It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scholars are actively correcting mistakes in the Bible.....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
yes im sure the bible may have been inspired by "god" once upon a time

First off, it's "God", and secondly, yes, it has been inspired by God, and there are no contradictions in the Bible other than superficial excuses pointed out by men who put little research into it and ignore context completely. Oh how easy it is for God to create a universe, yet he can't deliver a simple message?

but 40 authors and 66+ books

generations of dirty human hands

delete this edit that add this

The message has always been the same, believe Jesus is who He says He is, the Son of God, who lived a perfect life, and died WITHOUT Sin, and resurrected to offer salvation to all who would accept the living God into their soul. That is all that matters.

if any christian was a scientist and he got this as "evidence" surley he would throw it out as hearsay tampered and has lots its merit or any value

but noooo they hold on to it like it is the book of books lol

No, because simple research, or common sense, would eliminate any confusion on the part of the reader. It's only those "believers" who actually put any effort into it who know the truth, the rest, they hear one "mistake" in Bible and will use it against Christians any chance they get, even if they can't prove it themselves.

In other words, this next part:

Why do christian dismiss reason and logic when it comes to this bible does it really have that much power over you .. why why why

I know exactly what you're doing here. Maybe you've heard of "contradictions" in the Bible in another thread, or have personal experience with an "irrational and illogical" Christian, but it doesn't matter. You only present claims, no actual argument.

maybe it just feels so good that nothing else matters espically when u feel like ur going to heaven and anyone who oopposes is going to hell

Honestly, that sounds like a personal problem. I don't know of any Christian who lives high and mighty and condemns people left and right, like you make it out to be. I mean, this sounds like a 13 year old argument. We're all adults here, aren't we?

well screw u =)

I guess not.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Htrowklis82
I can't even begin to count the times I have been told I must do this or that, or believe or behave a certain way.....
Because!
"the Bible tells us so"

As a Christian, I can already tell where your problems lie. You've been told to act perfect, by men who are deeply misinformed. No one is perfect, and trying to be will only lead to failure.

Well, hey, I got some Good News; the Bible clearly states multiple times, the only thing that you must do is to believe Jesus was who He says He was, the Son of God, who came down to Earth to forgive all Sins and offer Salvation to those who would accept Him into their hearts.

That's it. Believe in that with all your heart, and you got your ticket for salvation. Anyone who says otherwise, hasn't read the Bible. It's REALLY that simple.

For Christians this book is the end all be all, without question! There should be questions! Think for yourselves a bit, and investigate what you put your heart so totally in!

I have done research. I question everything. In my honest opinion, the most rational thing a person can do, is try their hardest to find reasons WHY their beliefs are wrong, because a man who believes in something needs know further proof to justify it, it would serve no purpose. However, the man who challenges his beliefs and finds something to contradict them, then he has taken the first steps into knowing the Truth.

As for me, I have searched for Truth, and nothing but the Truth, and it just so happens that nothing challenges my beliefs, no matter how hard I try, no matter all the Atheists I talk with, no matter all the "contradictions" I read through.. Nothing has given me reason to change my beliefs.
edit on 12-8-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
As a Christian, I can already tell where your problems lie.

LOL

Well, hey, I got some Good News; the Bible clearly states multiple times, the only thing that you must do is to believe Jesus was who He says He was, the Son of God, who came down to Earth to forgive all Sins and offer Salvation to those who would accept Him into their hearts.

Oh, it's that simple is it? So, I can go out tonight and murder people, and then all I have to do is simply ask for God's forgiveness and repent? WOW. You truly are a master of wisdom and intellect.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enlightenme1111

Oh, it's that simple is it?

Yes, it is.

So, I can go out tonight and murder people, and then all I have to do is simply ask for God's forgiveness and repent?

And here's where you twist my words around to make me look foolish. You see, even if you just stole a pencil (which is a sin), you don't just go and say, "Hey, God, can you forgive me?"

Not how it works.

