It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

First animal with artificial DNA: A worm that glows cherry red!

page: 1
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I heard this on the news this morning, and haven't found it on ATS yet.
Debates have been raging about the benefits and dangers of synthetic life since last year's synthetic copy of an Ecoli virus under the J.Craig Venter Institute. Benefits may include new vaccines, and dangers new forms of bio-terrorism.

A Cambridge team has now for the first time created a whole multi-celled organism with artificial DNA, a nematode worm that glows red under ultra violet light!
Despite the novelty I'm unsure for now what the benefits or dangers could be.
Looks like some potential nifty new pets, or eventually a new ridiculous craze for body modifiers?
What do fellow ATSers think?
Is it interfering in creation, and will such creatures eventually spread their artificial genes into the wild, and therefore raise similar concerns as GM crops?

The next step seems to be to alter the worm's brain in order to get them to flash.
More ominous sounding is the idea that this will give scientists the ability to control every molecule in an organism's body.
So is this new "Synthia" advancement a reason to party and bring out the UV lights and some trance music, or is it another reason for concern about the gradual replacement of the human with the "Inhuman"?


Researchers say they have created the first ever animal with artificial information in its genetic code.

The technique, they say, could give biologists "atom-by-atom control" over the molecules in living organisms.

One expert the BBC spoke to agrees, saying the technique would be seized upon by "the entire biology community".

The work by a Cambridge team, which used nematode worms, appears in the Journal of the American Chemical Society.

The worms - from the species Caenorhabditis elegans - are 1mm long,

www.bbc.co.uk...

PS. For a recap of 2010's groundbreaking work by Dr. Craig Venter and his computer designed "first artificial species" that was made from from scratch and began replicating:
www.nowpublic.com...
edit on 12-8-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)




posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The little boy in me says "cool that's kinda awesome"... the mature man with discernment says "this isn't going to end well"



posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Cherry red worms?

Gummi worms!!


Yeah, this isn't going to end well.



posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Heh well they are nematodes. Some nematodes are really bad and that one there is a transparent roundworm found in soil. (I believe) It may not be a bad idea to be able to color coat those suckers, especially if they and or others are microscopic (which some are) or rather small for identification purposes.
edit on 12-8-2011 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
big deal they have glow in the dark beagles too...



posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman
 


The flowers four-o'clock and portulacas are just 2 examples of living organisms which contain a naturally occuring DNA string which does exactly the same thing when exposed to ultra-violet light. Some insects helpful with pollination are able to see this and are attracted to the flowers.

Nature in action.

To take something not found in natural DNA and put it into the "mix" of an organisms DNA just sounds like playing russian roulette to me.

Un-natural at least.

While they are really cool to look at now, (replace the worm in tequilla with a few hundred of these and break out the black-light...lol) the x-th generation of these things might be able to eat the bottle.



posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim
 

Yeah, and here in SA lots of people have 15 centimeter nematodes living in their tummies!
They say a few are healthy - they keep the immune system busy, since we evolved with them, and eradicating them can cause asthma and autoimmune disease. Still, having them crawl out your nose or mouth isn't too much fun. So making them glow could catch a major infestation in an ultra-violet toilet, and it could help people on "intestinal worm therapy" to control their numbers.

But let's consider that the red dye DNA is just a marker for now, and this research is not going to stay with nematodes.
Where could this lead?
Could dissidents be injected with artificial molecules that could feign a death from a natural disease like cancer (as has long been suspected with Bob Marley, for example - the infamous "umbrella-injection" jab in the toe)? Perhaps that was conspiracy fiction, but it may become a real possibility.
What about improved parasites and bio-weapons?
If one changes one thing, couldn't one inadvertently change another?


edit on 12-8-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Then, what about the role of computers in Synthia?
Can they be trusted, and are they dependable?
It's using one form of what the postmodern theorist Lyotard called the "Inhuman" to create other forms of almost cyborg type artificial life-forms.
Perhaps not for now while it seems all cute, but where is this heading?
No offense to the man, but Dr. Venter reminds me of the old Professor from Jurassic Park.

