It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul; Let Iran Have the Bomb

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Link
Scary thought, right? My initial reaction was one of fear. "They''ll seek to destroy us! That reaction is possibly the result of listening to a little to much media fearmongering or possible it's justified. If it is justified then what is the best approach to minimize the risk?

In the wake of last night's Iowa Republican debate, the consevative talk show hosts and other media are beginning to weigh in. Glenn Beck characterized Ron Paul as dangerous and an isolationist. He went into a diatribe concerning Isreal's security. Is the current situation in Israel vis a vis Iran analogous to WWII Nazi oppression and genocide? Is Ron Paul a Churchill or a Chamberland?

Rick Santorum said “Iran is not Iceland, Ron. “It’s been at war with us since 1979.

Paul said it is natural for Iran to want a bomb as it is surrounded by countries such as India, Pakistan and Israel which all have one and with China, the United States and Russia all involved in the region. He said the U.S. should not get involved in the country’s internal affairs.

He also said that during the Cold War we still spoke to the Soviet Union, and we should have dialogue with the mullahs too. “This is likely to lead to a sixth war,” said Paul. “Yes they have some militants in Iran, but they are all around the world. Iran can’t reach America, they don’t even have an air force. Iran can’t even make enough gasoline for itself.”

He accused the other candidates of warmongering. “They are building this case just like they did in Iraq, with war propaganda. There was no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, I bet you supported that too,” he said, as Santorum nodded, agreeing he had.

There's a big difference between being an isolationist and a non-interventionist. Dr. Paul's recognizes the ill will that many of America's policies have engendered through out the world and that have made us more likely to be targeted by terrorists..

edit on 12-8-2011 by robyn because: premature post

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by robyn

Why not let them?? If our GAZILLIONS OF DOLLARS are spent on not having an actual working defense system against nuclear weapons, then what the hell are we doing?? Maybe a little grace in the matter would make the tension ease a little between us, if they feel more comfortable with it, so be it.......

ONE QUESTION......

WHO THE **@* ARE WE TO TELL SOMEONE THEY CAN'T HAVE THEM??

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
What the conservative commentators are really saying is:

"But a perceived threat must exist if we are to continue transferring all that taxpayer wealth to our friends in the military industrial complex Ron... don't you realize that!"

the Billmeister

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It is only sane and logical to have this opinion, don't you think. Try putting yourself in the shoes of the Iranian people, constantly being on the knees in front of all their neighbors. Not allowed to do technological advancement in terms of nuclear energy or research, since it can be seen as bomb making. Not being allowed to have the MAD capability, and therefore being in constant fear. Knowing that no matter what you or your country does, you are not safe. Knowing that a country that wages war in many neighboring countries is also the only country sick enough to have used nuclear weapons in war, striking not military targets but civilian targets (cities).

So yes, let them have the bomb, leave their inner politics alone. Demand them to scrap the weapon the same time you scrap yours. That is fair politics.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Billmeister

Yep, you have to keep that threat alive, I understand.....But take a look around, it's not like this is new technology and only the ALL POWERFUL United States are the only country with this technology???

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Ron is right. The formula is like this:

A) We continue to interfere with these countries to support our own interests at their expense.

B) Technology keeps advancing to the point that we cannot possibly hope to prevent their establishment of weapons that can be delivered to the United States.

A+B = C = Millions Die

Take out A and C might happen but its not guaranteed. With A then C is guaranteed. We cannot possibly hope to continue to flex our muscles against all 170+ countries in the world to get our way. Not unless we're willing to mass murder civilians and eliminate their descendants from the face of the Earth. Would you forgive and forget if you were in their shoes or would you spend your entire life demonizing your enemy and searching for retribution?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

The thing is A+C=United States!!!

I am from and always have been a person of the USA, but to say that ANYONE is as close to damaging everything more than US is absolutely absurd!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Its a really touchy issue so I really can't blame people for disagreeing with him, but I still support Ron Paul on this. People need to stop making decisions based entirely on fear. I think North Korea should be a bigger concern than Iran. From what I've seen, the Iranian people aren't the ones lined up on the streets chanting "Death to America!". We should be careful not to burn any bridges with Iran.

And why the # does the CIA even exist if they can't even determine whether or not Iran wants to bomb us? Iran DOES deserve a bomb. They see what's going on around the world as another Cold War. It isn't necessarily a threatening move from them. Iran is basically trying to get its # together and become more civilized. I don't think they really want to start any wars.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

Yep, you have to keep that threat alive, I understand.....But take a look around, it's not like this is new technology and only the ALL POWERFUL United States are the only country with this technology???

That was extreme sarcasm on my part, if that was understood, then I apologize, for I don't quite understand your viewpoint.

the Billmeister

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Its natural for Iran to want the bomb, just like Paul says.

