It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why People HATE Atheists.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

Atheism = a lack of belief in a deity.

There is no description. Anyone can describe man made God's. If we entertain the possibility that God exists; we would have to also entertain the fact that cancer, parasites, cot-death, natural castrophe and extinction are a part of this deity's creation.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I'm here because I'm here. Another user started a thread about a subject I must of took in a different way. Now, it seems you're offended about something I said in one of my comments. Why is that?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManOfGod267

I'm here because I'm here. Another user started a thread about a subject I must of took in a different way. Now, it seems you're offended about something I said in one of my comments. Why is that?

Offended? no. Amused.

Deny ignorance is the motto of the website...so, how is it enlightening to a thread if you come in, pay no attention to the topic, don't watch the video in question, and simply give your personal, very bias opinion on the subject...again, without any understanding of what is being discussed?

You have actually served to prove the opposite point you likely were intending on giving, which is fine by me and in my opinion, very typical. I quite enjoy such posts as it provides a deep contrast between theist mindsets and atheists mindsets...an atheist typically wants to know whats going on, a theist will block any understanding in order to speak their belief.

But keep going on, this is just another demonstration that adds to the overall point of mindsets as per the topic's general intent.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverForget The difference between Dawkins and a religious preacher is that Dawkins doesn't tell people they are naturally evil, Dawkins uses falsifiable evidence, and philosophical reasoning to make people think about what they truly believe, and whether faith (belief without evidence) is a good thing.

You share one of Dawkin’s an fundamental misunderstanding or ignorance of theology. Learn your subject matter before you characterize it. The Abrahamic religions do not believe humans are innately evil, only that we are born with a tendency towards sin. Not an entirely controversial statement if you think about it and weigh the preponderance of evidence. Accordingly, being sinful does not make one evil if you choose to reject it and work to rid your actions and thoughts of its influence.

That's the argument from ignorance that has always overshadowed the theological/religious debate; You could state that about anything (Unicorns, Magic Diamonds in my back garden that I refuse to dig for because of my faith).

A personal spiritual experience or a revelation from God is not a quantifiable event. An outside observer cannot measure the event and it does not fit into the confines of the modern scientific method. That in itself is no disqualification for its existence. I have had several such moments, and countless more have as well. You can dismiss them as random chemical reactions or some sort of evolutionary response but they are very real.

I know how condescending this sounds, but I wouldn’t expect a nonbeliever to understand.

Have you ever considered Russell's Teapot?

Belief in God is a great deal more reasonable than belief in a teapot (to paraphrase someone else).

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Fine wit me it seems you didn't like my comments and I could care less what you have to say. But I will continue to speak my mind on any subject. Ignoring what Atheist or others want to me to do in order to be happy.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

You share one of Dawkin’s an fundamental misunderstanding or ignorance of theology.

Not at all. And as Christianity has many proliferating schisms; belief and dogma varies from faith to faith (Calvanism etc.). The original scripture states that we are natural "sinners". Vicarious redemption also intensifies this ideology. (the scapegoating of sin, due to one human sacrifice) Hellfire is used as a threat, or a warning against living in "sin" - And sin is just a subjective viewpoint of the Christian ideology; Preaching "sin" has been a force multiplier of the church for many centuries.

Many fundamental preachers are keane to promote the above. Dawkins is against this notion, as am I.
edit on 12/8/2011 by NeverForget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheUnusualSuspect

The guy is wrong.

That is an absolute. I assume you can prove clearly why he is wrong...will probably be further down.

It's as simple as that.

Oops, you forgot the many paragraphs clearly proving a deity...weird.
Imagine if all science worked lke that..
Flight wont work because -snip- its as simple as that.

Anyone who believes that there's nothing more to life/existence than what we are experiencing at this very moment is a fool.

Wait, first off...
Why?
Second off, an atheist can have all sorts of beliefs...be it reincarnation, "ghostery", or simple lights out..Atheism is simply not believing in a deity that is running the show due to lack of evidence...not any unified statement about souls, unicorns, string theory, smurfs, or the like.

But back to the first question...why? why is said person a fool? Is there rock solid proof of something more to life/existance?

I'm not religious, because organized religion is a mind control system, but to believe that we just cease to exist after we "Die" is more than wrong, it pretty much makes you certifiable lol that is the mentality!