Dye has been injected into cells before, but not as a markers for new DNA, and essentially a whole new creature!
So maybe because we have been prepared in a subtle way to accept this, we don't realize the gravity of what's been done.
I mean it's just dye.
No it's not, it's artificial genes!



posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman
 


Excellent find. S&F for you. Me, I'm much more worried about nature's response - assimilation of artificial crap, adaptation, evolution - than bioterrorism. Both potentials do suck of course...



posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by Nephalim
 

Yeah, and here in SA lots of people have 15 centimeter nematodes living in their tummies!
They say a few are healthy - they keep the immune system busy, since we evolved with them, and eradicating them can cause asthma and autoimmune disease. Still, having them crawl out your nose or mouth isn't too much fun. So making them glow could catch a major infestation in an ultra-violet toilet, and it could help people on "intestinal worm therapy" to control their numbers.

But let's consider that the red dye DNA is just a marker for now, and this research is not going to stay with nematodes.
Where could this lead?
Could dissidents be injected with artificial molecules that could feign a death from a natural disease like cancer (as has long been suspected with Bob Marley, for example - the infamous "umbrella-injection" jab in the toe)? Perhaps that was conspiracy fiction, but it may become a real possibility.
What about improved parasites and bio-weapons?
If one changes one thing, couldn't one inadvertently change another?


Heh, I guess that would depend on what a lab is trying to do, which would in theory reveal ones motives.
. I was simply talking easier identification. People for example wouldn't require biological tags so much as the animal kingdom would for instance. We have Id's


For your sanities sake.. hehe-
I think that your probably over-thinking the possibility of someone being injected with some foreign object, molecular or otherwise due to some ?unorthodox? belief or set of values, possibly because you may or may not be someone who fits the conspiracy theorist or ?dissident? profile? As a consequence of who you are, or may be. lol, I think we're all probably safe though. Criminals on the other hand.. no no I kidd.

On the note of bio weapons, well, you always have to consider that changing dna/bodily make-up may result in a consequence toward the host itself over a mass infection/injection/spread/contamination for example. IE the molecule may just kill the host and that's that. So consider the dose and how effective it has to be. But dye isn't going to kill millions of people, let alone the worm.
generally you dont find that anyone would want to create something like a parasite that for instance , ok like a "super nematode" and then put it in someone. That's not what a sane person would want. .

Some evil indie genius (Dr.Evil) maybe but no.


It's good to question things though in the what if sense.

edit on 12-8-2011 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
next us... after more animal tests
this sounds like 'the mark' play with your dna, something the devil would do



posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by P-M-H
next us... after more animal tests
this sounds like 'the mark' play with your dna, something the devil would do


Yes, Yes! Everyone prepare to be dyed blue! The deBIL is hearz!

Interesting.Don't tattoo shops do that? damn... I'm screwed now.



posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
one step closer to type 1 civilization...no body can stop it really



posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim
 


For your sanities sake.. hehe-
I think that your probably over-thinking the possibility of someone being injected with some foreign object, molecular or otherwise due to some ?unorthodox? belief or set of values, possibly because you may or may not be someone who fits the conspiracy theorist or ?dissident? profile? As a consequence of who you are, or may be. lol, I think we're all probably safe though. Criminals on the other hand.. no no I kidd.


Good points, but historically and currently many countries still inject dissidents with bullets, and send the bill to their families!
But that's so darn blatant.
Why not something more subtle, like a disease?
OK we had Aids, but that takes so long, spreads erratically, and that's now a money-spinner.
But we also can't have something too airborne which might just kill the killers.
We need something to control the "useless eaters" (sarcasm) and Marxist governments like Zimbabwe and SA, instituted under the pretense of "freedom" and "democracy", take too long to make genocide look accidental and acceptable (although Mugabe has done so very well).
I think they are looking for controlled diseases and parasites, that can be totally contained at will and look natural.