True repentance is required, else what would stop you from killing again? Repentance is the desire to change, to stop what you are doing and redirect your life. Repentance brings you to Christ, and Christ offers Salvation.

edit on 12-8-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
You will believe what you want to believe. If I went crazy with rage and killed a few people, and then I "truly" asked for repentance as you say I can, with all intentions of never doing it again, I can then be welcomed into the gates of paradise. There are numerous logical counters to your "wisdom"

What if I went crazy with rage a second time, and then I asked God for forgiveness, "truly" meaning to never repeat the mistake again, but I kept doing it over and over? Each time I asked God to forgive my horrible act, and I truly did repent.

When does the cycle break? At what point can I not repeat the mistakes? Is there a limited number of times I can screw up and ask for forgiveness? Because you see my fair sage, you can't answer that, because if you were to tell me that God's forgiveness knows no bounds, which I know you will, then that opens the door for horrible acts to be committed under the guise of Christianity - which, in fact, has happened throughout history. I'm sure the Crusaders that murdered Muslims did so thinking it was what God wanted.

Religion is a propaganda tool designed to control and manipulate. Once more "Christians" like you wake up to that fact, the better off the world will be.

edit on 13-8-2011 by Enlightenme1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seektruthalways1
Just proves once again, man cannot tamper with the sacred texts. Why do you think the Name of our Heavenly Father YAHUWAH YHWH was taken out? Hmm?

In short, it is the same reason you see many Jews type, "G-d"-- it is piety and honoring the Holy Name.

Why do you think the true Name of the Messiah Yahuwshuwah was taken out?

I am unaware of any ancient manuscripts which contain that mystical form of the Name. If none does, then one cannot reasonable charge that it has been taken out. I could be wrong.

Is it the Bible or The Scriptures? The word Bible doesnt even exist in the 'Bible'. Its quoted as 'Scripture'.

The word "Bible," of course, means "book" -- referring to the collection of canonized scripture. I think you are correct that most mis-use the word.

Who do think was messing around with this stuff? The Catholic Church since 70 CE.

Keep in mind that in AD 70, there was no "Catholic Church" as is commonly meant now-- there was only the one Church in the year A.D. 70, and the New Testament was not complete, and certainly not canonized into the present form by then.

It was not until late when then new pseudepigrapha, mostly gnostic (e.g., The Gospel According to Thomas), writings began appearing that the church closed the canon with what was only well known and accepted throughout the local gatherings that the Church, collectively, created "The Bible." Writings such as The Shepard of Hermes, The First Letter of Clement, The Didache, and others were read in Churches but not considered Apostolic, but had nearly been included in the Canon. The obviously false and new were easily rejected without debate from any corner of the church-- few, if any congregations were using them.

The Church was under persecution for almost all of the first 300 years-- that is, during the time which the New Testament writings were written and collected, and much later canonized. It was defensively seeking to survive and preserve the teachings-- sometimes dieing for the right to do so.

The Hebrew scriptures were already quite well preserved by AD 70-- copies in synagogues through the world, the same which the Christians also recognize-- including the Apocrypha which Catholics, Orthodox, Anglos and many other denominations continue to use as they have done and which is contained in the original King James of 1611, but subsequently removed by others.

Manuscript evidence of tampering is virtually non-existent.

Now to say the original sacred texts ie the dead sea scrolls are wrong, based on what? A few people in a room who didnt see them write it are saying its wrong? Doesnt prove much, other than Scholars still dont know what they are translating, and reading.

Well... we would need to presume much-- too much-- to suggest that those scholars who make it their life's work do not know what they are reading and translating. Down in the details, we see persons with a doctrinal position, none-the-less translating scripture authentically despite the temptation to support their own position by mis-translation. That means something, I think.

Protestant translations accurately use "eat my body" instead of "consume" because it is the best word from the original. Catholic translation refer to "brothers" instead of "cousins" of Jesus despite the awkwardness that provides-- because "brothers" is the best word. That is integrity of man in scholarship showing up.
edit on 13-8-2011 by Frira because: doubled the wrong digit

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

You will believe what you want to believe. If I went crazy with rage and killed a few people, and then I "truly" asked for repentance as you say I can, with all intentions of never doing it again, I can then be welcomed into the gates of paradise. There are numerous logical counters to your "wisdom"

What if I went crazy with rage a second time, and then I asked God for forgiveness, "truly" meaning to never repeat the mistake again, but I kept doing it over and over? Each time I asked God to forgive my horrible act, and I truly did repent.

