It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why worry about justice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Do people seek out justice because of their lack of ability to forgive? It seems society is thirsty for justice but why? In terms of justice I mean sending someone to jail or executing someone before trying to help them. It's more like a form of social control so people can try to sleep in peace. I'm not religious but I do agree the the quote "Let those without sin throw the first stone." I agree it would be better to not have people on the streets killing people but I think it is a waste to throw them in a cell and forget about them. How does that make us any better than the criminal? Hating and being angry at people because of what they have done seems illogical because our anger punishes us anyway.

What do you think justice is on a mental level for those who seek it?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It is a way to prevent others from doing the same crimes in the future. I'm sure nobody wants to be randomly murdered so if you punish those that do it than others in the future may not be so inclined to do it. Without Justice there would be no incentive to hold people back from commiting crimes.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Do people seek out justice because of their lack of ability to forgive?

They seek revenge because of that, not justice.

It seems society is thirsty for justice but why? In terms of justice I mean sending someone to jail or executing someone before trying to help them.

Again, are you talking about justice or vengeance? Retribution can be a kind of justice, but is that all there is to justice?

It's more like a form of social control so people can try to sleep in peace.

That’s the job of law enforcement. The justice system in this context exists simply to interpret the law as it applies to a given offence. But does the justice system administer justice?

I think you have to first explain what you mean by ‘justice’.

I'm not religious but I do agree the the quote "Let those without sin throw the first stone." I agree it would be better to not have people on the streets killing people but I think it is a waste to throw them in a cell and forget about them. How does that make us any better than the criminal? Hating and being angry at people because of what they have done seems illogical because our anger punishes us anyway.

Yet again, you seem to be equating retribution – vengeance – with justice. We don’t throw people in gaol just to punish them – we do it to deter them from doing the same thing again (whether this works or not is another question) and also, perhaps more successfully, to deter others from committing similar crimes.

I believe the value of justice is as follows: if it is believed by the majority that wrongdoers shall not get away with wrongdoing, mutual trust and intercourse between people grows and society prospers. If there is no justice, and people come to believe they can get away with wrongdoing, they begin acting in ways that undermine people’s trust in each other. Anarchy is a situation in which no-one dares trust anyone else, and every man must guard his purse and his loved ones with his life.

What do you think justice is on a mental level for those who seek it?

I think it varies, depending on the kind of justice one seeks. Once again I urge you to publish your definition of justice. Then we shall understand better what you are driving at.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Justice - The administering of deserved punishment or reward. -dictionary.com
Vengeance - Punishment inflicted or retribution exacted for an injury or wrong. - google.com
Retribution - Punishment that is considered to be morally right and fully deserved. -google.com

Now all of these definitions can be argued to a degree but for conversation sake I will take definitions at word. They all have punishment in the definition. So in a sense they are all linked together as being apart of the same meaning in the context of the definitions above. What I'm getting at is that the punishment administered these days isn't really constructive. Felons that get released from prison have a high chance of being a repeat offender whether it be rape,murder, etc. Sure people in jail have to sit in a cell away from the outside world but how is that gonna help them? If they aren't given the help they need then they will not change their ways.

I'm not supporting what criminals do and I'm not denying they can and have changed peoples lives forever for the victims of their crimes. I feel some people are more worried about seeking justice as in "an eye for an eye" out of anger which is irrational.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I think justice is used or built in our physche's as filter if you will for vengence. If you feel slighted you feel angry and want your retribution or the person who did you wrong to be punished. So you say lets serve justice upon that person. So i think that justice is the inbetween to vengence where with vengence you willmake your own justice.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
why worry about justice?? well when you take justice away from this world or a society what do you have?? Anarachy? a morally corrupt way of life??

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by American-philosopher

It seems like the world is in anarchy now as it is. What good does it benefit anyone by another person being punished? I'm not supporting that murders run wild, I'm saying we should be more worried about helping people rather than have them suffer for what they did.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

I can agree with that to a point as with the case with Casey Anthony. people should do all they can to help her and not wish her ill or shun her. But when people comit murder or another horrible crime I think a some sort of punishment needs to dealt out. Lets look at children I know when I did something wrong I got punished. this was to teach me that when doing something wrong in this world you are met with a life conseqeunce. This is why i say that for some things there should be consequiences for our actions since we do have freedoms to comit alomost any action we choose fit.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy
I feel some people are more worried about seeking justice as in "an eye for an eye" out of anger which is irrational.

And some people are irrational.

seeking justice is the judgement for what would be the fair penalty for disobeying the law.

Retribution has changed over the years, and it continues to change for the better (depending on the states). More counseling efforts, community service programs, job/trades available for inmates, and in other countries like Norway it is apparently like day care in certain facilities.

You seem to not like the word "punishment". Which you can swap for penalty, sanction, social control, detention - its all the same with different connotations.

edit on 12-8-2011 by juveous because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Justice or law is a cornerstone of life. It defines the result of interactions. Humans are complex so we have a complex justice system. At the core it is about conflict resolution and focus on the difference between competition and conflict. There is a lot of debate and cultural issues that needs to be addressed to find the most effective solutions to complex problems.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Justice is a very important concept that should be upheld at all times. But I agree with you that there are people who are more concerned with Punishment than Justice and this is a negative thing. It fills the heart with hatred and division in the quest for retribution. This can lead to unjust and disproportionate retaliation.

---

Here is a quote you might like:
"But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful." - Friedrich Nietzsche.
edit on 12/8/2011 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Justice - The administering of deserved punishment or reward. – dictionary.com

jus·tice, noun

1. the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause.

2. rightfulness or lawfulness, as of a claim or title; justness of ground or reason: to complain with justice.

3. the moral principle determining just conduct.

4. conformity to this principle, as manifested in conduct; just conduct, dealing, or treatment.

5. the administering of deserved punishment or reward.

dictionary.com

You tendentiously ignore the first five definitions, which have nothing to do with punishment, and fix on the fourth and least important, which does concern punishment. Clearly you want to discuss punishment and revenge, not justice.

Well, I am not. I mistakenly thought you wish to discuss justice, a much more interesting subject.

Have a nice thread.
edit on 12/8/11 by Astyanax because: I decided to temper justice with mercy and not un-flag the thread after all.

new topics

top topics

join