At least the humble nematode (actually an aggressive predator in some cases) has for now been uplifted in status, from pedestrian to "groovy".



posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I would also then gather that any animal with an artificial gene belongs to a company!

So, let a few escape and breed with our pets, our livestock and our conservation animals.

Presto - the next generation BELONGS to the corporation!
They share part of the artificial DNA, and therefore the company's patent.

Do I think it's coming?
I think it's a promise.




posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nephalim

Originally posted by P-M-H
next us... after more animal tests
this sounds like 'the mark' play with your dna, something the devil would do


Yes, Yes! Everyone prepare to be dyed blue! The deBIL is hearz!

Interesting.Don't tattoo shops do that? damn... I'm screwed now.

wow uhh tattoo shops do not # with your dna and make you GLOW .



posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by Nephalim
 


For your sanities sake.. hehe-
I think that your probably over-thinking the possibility of someone being injected with some foreign object, molecular or otherwise due to some ?unorthodox? belief or set of values, possibly because you may or may not be someone who fits the conspiracy theorist or ?dissident? profile? As a consequence of who you are, or may be. lol, I think we're all probably safe though. Criminals on the other hand.. no no I kidd.


Good points, but historically and currently many countries still inject dissidents with bullets, and send the bill to their families!
But that's so darn blatant.
Why not something more subtle, like a disease?
OK we had Aids, but that takes so long, spreads erratically, and that's now a money-spinner.
But we also can't have something too airborne which might just kill the killers.
We need something to control the "useless eaters" (sarcasm) and Marxist governments like Zimbabwe and SA, instituted under the pretense of "freedom" and "democracy", take too long to make genocide look accidental and acceptable (although Mugabe has done so very well).
I think they are looking for controlled diseases and parasites, that can be totally contained at will and look natural.

At least the humble nematode (actually an aggressive predator in some cases) has for now been uplifted in status, from pedestrian to "groovy".



If your going to look at it like that, you need not go any further than dehydration/starvation. You also have to keep in mind that anything of that sort can have dire consequences. For instance, Somalia which is currently in desperate need of humanitarian assistance. You don't want people dying off in the masses over there. bad things come of that amount of death which could possibly negatively effect surrounding countries. Not to mention the fact that people are dying which is bad in itself. So again, you dont want to go, in that case for example and inject a bunch of hungry people with something that will only further any nutritional deficiencies.

You'd want to stabilize the issue. On that note, it would probably be a better idea to invest in parasite eradication over people eradication. In which case, some sort of nano that eats the nematode and passes safely out of the body would be a far better solution than colorful genetic markers.



posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman
 


Is it the first? How about the "glowing beagles"?



I don't know the timeline, but intersting nonetheless. Thanks!

CJ



posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim
 

If I understand you correctly:
- Dehydration and starvation - slow and messy, and this could affect the ruling elite too, if all food and running water is gone. Not a neatly contained scenario to lower certain populations.
- Somalia: they have regional starvation, no health care and a cholera pandemic coupled with an Islamic regime that won't allow direct aid. A good scene for genocide. However, the coastline and borders are corrupt and porous, which means that thousands of Somalis are simply fleeing and taking their large families elsewhere.
Like our town in SA for example, which now has 20, 000 Somalis, and the former lovely central business district now looks like Mogadishu.
Not very effective.
Better to have some parasite that can be activated and de-actived at will.
Something that appears medical but can be switched on and off like a machine.
That would have been Kissinger's wet dream when he spoke about population control.



posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow
 


Like I posted above, I think the Korean Glow in the Dark Beagles beat the worms to the punch. It is good to know how many scientists are trying to make animals glow. Very important work.

CJ



new topics

top topics



 
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join