It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why People HATE Atheists.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I came across this wonderful cartoon explaining the reasons why Atheists are disliked.

Enjoy.

Please share your thoughts and opinions.
edit on 12/8/2011 by NeverForget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I'm not in the mood to watch a 7:00 minute video. What I can say being a former Atheist is that many Atheist act like Atheism is a religion. Any mention of a religious figure brings Atheist out into promoting Atheism. That's how I and many others see it how it is.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I love this guys videos, some other classics;

edit on 12-8-2011 by BlackStar99 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-8-2011 by BlackStar99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
As a Catholic I have a number of agnostic and atheist friends. They are good people and the subject of faith rarely comes up. The problem with the Dawkin’s of the world is that they proselytize like Jehovah’s and are just as ignorant and annoying as the worst bible thumpers.

To those with faith no proof is necessary, to those without no evidence is ever enough.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverForget

Probably the same reason some theists are disliked.

Certainty to the point where it becomes tedious and annoying
because after all is said and done, YOU DON'T KNOW.

I know atheists, brilliant atheists. I enjoy reading Christopher Hitchens, I’ll examine everything. But, what I enjoy is uncertainty. There’s lines in this movie where I say, ‘Cherish your doubts because there God is hiding.’ I don’t know. You don’t know. None of us know.

Certainty is responsible for some of the most awful terrors in the world.

Sir Anthony Hopkins www.greatpersonalities.com...

And why is this in a "religion" discussion forum when it is not about religion and is clearly an attempt at jokes and humor? Curiosity will kill me yet.

edit on 12-8-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

They are good people and the subject of faith rarely comes up. The problem with the Dawkin’s of the world is that they proselytize like Jehovah’s and are just as ignorant and annoying as the worst bible thumpers.

The difference between Dawkins and a religious preacher is that Dawkins doesn't tell people they are naturally evil, Dawkins uses falsifiable evidence, and philosophical reasoning to make people think about what they truly believe, and whether faith (belief without evidence) is a good thing.

And, Dawkins isn't prothletising, and I appreciate him for this work in micro-biolology.

To those with faith no proof is necessary, to those without no evidence is ever enough.

That's the argument from ignorance that has always overshadowed the theological/religious debate; You could state that about anything (Unicorns, Magic Diamonds in my back garden that i refuse to dig for because of my faith).

Have you ever considered Russell's Teapot?

Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake. If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
It is because they have what I like to call "The Dawkins consciousness"
edit on 12-8-2011 by TheUnusualSuspect because: Because my first attempt made no sense

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Certainty is responsible for some of the most awful terrors in the world.

Many atheists admit they arn't certain about the unknown, They don't know, they are agnostic (without knowledge) But the religious seem certain, all the Atheist highlights is that the Theist (or the believer) is just as naive as the Atheist; no one knows, but some people claim to.

That's especially disconcerting when we have Priests preaching hellfire, or telling mother's that their babies will go to purgotory if they are not baptised.

I agree with your quote:

Certainty is responsible for some of the most awful terrors in the world

But some things are certain. For example, the earth is not 6,000 years old like many creationists claim.
edit on 12/8/2011 by NeverForget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I was tempted to post that one too. It's brilliant. And while it doesn't apply to all Theists, it does to a good number of them.

Oh, and to anyone interested: QualiaSoup, TheraminTrees, and Grappling Ignorance, are all really good channels too.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManOfGod267
I'm not in the mood to watch a 7:00 minute video. What I can say being a former Atheist is that many Atheist act like Atheism is a religion. Any mention of a religious figure brings Atheist out into promoting Atheism. That's how I and many others see it how it is.

Maybe that has something to do with religious people showing their beliefs right up our faces??
I recall a few incidents as a child when I walked home from school. One such example is a lady that stopped me asking if I attended a sunday school, I replied no, and she wanted to hand out papers and such and told me I would go straight to hell when I told her I was not interested.

If there is anyone who keeps pushing their beliefs on someone then it is christians.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
How can you 'reject' something you don't believe in? Its a contradiction.

link   
reply to post by juleol

I can put myself in your shoes. That lady is a Christian and I understand a big part of the Christian faith is to bring people to Christianity.

link   

Originally posted by TheUnusualSuspect
edit on 12-8-2011 by TheUnusualSuspect because: Because my first attempt made no sense

And? What is this conscioussness? A love for science and nature? A refusal to accept that believing things before having evidence is a great thing? For looking at, and analysing the socio-political issues of religion, past, present and future?

So sew him.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
How can you 'reject' something you don't believe in? Its a contradiction.

Did you watch the full video?

Go back to the false dichotomy part. It's the christians who make that contradiction. The Atheists honestly don't believe, and thusly don't reject.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
Maybe that has something to do with religious people showing their beliefs right up our faces??
I recall a few incidents as a child when I walked home from school. One such example is a lady that stopped me asking if I attended a sunday school, I replied no, and she wanted to hand out papers and such and told me I would go straight to hell when I told her I was not interested.

If there is anyone who keeps pushing their beliefs on someone then it is christians.

Try hearing your girlfriend being shouted at that she's going to hell from a born again who knows less of the bible than you do.

That causes some blood boilage.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I'm not in the mood to read your post, What I can say is nothing then because I did not read your post and it would be silly for me to comment on something where I have no basis on knowing what your discussing.
I assume you feel the same way about just randomly posting your thoughts without knowing the subject being discussed...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverForget

Originally posted by TheUnusualSuspect

And? What is this conscioussness? A love for science and nature? A refusal to accept that believing things before having evidence is a great thing? For looking at, and analysing the socio-political issues of religion, past, present and future?

So sew him.

The guy is wrong. It's as simple as that. Anyone who believes that there's nothing more to life/existence than what we are experiencing at this very moment is a fool. I'm not religious, because organized religion is a mind control system, but to believe that we just cease to exist after we "Die" is more than wrong, it pretty much makes you certifiable lol that is the mentality!

He wants to search for evidence before believing in something? that's fine, but what's not OK is his blatant determination to preach a message to people that explains life as merely chance, luck or a mistake and that we are born, we live and then we die, with our consciousness simply ceasing to exist.

When you hear people talk like that, and especially old laughing boy, you can just tell it's more than a quest to search for truth. Richard Dawkins has an agenda, just like some of the other famous scientists of this world, because in my mind he's like Michio kaku, Who is blatantly pushing the idea of one world governmnt with his 'Type 1' civilization message, and that agenda is fear.

edit on 12-8-2011 by TheUnusualSuspect because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-8-2011 by TheUnusualSuspect because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I understand the subject. The question asked by the original poster was "Why People HATE Atheists."
I replied and let my thoughts be known. If you have a problem with my comment I could care less.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverForget

What is the description of the Atheist's God that they don't believe in again?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

reply to post by SaturnFX

I understand the subject. The question asked by the original poster was "Why People HATE Atheists."
I replied and let my thoughts be known. If you have a problem with my comment I could care less.

The question was not a question, hense the lack of question marks
It was an explanation based on study of human social interactions mirroring that of being personally rejected.

So, ya...seems you didn't even read the title...
ATS is not your personal soap box, its a discussion forum...if you don't wish to engage in the discussion, then why are you here?

Oh, and I would add one more thing
I suspect you were to atheism, what broccoli is to candy...aka, not.
Your mindset does not support the open minded aspects or desire for understanding/truth that is common in atheists.
I would venture to say you were (if anything) a gnostic anti-theist...which is not an atheist.
edit on 12-8-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join