It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida State considers joining the SEC (Southeastern Conference)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Florida State officials have been flirting with the SEC for several months and the discussion is now getting more serious, according to sources.

Rumors have been spreading that the SEC is poised to expand, first to 14 teams and then to 16, and the Seminoles and Texas A&M of the Big 12 could be the first two to jump.

"This is real," said a source close to FSU.

Other schools being mentioned as possible SEC candidates: Clemson, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

www.palmbeachpost.com...

Wow talk about a super conference?!?! The SEC is pretty much dominant in college football (insert snide remarks here), but this would seal the deal. The other conferences would pale in comparison to the new if this all goes down at least as far as football is concerned. This will also help the SEC's basketball presence by adding a few ACC teams and Big 12 teams that are good in basketball to the conference as well. Is this really going to happen?!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
They've been talking about this for a while. I remember reading somewhere that Texas Tech and Virginia tech were wanting to join as well.
Can't remember where I read that though

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Razmijix

If they left I wonder what would become of the ACC? Maybe Georgia Southern (SOCON) can work their way up into the ACC.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

Thank you for bringing this potentially important item up. Star for you, but no flag as I'm not alllowed as a new register.

I see no need for FSU to leave the ACC; the competition is needed, and the SEC is already inenundated, we would definitely need to see a play-off system prior to bowls if the SEC is willing to expand that much.
And we already know the East portion of the conf. is largely superior.

I'm a dawg fan (gater hater) so where would those FSU games be played?

I'd prefer home sites rather than the Jax-supposedly neutral site if it came down to it.

Thoughts? And again, thanks...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Gosh, I don't know...it would sure make for some interesting match-ups, but frankly FSU is not where it once was...almost losing a cartain relevance. I think they would grow in recruiting, a little, but it may set them back too? It seems they are getting better in the last few years and playing those boys week in and week out might not be the solution. I don't know. Interesting if it were to happen. I heard Texas A&M is thinking the same thing.

CJ

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by BurningSpearess

Thank you for bringing this potentially important item up. Star for you, but no flag as I'm not alllowed as a new register.

Thanks! I didn't really think too many people in ATS are interested in American football. I'm glad to see I have company

I see no need for FSU to leave the ACC; the competition is needed, and the SEC is already inenundated, we would definitely need to see a play-off system prior to bowls if the SEC is willing to expand that much.
And we already know the East portion of the conf. is largely superior.

I think that is exactly what they are all trying to do. Form 4 super conferences, tell the NCAA, and the BCS where it can go and have a tournament to determine the championship like most every other team sport played around the globe.

I'm a dawg fan (gater hater) so where would those FSU games be played?

I'd prefer home sites rather than the Jax-supposedly neutral site if it came down to it.

Well here is where we disagree. I can't stand the Dawgs, no offense, GTech fan here. (yea yea I know) I do dislike the Gators as well though. Yeah it wouldn't be neutral anymore I don't think. They would transition into a regular home/away game.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Georgia Tech Fan? I just have to throw it in - You stole half of OUR National Championship!! Go BUFFS!

ColoradoJens

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Yeah 1990 was a crazy year for college football. This is exactly why a tournament is needed to select the champs. Meanwhile Texas A&M just officially announced moving to the SEC!!!!!

Texas A&M will leave the Big 12 to join the Southeastern Conference (SEC), ESPN reported Saturday, quoting a "high ranking source" from the Aggies.

The source said Clemson, Florida State and Missouri were also "likely to join."

Texas A&M had already moved forward a Board of Regents meeting to Monday afternoon to discuss "conference alignment," heightening anticipation at the move, the Houston Chronicle reported.

The SEC will be huge!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
ok...heres my take.

Texas A&M to the SEC is a good move for them. The "BIG 12" is about to implode under the weight of Texas, even Oklahoma will only take so much for so long. (I'm a life long Husker fan so I have biases but I'll be the first to call a spade a spade).

I like FSU to the SEC, but I think they have a better situation in the ACC. However, it may actually help recruiting if the move to the SEC. They would have better "marquee match ups" they could use during recruitment.

The Mizzou to SEC is a horrible call. Again, Mizzou needs to get out of the BIG 12, but not to the ACC. Pinkel may think he's a genius recruiter, but no way he gets top to mid level talent recruiting against Florida, Georgia, LSU, etc. If FSU jumps to the ACC, Mizzou and Kansas should look to the ACC. Mizzou's football program (if it stays at the level they have now) could definitely compete with NC, VT, Vandy, Virginia and the rest of the gang. And could you imagine ACC basketball with programs like NC, Duke and the Jayhawks!!

If that were to happen, that would leave Iowa St and Kansas St out in the cold. I could see them going to like the MAC or Mid-Ohio conference. Sure it's mid major, but that's really the talent level they are at. K-St could maybe survive in the Mountain West or WAC.

Then you have Texas, Oklahoma, Okie St, Baylor, Texas Tech left. I think that if A&M and Mizzou leave, Texas goes independent and the rest of the "BIG 12" is left holding the bag. Baylor would probably go Mountain West or WAC. And I could see OU, Ok St and Texas Tech headed to either SEC, ACC or PAC-12.

The lone big "free agent" would be Notre Dame (who I absolutely hate). IF they ever decided to join a conference in football (basketball is already part of Big East) they would most likely join the BIG 10.

Anyway....that's my rant. I'm happy for A&M tho. They will be a great addition to SEC. They just need to get their talent level up now.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
well...don't I have egg on my face now.

I guess the SEC is cool with how things are at the current moment.

Lame.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

Nah, there was so much speculation going on, it was the cover story on espn.com (a close-up of an A&M helmet) saying it was a done deal. With the way the conferences are changing it may just be a matte of time.

Quick question, if he ever heals, is Demarious Thomas any good? Bronco fan if the CU/Colorado thing wasn't apparent enough.

CJ

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
OK so Texas A&M was denied entrance into the SEC, and FSU, Mizzou, and Clemson deny ever even having interest in moving to the SEC. Something smells fishy.

Southeastern Conference presidents and chancellors meeting Sunday elected not to immediately expand from 12 schools, amid various reports citing sources the league would do so.

Texas A&M appears set to join the SEC as its 13th team, but officials from schools such as Clemson, Florida State and Missouri all have denied there has been any conversations with the SEC -- despite reports to the contrary that they are among the candidates to also move.

A statement released by the conference, however, left the door open for future consideration.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I heard on the radio this morning that while A&M is staying put for now, things can and most likely will change in the future. The guest on the program speculated that the SEC will probably try to lure Va Tech or Missouri along with A&M to expand its college football empire. For this reason, it was said that Florida St. and Clemson stand little chance of joining the ranks of the SEC -- at least in the near future.

If A&M does leave the Big 12, it will be interesting to see what happens with Texas. I remember hearing a couple of years ago that Texas had interest in joining the Big Ten (and/or the Big Ten had interest in adding Texas), but haven't heard anything since. With Nebraska bringing the number of teams in the Big Ten to twelve, the most logical choice to make the conference a fourteen team league would be Missouri.

It might seem far-fetched right now, but as a previous poster said, the Big 12 will eventually implode under the weight of Texas should A&M and Missouri both leave the conference.

Add the fact that the plan of the Big Ten is said to involve expanding to sixteen teams and the doors are also open for Oklahoma, Oklahoma St and Notre Dame (as if), just to name a few.

No matter what happens, it appears the college football landscape is about to undergo some major changes -- and soon.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Hi guys, FSU grad here! >>>>------;;;---------> BEAT OU!

hey, UF will do what it takes to not allow us into the SEC, watch.

top topics

join