When does the cycle break? At what point can I not repeat the mistakes? Is there a limited number of times I can screw up and ask for forgiveness? Because you see my fair sage, you can't answer that, because if you were to tell me that God's forgiveness knows no bounds, which I know you will, then that opens the door for horrible acts to be committed under the guise of Christianity - which, in fact, has happened throughout history. I'm sure the Crusaders that murdered Muslims did so thinking it was what God wanted.

Religion is a propaganda tool designed to control and manipulate. Once more "Christians" like you wake up to that fact, the better off the world will be.

Begging the question, if a person continues living in Sin with no intention of even TRYING to change, they haven't really changed to begin with, have they?

You also state, "then that opens the door for horrible acts to be committed under the guise of Christianity", which implies people who would try and take advantage of forgiveness - that doesn't follow your former example of going "crazy with rage", someone which would imply has a serious mental issue. The latter example would be someone trying to lie their way into heaven, by committing "horrible acts under the guise of Christianity", but let me tell you, good sir, that Men they may fool, but God knows the truth in their hearts.

The Crusaders also have nothing to do with my point. Whether they believed they were under the guidance of God or not is of no relation to their personal salvation, because works don't do anything for you, because no one is perfect.

Your own logic is flawed, I'd suggest you re-think what it is you're actually trying to prove, because it isn't working. But, you did say so yourself, "You'll believe what you'll want to believe", and I have no intention of trying to change your mind on anything, only to help you understand better.
edit on 13-8-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

and I have no intention of trying to change your mind on anything, only to help you understand better.

This is the attitude that is your downfall. Your arrogance and faith that you believe without question what other men tell you. It is why this world is in the state it is. Belief without questioning. Good luck to you.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

and I have no intention of trying to change your mind on anything, only to help you understand better.

This is the attitude that is your downfall. Your arrogance and faith that you believe without question what other men tell you. It is why this world is in the state it is. Belief without questioning. Good luck to you.

You would prefer it if I questioned my beliefs? To be honest, I would not believe in what I do today if I HADN'T questioned my beliefs. You only presume that because I am a Christian, that I'm just like the rest of the ones you've met. You know, that typical "better-then-you" attitude, that I go to church every Sunday and consume the so-called "lies" they are feeding us without question.

Let me tell you, those with belief do not need proof to further their faith, but instead, should look for reasons why their beliefs are wrong. To me, I believe in God, fully and without doubt. Would I need reason to extend that belief? It would serve no purpose.

At the same time, for example, a person who doesn't believe God exists, upon hearing superficial "contradictions" in the Bible, would immediately jump at the opportunity to announce to the world that the God they follow doesn't exist. Circular logic exists on both sides, whether one wants to admit it or not. One who assumes "Religion" is bull#, and studies/researches it under the previous assumption, comes to the conclusion that.. surprise, Religion is bull#. Of course, I use that term Religion loosely, I am not a religious man by any means, but that's not my point.

I do agree with you, however. Arrogance of man can be found at the root of many problems that exist today, but I can tell you truly, to say that you are not guilty of the same thing only shows to the rest of us how immature of a person you really are. That's the argument of a 14 year old, to presume that he is in the right, and everyone else is in the wrong.

Whether you like it or not, disbelief without questioning is equally as wrong as belief without questioning, and I wonder, how did you come to be in disbelief?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

That's the argument of a 14 year old, to presume that he is in the right, and everyone else is in the wrong.

I agree with this.

I also agree that committing to one particular theory of reality,and it's causation (if any) and excluding all other possibilities, is the logic path of infant.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
This article is a joke. Are we really suppose to take this seriously? These guys provided no evidence to what they claim are mistakes. Sure they quoted the Book of Malachi and others, but which verses are they talking about? Not only that, but they are choosing to go with the Aleppo Codex version for their work instead of what was written in the Dead Sea Scrolls which are alot older.

But the funniest part is that none of us living now will ever be able to read their final translation because "the final product will be complete a little over 200 years from now."

Some people are trying to hard to disprove the Bible. If it's a fair tale then why bother putting so much time and money into debunking it?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join