic. BS!

Technology has ushered in a new freedom; a new opportunity for the spreading of truth to end corruption and brutality in the name of "keeping the Peace"

Question authority...document abuse... and learn how to use that video app. to upload your stuff immediately before they can trash your camera or phone because they will and when they do they will just say OOps, sorry!

get one of these and conceal it in a backpack...

gopro.com...

Video your life, your world.....we want to see it.
edit on 13-8-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
New Media will change the world 30fps.

I thought new media was changing the world at 60 fps?

Even though you can't hardly edit it yet....

Anyway, yeah. To file charges against someone videotaping you as a public servant on duty... When you are illegally beating the bejesus out of someone... :shk:

Cowardly. Totalitarian. Nazi. Amerikan.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Has anyone bothered to see if there is a law about this? You can yell for snipers all day but if there is a law and this individual broke it than the police officer has a right to file charges.

Complaing on a website won't change that fact in a court so if it bothers you than move to the State and petition to have the law changed.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
They should get video tape of a mob beating him within inches of his life, then the mob can sue him for being an arrogant prick

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

what are you trying to argue here?

That we need to protect a corrupt peace officer's right to beat and or kill "suspects" with impunity?

Should the same rules apply in public as in prison; that you must suffer the abuse of your "keepers" and only complain after they are finished abusing you?

I am not trying to troll, I am just astonished that you seem to be implying that a cop's right to do whatever he/she wants to a "suspect" trumps the public's right to not be beaten or to assist their fellow citizen by videotaping the police beating him.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Yeah I've checked it. It means you cannot secretly record audio of people. This has been to court and has been thrown out tons of times already.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
the next time you see a police officer beating someone that has committed no crime record it and make a citizens arrest people have to stand up for this crap if we dont stop these officers from doing this than it will just get worse

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
how about this. when i see a police officer bludgeoning a citizen beyond what may be deemed necessary for submission, i will take it upon myself to help the citizen. no more video tapes, no more police caused man to slip into a comma from blunt trauma, no more senseless deaths. nope. now it will be, chicago man charged with helping man being beaten by cop. the cop is not expected to recover.( well in MY perfect world the press would run that headline)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Maybe the copper was out of mace??? OOPS this almost was a one line response which is forbidden I think. There i made it to two lines bye...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

A police officer from Springfield, Massachusetts has filed an application for a criminal complaint against a woman who recorded his fellow officer beating a black suspect while he stood by, according to The Republican. In November 2009, Tyrisha Greene made a 20-minute recording of now-retired Springfield patrolman Jeffrey M. Asher repeatedly beating Melvin Jones III with a flashlight during a traffic stop. The recording shows a group of other officers standing around Jones without intervening.

it's not the psycho-cop who is pressing charges, but one of his accomplices/enablers.

guess he doesn't like being outed as a coward, moral or otherwise.
S&F
back in 1970's Harlem, bricks and cinder blocks would mysteriously fall off rooftops. the funny thing is they would usually fall on "ossifers" such as mr. Asher.
edit on 13-8-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Has anyone bothered to see if there is a law about this? You can yell for snipers all day but if there is a law and this individual broke it than the police officer has a right to file charges.

Complaing on a website won't change that fact in a court so if it bothers you than move to the State and petition to have the law changed.

LMAO! you sir are one of the most transparent shills I have yet crossed paths with to date. You pop in and defend the indefensible with short bits of nothing with substance.
As he was AN ACCOMPLICE TO THE ACT he should be arse deep in an I/A investigation not a monetary pursuit of a private citizen. Oh yeah he needs to pay his expensive attorney to try and get him off, why not?
Amazing what some will find to defend for pay.....
seed

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mnemicrsl
how about this. when i see a police officer bludgeoning a citizen beyond what may be deemed necessary for submission, i will take it upon myself to help the citizen. no more video tapes, no more police caused man to slip into a comma from blunt trauma, no more senseless deaths. nope. now it will be, chicago man charged with helping man being beaten by cop. the cop is not expected to recover.( well in MY perfect world the press would run that headline)

I bear some permanent wounds from that attitude in general and were I too see this occur it would be one down for keep and another broken before I was toe tagged, that is guaranteed and not talk. As I have NO criminal record and am a respectable father and husband it would be a chore to villify me. As I do not fear my old friend death they hold no power over my being and will work to get my body but not before I stop ,even for a moment, such as this.
seed

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join