It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The english riots, but where are the scottish, welsh and irish riots?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife
this has been puzzling me since the whole thing started, whats odd is the average wage here and in scotland and ireland is much less than in England. Can anyone share some light on this.
www.bbc.co.uk...

I personally think this problem is isolated to the inner cities which is why the rest maybe got away with it.It was all deprived areas and they thought they had found themselves an excuse. Anyway how are you ?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I don't know if this has been posted but there have been a couple of incedents up in Aberdeen. I had a look at their local paper as I lived up there for 10 years. This one....
www.eveningexpress.co.uk...
"Firebomb attack on Aberdeen police station
Torry police station targeted by man
By Jennifer McKiernan

Published: 11/08/2011

INCIDENT: Torry Police Station in Oscar Road.A FIREBOMB was launched at an Aberdeen police station, police confirmed today.

Torry Police Station in Oscar Road, Aberdeen, was targeted as riots broke out in English cities.

A spokesman for Grampian Police said the attack was made by a man acting on his own."

If you know this area of Aberdeen you would probably say "Only in Torry"!

Also this

Video: Two cars torched in Aberdeen
Cars set on fire in Ann Street and Jute Street
By Alison Rennie and Jamie MacDonald

Published: 12/08/2011

ABLAZE: The Fiat Punto on fire in Jute Street, Aberdeen, today.POLICE were today hunting for firebugs after two cars were torched in Aberdeen.

The cars, a Fiat Punto and a Nissan Micra, were left burned-out wrecks after the fires.

The Nissan Micra was set on fire in Ann Street, Aberdeen, while the Punto was set alight less than a mile away in Jute Street.

www.eveningexpress.co.uk...

My view? Aberdeen (because of the oil) is one of the most affluent cities in the UK. But like all cities it has its poorer areas too. These 'attacks' in Aberdeen just show that what has happened in English cities is no more than vandalism and thuggery. The do-gooders will spend weeks trying to justify these hooligans actions. The true response is from the citizens who are banding together to clean up and protect their properties.....they are the ones who see this for what it is........mindless yoberry.
Have I covered all the negative name calling here?
Rainbows
Jane

Rainbows
Jane

edit on 13-8-2011 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
I personally think this problem is isolated to the inner cities which is why the rest maybe got away with it.It was all deprived areas and they thought they had found themselves an excuse.

Have you ever been to Glasgow ?! It has some of the worst areas in the entire UK.

A few years ago, a World Health Organisation study concluded that men in the Calton area of Glasgow's East End have a life expectancy of 54. No, that isn't a typo.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Again you see it is a small area of Glasgow. Much of Glasgow is still 'comfortable'. Sometimes it is "just the nature of the beast".
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by GonzoSinister

Originally posted by SemperFish
Have they? really? how many have you spoken to? Perhaps you read a few comments in the newspapers or watched an interview on t.v? Does this mean that this is the collective voice of the thousands of rioters? They have spoken have they? and they have said it is all down to money?
The poster above gave a more reasonable description. In my opinion there are many factors, and I dont proclaim to have enough information or be in a position to be able to give a definitive answer. There are not simple solutions.
However I will continue to deny ignorance in its many forms.

And you'll deny ignorance by telling me there were diffrent reasons of which you will not tell me about??

sorry that doesnt cut it... the OP looked for opinion on why certain things happend and why they happened in certain places (or to be more accurate didnt happen in certain places)...

so far your reply is... "diffrent things but not what you think, but im not telling you what?" really?

Keep on denying
edit on 12-8-2011 by GonzoSinister because: (no reason given)

your reply does not even make sense.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
Again you see it is a small area of Glasgow. Much of Glasgow is still 'comfortable'. Sometimes it is "just the nature of the beast".
Rainbows
Jane

Calton may be an extreme example of the less-affluent areas in Glasgow, but there a dozens more deprived areas scattered throughout the city. In 2004, Glasgow was named as Britain's ''poorest'' city.

The point is, though, that the worst areas of Glasgow are every bit as bad as those in the English cities where the rioting took place, so socio-economic reasons alone are not a sufficient explanation as to why there were no major disturbances in Scotland.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
this wasn't a social revolution, it was punks taking advantage of a couple days of anarchy

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

i think it shows each region has its own subculture which doesn't react to events specific to another region. e.g if there were riots in Scotland i doubt they would spread anywhere else if they were initiated by a local event.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
i think it shows each region has its own subculture which doesn't react to events specific to another region. e.g if there were riots in Scotland i doubt they would spread anywhere else if they were initiated by a local event.

Yes, that's what I believe the reason to be, too. All the constituent parts of the UK have their own national and cultural identity, and something happening in one part won't necessarily have a huge impact on those living in the other three.

Rioting in Northern Ireland doesn't set off similar incidents on the mainland, just as rioting in England won't lead to the same in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. It would have to be something which affected people in the whole UK to trigger any large-scale UK-wide civil disturbances.

London is geographically closer to Amsterdam, Brussels or Paris, than it is to Glasgow or Edinburgh, and there were no copycat incidents in the Netherlands, Belgium or France.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join