It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six So-called "Job Creators" Who Won't Hire the Unemployed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

I have been told that the way to get Americans back to work is for us to be willing to lower our salary requirements to those that are paid in Mexico, or Bangladesh, or India or other developing nations.

Great. We can all live in tents and get our food from food banks and still work 50 hours a week.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Remember -- if you deflate wages by 60%, everything else will eventually follow wages to the bottom, including housing prices.

Who wins in such a scenario? The market makers who are shorting our economy and pushing gold.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
Alternet

As President Obama hits the road on his jobs agenda bus tour, millions of individuals trying to re-enter the job market, seeking to eke out a modest living so that they too can live the American Dream – or what’s left of it anyway – are stuck in a rut. They write hundreds of cover letters, perfect their interview techniques and network like crazy, but sometimes the barriers are too high.

What some may not know is that a number of employers, including household-name companies, have taken the position that the unemployed should forget about obtaining a job altogether.

Log on to any jobs site, do a quick search and the results may surprise you: slews of job ads are essentially warning the out-of-work that they worthless and disposable.

Welcome to 21st Century, post-Recession hiring discrimination: where you must be an “employed or recently employed” person to get a job.

The America I learned about in school was called "the land of the free." We were taught that anyone who was willing to work hard and save their money could climb the ladder to financial and social success. This included recent immigrants and the working class and other groups who were part of America's underclass. We were taught to be proud to live in a country where we were entirely free from class distinctions or prejudice. and, like the heroes of the Horatio Alger novels, our own virtues were certain to shine so brightly that we would capture the attention and approval of the rich and powerful who would reward us with their patronage. It took some real-life experience to teach me that I had been fed a lot of propaganda and that the majority of us live from paycheck to paycheck, that is, if we are lucky enough to get one at all, especially in this depression.

What I see now is an attempt to return to the actual living and working conditions that prevailed in the nineteenth century. Our population is being stripped of all the hard-won rights and working conditions we have achieved through many years -- like the five-day work week, safe working conditions, pensions, health care, the elimination of child labor and paid vacation, to name a few. Unions insist on fair salaries and working conditions.

I think the policy of the corporate bigwigs in hiring only the already-employed is just another means of separating our population into "haves" and "have nots." It gives a corporation some prestige in their own eyes and those of other business leaders. They can brag about their exclusivity, I myself have worked for some companies with such a policy and seen one of my co-workers, who had 20 years of experience and was good at her job, denied permanent employment because she had no degree.

Our country is rapidly dividing into two classes - the "haves" and the "have nots." The middle class is shrinking and the working class is getting bigger. In the not-so-distant future I foresee our own country becoming one with a very small group of the ruling elite and the rest of us dirt-poor.

It distresses me to see people of the middle class, many of whom live from paycheck to paycheck themselves, trashing the working class for the same things that the rich have been accusing them of.

Imagine what could happen if the two classes joined together in our mutual interests.

edit on 12-8-2011 by Sestias because: (no reason given)

Some companies are posting on the job ads for positions available that they will only consider hiring you if you are already employed!

it is just crazy from an unemployed persons view! Employers are taking advantage of a down economy by knowing they have the option to take what they consider the Best of the Best!

They believe that if they hire someone who is already employed it mean that that person must be a cream of the crop worker as they were not effected by the fallout and did not get laid off or fired when the economy plunged and millions were put on the unemployed list so now employers believe that the employed person has to more of a value than the unemployed!

Really Sucks for all of us looking for a job!

I have been unemployed for 3 going on 4 yrs now and I am even further back in line for a job than someone who got laid off or fired ....Why well I was a homemaker for 17 yrs now I am single mom trying to reenter the workforce, and although I have plenty of skills from starting and running a prior business from home and those skills I had before I became a homemaker...employers could care less to hire me..

.I have put out 100's of resumes without call backs! and my resume isnt shabby but now It seems to me the only way for me to get a job is to create one myself!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by soulenlightenment

I understand this completely, as I had to leave a job within the brink of the economic debacle to take care of my son who had seizures suddenly start in the midst of his 7th grade year. The company did not care or have any empathy when I explained the only reason I accepted the job (was hired the day he came home from the hospital literally!) that I was told I would be done by 3 pm and no later so I could be home in case he had a seizure after school (at this point it was told to me it was epilepsy and he was 99.9% likely to continue having seizures all his life). Now one day came and they sent me to work with mexicans (IDC who says they are hard and fast workers, they are full of brown cleveland steamers IMO! because they worked slow as mollases I finished 4 rooms and they were still in the kitchen eating!) anyway the boss thought he was going to demand me to go to another home with these fat lazy B words at 5 pm in the evening!!!
I think not, I stayed long enough and did twice the work that the stupid lazy mexicans did, I told him "I quit Nobody is going to demand me to stay and go to another house, which they could call the owners and put off for one day, and think I will work for their company, pshhh." I then left. When working with the white women we never even finished after 2 PM!!!! I don't Give a F what they say about mexicans I worked along side their women, and they are the laziest bunch of layabouts I EVER had the pleasure of working with. So maybe the men work hard (I don't know as I have no experience with them), but the women are worthless (these are the illegal ones who couldn't speak english, I have worked with the American Citizen ones and they are completely different, BTW). Anyway back to my point I understand about being a homemaker and being out of the employment game and trying to re-enter the workforce, in the meantime I decided to attend school online, which hopefully will prove that I am a self starter being it's online you have to be very strict with self disipline and organize the time and it also shows I didn't sit on my duff either when I could not find work, so hopefully it shows determination, but still I can't even get hired at starbucks?
I really know what you're going through right now! It sucks and now it's been like 3 years my son hasn't had anymore seizures so I beleive the threat has passed thank the Universe!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I am glad that your son is not having seizures now. Hope he never has one again.

You sound like a self-starter. Maybe you could start your own business? I gather from what you write you have been working for a housecleaning service. There is a lot of extra work you would have to do, like taxes and other paperwork, but you could also hire whoever you wanted. Hopefully you will find some good workers who are presently unemployed. I'm guessing there are a lot out there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join