It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jodie Foster helps in search for alien civilizations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Jodie Foster helps in search for alien civilizations

The nonprofit Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) Institute, which was forced earlier this year to shutter its Allen Telescope Array, used to listen for alien signals, due to budget issues, has raised enough money to resume the search for life beyond planet Earth. The institute reached its goal last week of raising $200,000 to operate the telescope through the end of this year. The funds came from over 2,000 private donors, including the actress Jodie Foster, who played fictional SETI scientist Ellie Arroway in the 1997 movie "Contact." IN PICTURES: Famous aliens "Just like Ellie Arroway, the ATA is 'good to go' and we need to return it to the task of searching newly discovered planetary worlds for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence," Foster wrote in a note accompanying her donation.

Well at least the telescope can be brought back online. Since the funding is only present until the end of the year though, it seems kind of pointless. I had high hopes for this array. It's a shame to see it treated so badly.

Allen Telescope Array

The Allen Telescope Array (ATA), formerly known as the One Hectare Telescope (1hT), was a joint effort by the SETI Institute and the Radio Astronomy Laboratory (RAL) at the University of California, Berkeley to construct a radio interferometer that is dedicated to astronomical observations and a simultaneous search for extraterrestrial intelligence.[1][2] The ATA is under construction at the Hat Creek Radio Observatory, 290 miles (470 km) northeast of San Francisco, California. When completed, the array is expected to consist of 350 antennas.[3] The first phase with 42 antennas (ATA-42) is complete and became operational on 11 October 2007.[4][5] However, in April 2011, the ATA was placed in operational hibernation due to funding shortfalls.[6] [7]. In August 2011, short-term funding was found [8]

edit on 12-8-2011 by DragonFire1024 because: add

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I already have a thread on this I started this morning.

Try searching jodie foster and you will see it.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Search is indeed your friend .

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
I already have a thread on this I started this morning.

Try searching jodie foster and you will see it.

I did. Nothing came up recently. the search doesn't always put the most recent thread first.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I posted this a few days ago, I believe.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Please add to this topic here.

Closed.

top topics

join