You keep repeating this, but you don't really give any reason to explain your stance.
Care to? and try to avoid words like "feeling" or "Faith/Hope/Wish".

He wants to search for evidence before believing in something? that's fine, but what's not OK is his blatant determination to preach a message to people that explains life as merely chance, luck or a mistake and that we are born, we live and then we die, with our consciousness simply ceasing to exist.

So far, the proof points to that with -no- counter equal in proof...or even convincing evidence.
But I am sure if there is evidence pointing to the opposite, it will be presented eventually,,,until then, lets just go with where the proof is

Incidently, who are you referring to? The dude in the video, or did I skip over something that would enlighten me?

When you hear people talk like that, and especially old laughing boy, you can just tell it's more than a quest to search for truth. Richard Dawkins has an agenda,

Everyone has an agenda/point overall, welcome to human existance.
I am not sure I would want to hang out with people whom have no agenda...
What your saying is that your agenda disagrees with his agenda.

just like all the other famous scientists of this world, because in my mind he's like Michio kaku, Who is blatantly pushing the idea of one world governmnt with his 'Type 1' civilization message,

Pushing? no...acknowledging, yes. You can try to understand it of course, and you will realize it is an absolute fact based not only on logical civilization movements, but also reflections on what we intelligent species have been moving towards since we were cavemen.

and that agenda is fear.

No, that is an agenda -you- fear
And the fear, no doubt, comes from lack of knowledge and filling in assumptions and personal paranoia.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverForget
reply to post by rwfresh

There is no description. Anyone can describe man made God's. If we entertain the possibility that God exists; we would have to also entertain the fact that cancer, parasites, cot-death, natural castrophe and extinction are a part of this deity's creation.

lol Whatever creator/multiple creators designed existence/the multi-verse may not have actually intervened with it after it's completion. What I'm trying to say is that "Divine intervention" is something that the El-itest establishments of the ancient world included in organized Religion to dupe everyone in to blindly following the word of their dogma, their control system.

Maybe everything we experience in life is merely just by chance? or maybe the intelligent mind(s) behind creation designed a pre determined version and we have no free will? that would also mean that there would be no need for "Divine intervention" and "They" don't care as much about us, because it's Religion that has lead us to believe in a supreme being that loves us and guides our very lives.
edit on 12-8-2011 by TheUnusualSuspect because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-8-2011 by TheUnusualSuspect because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Fine wit me it seems you didn't like my comments and I could care less what you have to say. But I will continue to speak my mind on any subject. Ignoring what Atheist or others want to me to do in order to be happy.

I fully support this, and will gladly flag any thread you make in order for it to gain maximum attention.

Fine wit me also

But I do like your comments...actually, I am rapidly becoming a fan of them.. I encourage you to post more..lots.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Reading your comments I do believe I should have watched the video. But I felt I understood it as a question then having to watch the video.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
"Why people hate atheists"... i think that statement opposes the posted movie that is saying that atheists are "rejecting" the theists. Your title sounds more like theists are rejecting (by hating) the atheists. But I couldn't handle watching more than half of that movie so my opinion of the movie may not be completely valid (sorry... I guess I am not the intended audience for that movie as I found it slightly offensive that one can be so sure of how atheists act as if they are all the same... and I don't at all consider myself an atheist so I'm not feeling that it's attacking me personally at all... I see it as just another ignorant point of view from someone that thinks they know it all and that they are right).

The reason people hate any group of people is because we give out these titles/labels such as atheist, theist, agnostic, American, Canadian, Chinese, etc. And once you learn not to like (or disagree with) more than one person in that group, you think that you will not like (or disagree with) all of that group. People are people. We have to get over the titles that we give them (and stop giving peoples such titles) and learn to love the person next to you despite what they think will happen when they die. Stop being part of a group that doesn't at all give one credit for being the individual that they are.

And from my perspective, the atheists I know are much more accepting of other people's life choices than the theists I know... I find the theists actually segregate themselves more than theists ("I will only marry someone within my church" is something I've heard many times over and over), and then impose their opinions on others more than atheists do. Perspective is everything is a relative world.

In reality, theist and atheists are no different ... [the majority of] people just think they are right and everyone else is wrong. I think it's more likely that we are all wrong....