America has invaded Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Yemen, Libya and who knows how many countries we're secretly conducting war with...

If China was occupying and attacking Mexico and Canada then wouldnt you want to have a nuclear deterrent to keep China out of America?

Its the same for Iran. They dont want war, they can't win a war against America. They're not stupid! They want the bomb as a deterrent against US invasion. They're never going to use it. In fact, no one will use nuclear bombs anymore. Not when we have EMP blasts and cyber attacks that could do much more damage to a country.

The nuclear genie is out of the bottle and America cant put it back in again. This is why they keep all their weapon advances secret since the 40s. Its too dangerous to publicize new weapons.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

Iran is conducting public hangings from cranes and stoning women to death and your calling them civilized. Sure let's let em have nukes too.

That's funny

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Bill....My bad, that was not meant as an attack at you by ANY means....I was just conveying a point of there always has to be a threat alive for anything to work!! If the USA "claims" that anyone is an enemy of the USA, then they shouldn't be allowed to do anything!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
IF America spent more time and effort on home defense and security instead of policing everyone else there would be a lot less for jittery folks to crap themselves over.

Perhaps it is time the US raised a "Star Spangled Curtain" around it's territory. But instead of separating itself from non-communist countries it would be separating itself from United Nations sack riding countries.

Just a thought. Let's mind out own business America.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

You are comparing apples to oranges here.......To my recollection, the United States has crimes of this sort daily also and then some......But we can have bombs right???

The last time I checked we drop nukes like they are little kids with M80's just outside having fun.....Stop looking at everything with blinders on......The USA is as guilty if not more of damaging this world than ANYONE ELSE!!!! And the absolute sad thing is, I am a citizen of USA with no way of making a difference!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Why would Iran seek to destroy us... Please.... Don't buy into all the political crap.... Iran is not going to come over here and attack us.... They just wont. Why? Because the Iranian people aren't stupid!

Look, the greatest threat to our country has been the soviet union. They had every chance to destroy us with nukes.... They didn't.....

Look, I'm not going to live in fear like the governments of the world want me to. I am going to be happy, live my life. Go to work. Kiss my girlfriend... You know?

The chances of me being killed by a nuke, terrorist or any act of war,are much worse than my chances of a complete stranger sneaking up on me and pulling my pants down in public.....

In fact...... That has actually happened, so I no longer have to live in fear of that either.

Now, if you want to worry about other countries and live in fear of being killed in war.... Maybe you are in the mood to develop a mental disorder?

Hey, then join those guys telling you to live in fear..... They will be happy to send you to war, and give you something to really be afraid of....

Think about it... Free room and board....well... Not free.. You have to let them break you down, brain wash you and then teach you how to smile as you kill and then be proud of it.... Well.....hmm.... No wonder so many come home with PTSD...

In other words.....There are far more things to be afraid of right here in the US.....

It's time we get over this illogical fear of different cultures and countries ( By we, I mean the US government.... and a few of our citizens as well....)

edit on 12-8-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
IF America spent more time and effort on home defense and security instead of policing everyone else there would be a lot less for jittery folks to crap themselves over.

Perhaps it is time the US raised a "Star Spangled Curtain" around it's territory. But instead of separating itself from non-communist countries it would be separating itself from United Nations sack riding countries.

I wish I could give you 10 stars for this comment!!! This is exactly the point I was trying to convey without being able to word it as fantastic as you did.....Well played sir

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20

Yes, this is one point Ron has tried to make in the past....Forget going over seas and policing everyone...How about we just stay here and...you know...protect our own borders... Maybe... work on our economy....

I mean, come on...It's silly... In this effort to control the world, we are killing ourselves...If we do that.... Then it will have all been pointless anyway...

Iran is not a threat to me. It's not a threat to you either.... What is a threat to us? How about... Our Economy? Perhaps the crime that happens over here?

Let's repair our own country.... and...if we ever figure things out...Then and only then can we tell other countries how to live...... But... We have not figured it out....

Time to come home. lick our wounds and start healing now....

link   

Originally posted by robyn
Glenn Beck characterized Ron Paul as dangerous and an isolationist.

And I characterize Glenn Beck as an idiot. Isolationism may be necessary at critical times. Like when a country is in the midst of financial ruin and blindly continues with insane military expenditures overseas. Like now.

link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Hmmm why would they attack us? Maybe because they said they would?

I don't think allowing a country who says they want to see your destruction have nuclear weapons is a wise idea do you?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

Iran is conducting public hangings from cranes and stoning women to death and your calling them civilized. Sure let's let em have nukes too.

That's funny

We (US) electrocute,gas and inject poison.... whats the difference?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join