It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother isn't watching you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
From Russell Brand who wrote it for The Guardian. Have just read it on another site and think it sums up the problems connected to the riots in the UK better than anything else I've read since they started. I don't really know much of his work either, but loved reading this. Extract :

Politicians don't represent the interests of people who don't vote. They barely care about the people who do vote. They look after the corporations who get them elected. Cameron only spoke out against News International when it became evident to us, US, the people, not to him (like Rose West, "He must've known") that the newspapers Murdoch controlled were happy to desecrate the dead in the pursuit of another exploitative, distracting story.

Why am I surprised that these young people behave destructively, "mindlessly", motivated only by self-interest? How should we describe the actions of the city bankers who brought our economy to its knees in 2010? Altruistic? Mindful? Kind? But then again, they do wear suits, so they deserve to be bailed out, perhaps that's why not one of them has been imprisoned. And they got away with a lot more than a few ******* pairs of trainers.

Link : www.guardian.co.uk...

For those interested in how and why things got so bad over the last week or so, I'd definitely suggest you take 5 mins to read it.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The riots are nothing to worry about, it has all happened before, the media just like to make a big deal out of it, it will all be forgotten in a week or 2

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Brand asks why these youth are destroying their own communities. And his reply is that these "communities" are not their communities. A community is not so much a neighborhood as it is a sense of belonging, and the system of wealth in England has not created a community within which these people can go about creating their own.
Thankyou for posting this article.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I've just listened to some of the youths that were involved in the looting, on Sky News.

Although I couldn't agree with everything they were saying and certainly would not condone their actions, one of them hit the nail on the head imo. He pointed towards the City and said that is who the Government cares about, not us.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
My god, i am surprised, i did not think that Brand had any insight into anything apart from the next pair of knickers!.

I stand corrected by the looks of, nail on head i think. I need a drink to get over this. . . . .

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Mr. Brand seems to have summed up a lot of the general feeling I have heard from friends and associates. The powers that be are greedy, self indulgent, power hungry people - so far removed from real life they might as well be asleep or in an alternate reality.

The average guy pays his bills, keeps his car on the road for work and scrimps and scrapes what he can to just survive while the likes of MP's, corporate (daddy gave it to me up your own a**) bankers worry about what £800 suit to put on or eating one meal in a restaurant that would be a average UK families weekly budget in one hit...

You wonder why people are pi**ed?

The cutbacks and penalisation of the disabled by the Gov is shoulder to shoulder with Nazi Germany making people embarrassed and sub-human...how dare they?

The new Wembley stadium is costing £827 million pounds alone and we send aid overseas despite our own citizens starving and being homeless???? Am I missing something???

We need a revolution - not a baby riot or two...

J S Wintersong

Source:www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/oct/15/football.wembleystadium

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
Although I couldn't agree with everything they were saying and certainly would not condone their actions, one of them hit the nail on the head imo. He pointed towards the City and said that is who the Government cares about, not us.

It does look like it's the case, glad that at least some of them get it. When you look at it like that it's no longer just mindless kids with no respect, some of them know full well what the situation is.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Ya know, the more research I do, and the more I think about it, I just cannot help but think, "My gosh, this is sounding more and more like the events leading up to the French Revolution of 1789..... Except on an international scale."
I just sincerely hope it does not lead up to the same - or greater - level of violence that (supposedly) happened. I have my doubts, however, as the events in London have shown.

new topics

top topics

join