I am not a theist, atheist or agnostic. I am a person with ideas, thoughts and feelings. So are you. Look how much the same we are...

So, to the OP... do you HATE atheists?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

reply to post by rwfresh

If you re-read my question you will see i didn't ask for a definition of Atheism. But you pointed out something interesting. Atheism only relates to a definition of God as a deity. A pretty sophomoric understanding of God in this day and age..

In which case i agree that there is no bearded God in the sky issuing judgement on us. But do we really need to waste time and resources letting people know that through Billboards? Or is that sort of obvious to 90% of the population over the age of 10..

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Reading your comments I do believe I should have watched the video. But I felt I understood it as a question then having to watch the video.

Ahh, an opening for an actual discussion. nice change of pace.

Yes, always try to understand at least the original post before commenting. Even if you think you know what is generally being discussed and have an already formed opinion, that does not mean you know objectively what the subject is...so spend time and review what is being stated before commenting.
This is how subjects are examined and debated properly...if people don't bother reading anything, and just post their opinion...well, two things

1) how is that progressing the discussion and
2) why would someone take the time to read what you write if you can't be bothered to read what someone else writes (or posts a video of..)...
Best to simply sit back and read others comments first, or just give the whole thread a pass verses add speedbumps in the flow of debate.

As far as your opinion, well, its irrelevant to the topic...the contrast and comparison in the video is very remarkable, and someone whom has at least said they were an atheist (again, I am highly skeptical of that claim), you will no doubt see a remarkable resemblence as the video points out...enough to perhaps even review your previous notions...and give maybe a slight bit of honest introspection to the....your not reading anymore, are you...you totally glossed over this and moved on. Here I am trying to write a little response to enhance the subject and you went and did it again. I give up.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh

reply to post by rwfresh

If you re-read my question you will see i didn't ask for a definition of Atheism. But you pointed out something interesting. Atheism only relates to a definition of God as a deity. A pretty sophomoric understanding of God in this day and age..

In which case i agree that there is no bearded God in the sky issuing judgement on us. But do we really need to waste time and resources letting people know that through Billboards? Or is that sort of obvious to 90% of the population over the age of 10..

Why bother calling it a "GOD" then. Why anthropomophise this "cosmological force" with human emotions, characteristics?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeyBones
I am not a theist, atheist or agnostic. I am a person with ideas, thoughts and feelings. So are you. Look how much the same we are...

Your post actually was riddled with things I disagreed with, from passionately, to minor difference...but this last comment set off a pet peeve of mine...and pet peeves tend to line jump.

You are either an atheist, or a theist...there is no neither...its like, are you male or female...(in a world without herms)...you are one or the other, there is no other option or a NA option...you simply are.

Agnosticism is not a valid description...and will post why not in a different thread...but its just an adjective to either being atheist or theist...

You are posting something based fully on ego...you want to be somehow superior than the rest, but the issue is, what you said is soo meaningless it might as well just be random letters you smacked on the keyboard.
I mean no offense, just wanted to point out this and smack my proverbial keyboard over your head for writing it as it only serves to remove knowledge of the words verses give a new perspective.

peace

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Why bother calling it a "GOD" then. Why anthropomophise this "cosmological force" with human emotions, characteristics?

I agree with this.

And will add
If it is not a deity, then its not a god...the terms are interchangable...its just more enveloping (god, goddess, etc)

The definition of a deity is a god or goddess...and a god/deity is the creator of all things, all dimensions, etc...from a grain of sand, to a galaxy...he totally genie magicked it all into existance by his intentional command and shepherds over it all

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

reply to post by rwfresh

You tell me why you bother calling it God? I'm just trying to understand what the Atheist message is. Specifically I see there are self-proclaimed Atheists who are compelled to disprove the existence of a bearded man in the sky.. But is there more to it? Do Atheists believe in existence? Maybe they should expand their disbelief and be concerned with people who believe in existence and Reality? Really i don't think they've thought about it much.
edit on 12-8-2011 by rwfresh because: had to fix quotes

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

I agree with this.

