It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defense: Boy not driven by hate in CA gay killing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Defense attorneys for a California teenager accused of taking a gun to school and shooting a gay classmate in the head worked Thursday to chip away at the prosecution's claim that the killing was a hate crime fueled by homophobia and white supremacist sympathies.

In the case that brought national attention to the issue of violence against gays, lawyers for defendant Brandon McInerney were working to undermine the credibility of a detective who said he found a trove of Nazi paraphernalia and other emblems of racist ideology at the home and in the schoolbooks of McInerney.

This is such an obvious case of a hate crime I'm not sure how it get's much clearer. I understand that the lawyers have to do whatever they can for their client but sometimes it is pointless.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Man I hate to sound like a D*** here but, I don't agree with the whole gay thing.....I guess I was just raised in a different time by different viewing parents, that WAS NOT allowed in my family.....Which is the way it should be IMO.....Sorry gays but I don't agree with your thinking...

Nothing is better than not only love with a woman, but being "with" a woman.....I am a guy myself and I wouldn't want to touch another guy with a 10 foot pole...No pun intended..LOL

Let me also say I don't agree in killing either, I didn't want it to come off that I thought anyone deserves to die based on their beliefs....The response above was more of a rant that on topic...Sorry
edit on 8/12/2011 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Pointless maybe, but no one gets paid for free...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
It's so sad. It seems these days, If they can't "bully" someone into killing themselves...they feel they can just outright kill them.

Until hate crimes such as this, are dealt with in a realistic manner by the judicial system...it will continue to fester and grow. Like the evil disease it is..

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

The fact that we have homosexuals here on planet Earth isn't really what this thread is about..

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

That is why I edited my above response to add in that was a rant...Nothing more....My bad people

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

That is why I edited my above response to add in that was a rant...Nothing more....My bad people

Fair enough buddy

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
My concern is that one day a defense lawyer will be successful in taking such an obvious hate crime and convincing a jury that there was an excuse for it thereby setting a precedent where violent crimes such as this will be considered not as bad as they are.

That somehow the perpetrator is also a victim. I find that a horrible thing.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
My concern is that one day a defense lawyer will be successful in taking such an obvious hate crime and convincing a jury that there was an excuse for it thereby setting a precedent where violent crimes such as this will be considered not as bad as they are.

That somehow the perpetrator is also a victim. I find that a horrible thing.

I suppose that depends on the sanity of the perpetrator?

link   
Love the fact that with this Hate Crime crap, we have allowed special classes of citizens to be created.

So if you kill a straight person, it is just this punishment.
Now if you kill a gay person, well that is worse and you get 10Xs the punishment.

What a crock!!!!

link   
reply to post by kro32

More on topic to this last post anyways....

Hate crime is a terrible term also.....Is the United States not in war with "terrorists" daily?? When is the last "terroristic threat" or attack on America that HAS BEEN VERIFIED???

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by kro32

Man I hate to sound like a D*** here but, I don't agree with the whole gay thing.....I guess I was just raised in a different time by different viewing parents, that WAS NOT allowed in my family.....Which is the way it should be IMO.....Sorry gays but I don't agree with your thinking...

Nothing is better than not only love with a woman, but being "with" a woman.....I am a guy myself and I wouldn't want to touch another guy with a 10 foot pole...No pun intended..LOL

Let me also say I don't agree in killing either, I didn't want it to come off that I thought anyone deserves to die based on their beliefs....The response above was more of a rant that on topic...Sorry
edit on 8/12/2011 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

Someone's child was murdered in cold blood and this is the best you can come up with? Your personal preferences? "Sorry I don't agree with your thinking..." I'm afraid I don't understand this. Are you assuming gays
sit around and contemplate their sexuality in order to perpetuate it? Either way, someone somewhere is burying
their child. What a shallow thing to post.

link   
reply to post by kro32

The whole "hate crime" business is a farce. It is a totally subjective designation that is consistently applied to groups of certain demographics and not others.

Further, it is similar to Federal Civil Rights laws, which are used when the feds don't like a jury verdict so that they can come in and violate double jeopardy and try the person for the same crime under a violation of civil rights.

Murder is murder and the place to enforce greater punishment is and should be in the hands of the judge when sentencing occurs.

Lets see how many of the black kids who are now stating that they purposefully targeted white folks at the Wisconsin fair are charged with a hate crime.
edit on 12-8-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

link   

LOLOLOLOL that isn't true there is a whole slew of government employees that get paid for going on vacation or driving the government supplied vehicle to staples all of it on taxpayer money.

As far as the lawyers go, I have never once needed one and when I was given one *cough* I ended up defending myself most of the trial, as I am here typing this you should be able to surmise that I did so brilliantly
The point is that I told the Judge I did not need a public defender, when asked why and was I aware that this was a felony trial, I educated the judge on what I had seen of others and interactions with public defenders more often than not they barely know you and are there only to accept a deal that you would never say yes to, that is when they decide to show up. My PD was there twice in 12 scheduled appearances, by the end of the case I had gotten the charge dropped to a misdemeanor and no probation, I had kicked a car that tried to run me over in a cross walk
I still had to pay 2000 for attorney fees! see paid for free
edit on 12-8-2011 by LanternOfDiogenes because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-8-2011 by LanternOfDiogenes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Wow...only took 10 posts to derail this thread from the original topic.

This is about hate crimes. Children killing children under the umbrella of hate, pure and simple. There is an underlying cause and effect for this abnormal behavior. Hate taught by others who hate someone for their race, sexual preferences, religious affiliation...where does it end.

The hate must stop with the youth of our cultures.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LanternOfDiogenes

That wasn't really the point I was making, at the end of the day defence lawyers are paid to defend their clients (many probably dislike their clients or personally believe they are responsible for said crime), they will try any angle in order to secure a "not guilty" verdict. It's their job

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The only reason this is big news is because the victim was gay. That's just stupid, it should be about a kid killing another kid, instead it's reduced to mitigating circumstances for a public plea for tolerance. Charge the kid with murder, convict him if found guilty and move on, anything else is just idiocy.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Sorry my bad, I just saw the one liner no one gets paid for free. Jostled that story loose. As for the trial in question terrible, as I live in Nor Ca. this case would ave already been tried and adjudicated as the world knows this area is known for its.... temperance for same sex unity, the strange thing is, Northern Ca also has a higher rate of White supremacy, however a lower occurrence of hate crimes than in the south...Its sad and I feel for both sides of this case, no good will come of it.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LanternOfDiogenes

Sorry my bad, I just saw the one liner no one gets paid for free. Jostled that story loose. As for the trial in question terrible, as I live in Nor Ca. this case would ave already been tried and adjudicated as the world knows this area is known for its.... temperance for same sex unity, the strange thing is, Northern Ca also has a higher rate of White supremacy, however a lower occurrence of hate crimes than in the south...Its sad and I feel for both sides of this case, no good will come of it.

Don't worry about it, was partly by fault by not explaining what I ment

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BioStatistic

Attack my beliefs all you want....I will start to follow you around on here and attack what you believe also!! I clearly stated that was a rant and not about someone getting killed....But AGAIN you read what you want and only reply to one part of the post....

At least you got the 4 stars you were looking for attacking someone's beliefs....I should expect no less!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join