It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If We All Could Have Such Eloquence About The Need For Science

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
This comes from a post I replied to considering Government agencies and the thought that you need no Government agencies at all. So if this has been posted before I make no apologies. Financial gain should not be our only consideration. The chance to dream has always been our prime motivation. As this video says what price the Universe?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I agree, keep the money for the money-monkeys. Evolved beings do not need phony papers.
Sadly, most humans are born with the dollar sign in the head....
S&F.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Good find, I love this guy. I just saw him on "Real Time with Bill Maher" last week. You should try to see it if you can, he was great. He's someone who should be heard by every American. A real voice of reason and a great man.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

This pertains to another argument about all Government agencies are bad yet you got together as a Contintal Governmenment to defeat Government. To me it's the paradox in the American psyche that Americans seem unable to resolve.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OneHundredLittleCurses

Isn't he eloquent as you say, will search that one out.
Ta!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Name one private industry, or one not on the market, that would launch billion dollar space probes for zero gain other than technology research and development, and pure space exploration. I can just see the CFO march into the board of directors meeting or the shareholder's meeting to announce no dividends will be paid this year due to a new space probe, in fact we want you to open your wallets and donate more!

I don't see private industry ever doing a fraction of the space exploration that NASA has already done.

They will launch satellites to LEO for a price that is calculated to net them a profit, and cannot convince the money holders of anything more than that.

If you want to drain the new money in the middle east, get them involved in a space program, they will go broke as their oil reserves run dry, considering these massive cities they are constructed largely uninhabited. I hope I live another 30 years to see what really goes down.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
Name one private industry, or one not on the market, that would launch billion dollar space probes for zero gain other than technology research and development, and pure space exploration. I can just see the CFO march into the board of directors meeting or the shareholder's meeting to announce no dividends will be paid this year due to a new space probe, in fact we want you to open your wallets and donate more!

I don't see private industry ever doing a fraction of the space exploration that NASA has already done.

They will launch satellites to LEO for a price that is calculated to net them a profit, and cannot convince the money holders of anything more than that.

If you want to drain the new money in the middle east, get them involved in a space program, they will go broke as their oil reserves run dry, considering these massive cities they are constructed largely uninhabited. I hope I live another 30 years to see what really goes down.

You're in America can you answer me why you're willing to give up this lead so willingly?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by goldentorch

'Give up' what lead? Manned space flight to LEO? Like NASA did for 7 years between Apollo and the Shuttle? During that time who has done more in pure space exploration? Give up what?

I guarantee that NASA will not have a 7-year lag in putting men into space from home grown platforms. Maybe short term NASA want's to finance some foreign private ventures, (and see if they can come to fruition) that's what they do, have done, and will continue to do but eventually the best systems are incorporated into the NASA system of construction, testing, and launching because of the infrastructure already in place all over the country and the Pacific Oceania.
edit on 12-8-2011 by Illustronic because: additional thoughts added

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Something I've noticed about the chaps in charge is that they use all our exploration money to take on all the capital investment, in this case for LEO like Neil says but then profit from that investment without paying a penny back nor investing in further exploration. No it's far enough now we can make profits out of, but when the profits there run out they'll be demanding government subsidies to explore further.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by goldentorch

Hence, without the wealth of a wealthy nation, pure scientific space exploration is not a viable option for industries to invest in. So why doesn't China invest more of their new established wealth?

Return from investment.

China want's to charge up before the world comes down on their environmental atrocities, while they can and space exploration is a money hole, much like a boat or swimming pool is to those that barely can afford one. Why their program is less than 1% of the rest.

top topics

join