And will add
If it is not a deity, then its not a god...the terms are interchangable...its just more enveloping (god, goddess, etc)

The definition of a deity is a god or goddess...and a god/deity is the creator of all things, all dimensions, etc...from a grain of sand, to a galaxy...he totally genie magicked it all into existance by his intentional command and shepherds over it all

de·i·ty : The creator and supreme being (in a monotheistic religion such as Christianity)
creator: A person or THING that brings something into existence
being: Existence
Existence: The fact or state of living or having objective reality OR A being or entity

I don't know.. but based on the nomenclature Atheists are just as confused as theists. I don't quite get the purpose of creating billboards and videos disproving something that is an obvious misrepresentation of the facts. Too each his own.. But seems bizarre. An honest interpretation of it would be a compulsion to resist a perceived external understanding of Reality. But how can something not real create an actionable or resistive force? Doesn't make any sense. I mean arguing about the existence of existence is pretty pointless isn't it?

BUT if you Atheists will stick to the simplistic definition of what you don't believe in it would be much easier. Albeit, more difficult to understand WHY anyone would be compelled to actively resist the belief in a bearded man in the sky.. but at least it something to go on.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
You are either an atheist, or a theist...there is no neither...its like, are you male or female...(in a world without herms)...you are one or the other, there is no other option or a NA option...you simply are.

I disagree... what if I change opinions? And do so minute by minute? How can one be sure of something that there is no proof of (or at least the proof is arguable... I say this as the argument is older than I am)? I like to be open to all options and like to listen to all points of view. And we do live in a world of herms and trangenders, so your example isn't the say-all you may believe it is (but do keep believing... it is your right to be wrong too)

You are posting something based fully on ego...you want to be somehow superior than the rest, but the issue is, what you said is soo meaningless it might as well just be random letters you smacked on the keyboard.
I mean no offense

wow... you "mean no offense" but yet throw insults in my direction. I do not at all want to be superior than everyone else (I can't believe you'd even pretend to know what I want or am... talk about a superiority complex!). I would much rather everyone be as superior as me (I'm trying to use humor here to lighten the fact that you are trying to insult me)! No, I would much rather everyone realize we are equal. But do please keep analyzing me... you obviously have a degree in psychology (how else could you know how I think). I think your words are as meaningless as mine (notice the equality thing here) so get off your high horse and stop telling people how right you are. I used to respect your opinion, but after reading your postings in this thread, I realize you aren't here to accomplish anything other than telling people how right you are and it feels like your trolling for arguments. You sign out with "peace" after sending out your attacks... love it. Obviously you have no concept of peace. That smiley face only adds to the insult.

Well, I've stepped into a realm I don't want to be in (arguing, insulting, not looking for understanding, not looking to share ideas) and am stepping out of this conversation (I didn't know you had to be ignorant to be part of this one)... feel free to toss insults back and forth in the name of peace and theism or atheism or whatever. Enjoy ('cause I sure am not). Thanks for coming out SaturnFX

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

BUT if you Atheists will stick to the simplistic definition of what you don't believe in it would be much easier. Albeit, more difficult to understand WHY anyone would be compelled to actively resist the belief in a bearded man in the sky.. but at least it something to go on.

Here you go...quite simple and no word spinning into meaninglessness.

Deitys...we don't believe in deitys.

We are not saying there are absolutely no deitys...that is not atheism, that is gnostic atheism...but atheism is no belief in a deity(s)...conscious creators of the universe...gods...

pretty sure that answers your question.

As far as not believing being resisting belief...well, I also personally don't believe in unicorns, I don't resist the temptation to believe in unicorns, because there is no temptation based on personal evidence that they exist.

Now

If "God" shows up personally and proves he is indeed the one creator of all things, etc...I will certainly believe at that point that some godlike creature, probably god (or a minion thereof) does exist, even though I may not be able to make sense of it.
I would also accept my personal subjective experience does nothing for the overall cause of letting the truth be known. I would tell my story, people would be skeptical of it, and I would fully agree with their skepticism...just relay the events to the best of my ability and move on...knowing exactly why atheists think how they think and without any bad words for them other than a hope that they also recieve whatever it was that I recieved, or some actual proof turned up that cannot be refuted.

See...I am not resisting the belief in God, there is nothing to resist beyond other people telling me I should believe in unicorns and god...I simply don't believe in them

I am not opposed to the idea of godlike aliens btw...but meh, we all like entertaining speculation to some degree.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join