It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Wildest Tries to Contact Aliens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I knew about some of the ways we have tried to make contact with extraterrestrials, like te Arecibo message, the Pioneer and the Voyager records. But some of the other ways on this list I have never heard of, especially the Dorito's message.

Let me know what you guys think

www.technewsdaily.com...
edit on 12-8-2011 by sith9157 because: Mispelled word in post

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Interesting find OP. Although it does make me wonder if the extraterrestial life would actually understand any of our messages. The dorito's and bebo messages make me want to facepalm. As nice as Doritos are, do we want a cornchip brand representing the human race? Although then when i look at it, it's not like we have much to be proud of as we are currently fighting our own people.

Didn't Hawkings warn against messages into Space? Saying that aliens could invade and we could become endangered or something?

Nice find.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

Yeah Hawking did say that it could be an open invitation for invasion..saying hey..here we are.
What I don't like is that in some of those messages they attached an example of human dna. I don't know if that is a very good idea.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Yeah definetly not, its a sign of good will but if you meet a race of aliens with a war based culture, we could be sh*tting on our own doorstep. I do think a common meeting ground should be created however we would need to advance in space travel first. Then that way the race does not have more information than us, in this way we would be able to progress calmly and diplomatically.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Maybe the ETs have turned off their TVs because they are sick of the ads?

In a 2008 publicity campaign, radars in the Arctic Circle broadcast six hours of a repeating Doritos commercial.

Hell, I would! But you can't blame corporations for trying to find new markets, hey!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sith9157

The best way Would be to make thousands of the same satalite,transmitter, scanner, and just scatter them out in space, to travel, freely, and to be programmed to feed info back to the closest satalite to earth

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

You could just imagine the board meeting with a pie chart,

"Humans make up 30% of our market thanks to the 2008 advertising campaign. After they arrived in 2012 to try our chips, they couldn't get enough!"

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The movie contact is good, would be cool if that happened

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

Yea..I would hope that our first ambassador to extraterrestrial intelligence was not a friggin corn chip

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MX48K

Great idea

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
you wanna get there attention??

Here is the game plan minipulate the sun to shoot out differnt colors through a filter of each differnt color

our sun will look like a pulsar with weird colors like they never have seen

they will come to investigate then on there way to the sun they notice our satilities and head towards earth

and when they come here we smash them over the head with a rock and steal there resources hold them hostage and threaten the other aliens with democracy

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

no words

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
who gets to decide that sending messages into space with information about our species is a good idea? Its really irresponsible if you ask me. We don't know what Alien lifeforms might be out there or what their agenda/philosophy is. For all we know they could be like super locusts with teeth.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

I'm not worried. See, there are two possibilities.

1) A species that has mastered manned interstellar travel is very probably technologically able to extract resources from unmanned worlds; why bother with the trouble of pestering us for resources, when Mars is right there? When you have unlimited resources, conflict is not part of the agenda.

2) If htye are, as you say, "locusts with teeth" then the fact that these things have interstellar travel almost guarantees they are aware of us; you don't get to that point without becoming very aware of where you might be going. In this case, we're already on their list of planets to eat, and sending them a doritos commercial, if anything, might just get them to lower us as a culinary priority

Best case scenario, we make new friends. Worst case is no different than if we had kept our traps shut.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I disagree, they wouldn't necessarily already be aware of us, we've only been 'broadcasting our presence' for about 100yrs (not a long time) and the chances are that in the future we'll be using technology that doesn't broadcast our position.

Unless 'someone' has been actively looking in our direction over the past 100yrs then the chances are we will of gone unnoticed, until that is of course one of our ill-advised messages gets intercepted and all our vital statistics our displayed for the super locusts.

Plus your assuming that what they might want to harvest could be found on Mars
we have rather a lot of things here on Earth that Mars is lacking....
edit on 13/8/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

I agree Versa. We have no idea what is out there, and blatanty sending greeting messages out into the cosmos I think has it's ups and downs. The up side is that we make first contact, and the alien species wants to help us along with our technology. The down side, is of course, the locust's with teeth scenario that you mentioned, they come, they visit, they drain our planet of every natural resource, and enslave us.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Fox, I tend to agree with you. Why would a technologically advanced civilization bother with a planet that is inhabited, when they can simply get the same resources from an Earth class planet elsewhere. Unless of course, there are not many Earth class planets in the universe, and ours is unique. If thats the case, we're in trouble if they come knocking.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

I agree with you that we have probably escaped detection until now.

The volume of space occupied by our electromagnetic transmissions is not more than a hundred light-years in radius. By comparison, the radius of our galaxy is 5,000-odd light-years.

Plugging credible values into the Drake equation suggests a minimum possible separation of 200LY between civilizations in the galaxy. We probably still have at least a century’s grace. Plus, of course, however long it will take our discoverers to get here...

But I fear they will come. And unless they are so unlike us as to be barely comprehensible as sentient beings, they will have material interests that will conflict, sooner or later, with ours.

Look what we have done to other species on this planet – even the ones we do not directly exploit – and you will see the future of the human race if it every encounters a more advanced alien civilization.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

You missed a couple of zeros for the radii of the Milky Way but we get your point. Would the first radio transmission really be the first electromagnetic signatures to leave earth? The movie Contact used a 1933 Hitler TV broadcast and erroneously sited it as the world's first, but that is artistic license they use to make movies more interesting, I suppose.

How far do you think these signatures can be detected from?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

You missed a couple of zeros for the radii of the Milky Way but we get your point.

One zero. Thanks for pointing it out. The radius is roughly fifty thousand light-years.

Would the first radio transmission really be the first electromagnetic signatures to leave earth?

The first that could be decoded to show they had an intelligible message contained in them – yes, I believe so. They would be very faint and difficult to pick up unless one happened to be listening at exactly the right moment.

By the time of the Second World War, however, there were dozens of powerful shortwave transmitters blasting away around the world, using ionospheric reflection to propagate their signals round the Earth. Much of their output would not have been reflected but simply poured out into space. That was only the beginning; Earth as a radio source has been growing brighter ever since.

How far do you think these signatures can be detected from?

Exactly as far as they have travelled to date. 1930 really is quite a good year to start counting from, so radio (including radar, TV, etc.) transmissions from Earth can now be detected anywhere within an globe of space 81 light-years in radius with Earth as its centre. This ‘zone of detectability’ is, of course, expanding at the speed of light.

edit on 14/8/11 by Astyanax because: of the date.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join