It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone help with Disc Drive Problems?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I have tried about, 3 different Disc Drives, that are all DVD+RW compatible, and i cannot burn onto a DVD RW disc. I have no idea what the problem is. I have updated drivers, even tried different IDE connections. Does it work? No.
When I insert the DVD RW, it gets recognized as a CD RW... I havent tried any burning software, ive just tried burning with Windows XP. Soo.. any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLife

Have you tried a different brand of DVD? that is usually a good place to start with this sort of thing the off brands are really bad

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLife

You definitely should give some third party software a try as the built in software just dosent cut it. There should be some free open source alternatives as well.
I sadly cannot recommend any specific burning software since I run linux.
edit on 12-8-2011 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
It reads other DVDs, but the only kind I have to try to burn are Memorex. I ran a program called: Mircosoft Fixit, from the Microsoft website, and i got a rather large amount of errors..
Class filter drivers are corruptClass filter drivers are corrupt
Device filter drivers are corrupt
One or more device-specific filter drivers are missing/corrupt
Device is not working properly
This device is experiencing a problem that is preventing it from working
properly
Drive is disabled
The CD/DVD drive have been disabled in Device ManagerChecked
Drive is not assigned a drive letter
The CD/DVD drive is not accessible via an assigned drive letter
Media in CD/DVD drive is not writable
CD/DVD drive is not writable
he drive is empty or the media format is not writable

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
have you tried getting the latest drivers for your dvd writer?

sometimes they're pants 'out of the box' and need updating straight away...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Yea, installed the latest driver from the Dell website. I may just have to try to get the other ones to work... This is just crazy,

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
try something like magic cd (www.binarymagics.com...), or poweriso. ive never had problems with either of those

edit: nvm just saw your errors.. have you tried uninstalling the drivers completely and let windows install them automatically? or you might want to poke around in Computer Management -> Disk Management and see if everything there looks ok
edit on 12-8-2011 by MurrayTORONTO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Model number of the computer would help plus the OS version

check the disc it may not be supported or is flawed ie finger prints or tiny scratches
go to device manager uninstall all dvd cd roms then reboot.
if not found you most likely have a failed drive

www.buzzle.com...
www.softwarepatch.com...

.re-install your drivers for your chip set (motherboard)
Then reboot twice see if the drives are found(with the dvd or cd drives empty, if not look for bios updates specific to your motherboard or DVD

edit on 12-8-2011 by The Utopian Penguin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Greetings: I have had considerable experience in what you are doing. First: It most likely is not a hardware conflict.
if you have tired more than one different model of dvd burner it seems illogical for that to be the case.
Second. Software is nearly always the culprit if you have new hardware. If your system is stable. and the issue happens only when burning then most likely it is windows xp burn software. I tried it more than once and it failed for me often. Spend a few extra bucks and get Nero: It will recognize nearly all hardware, it upgrades to new hardware when installed and rarely fails. I use windows movie maker for videos and slide shows as well as Adobe Elements, but I never ever burn with Microsoft software. Others may have had good luck with it, but I have not..nearly every burn failed. After loading Nero which costs about 40 bucks, I have used the old program for more than 8 years now and it has never failed me. I use Adobe audition for audio, and after making the audio video files I burn them in nero.
It just always works and recognizes all my hardware. There are some free software are the net. Many work. You just have to experiment. Once I make my CDs and DVDs I go to a DVD Duplicator which burns 3 CDs on the fly every 4 minutes. I have a Christian Ministry (please no diatribes) and have burned more than 18,000 DVDs and CDs in my little 8x10 room. Many bibles in mp3 etc. so if you want to fix the problem..get some software that works. OEM microsoft burning software generally at best is unworthy

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

Requires UDF packet-writing software. Separate, special software for formatting/writing rewritable discs. I'd look it up for you, but it's not hard. Google "rewritable packet software."

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I would just like to say thank you to all whom contributed and tried to help me with this problem. I guess Windows XP decided, no it didnt want to burn DVD RW; but i can burn using Nero. Silly Windows..
But uh, yea, thanks again to you all helpful people. It was much appreciated.

top topics

join