It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retail Sales Rise 0.5%, The Biggest Gain Since March

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

U.S. retail sales in July posted their biggest gain since March, tempering fears that the world's largest economy might be slipping back into recession.

Sales climbed 0.5 percent, in line with analyst forecasts and following an upwardly revised 0.3 percent gain in June.

Consumer spending accounts for two thirds of U.S. economic activity, and the Commerce Department data released on Friday indicates the third quarter was off to a decent start.

WOO HOOOO! PLASMA TEE VEE HERE I COME!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

Have you noticed how the government is releasing data lately since the markets downfall and ups and downs trying to show that we are in a positive economic phase and not falling?

I call it propaganda, first the jobs numbers, then the housing and now the retail.

Nothing to see here, the markets are peachy and the economy is just fine.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Most of that is back to school supplies and clothes which can easily cost a few hundred dollars per kid.

If its up in September that would mean something, but a small spike in July and August are no trend.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Bet you it's a lie and since the banks are'nt putting up the interest rates until 2013, they'll get you through increased insurance rates and bank fees.

I agree, school uniforms and supplies for start of school but also many Australians purchasing goods online to the USA because of the exchange rate but that should'nt pose a 0.05 increase but much rather a 0.02%.
edit on 12-8-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

I agree. Between the 15 supplies required (for kindergarten)..clothes and shoes the bill can be in the upper 100's per kid. We didn't get our "tax free" holiday this year either.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

OMG.. that ALMOST beats month over month inflation! Oh wait, no it doesn't.....

Meaning negative actual profit growth.
Yay for stupid reports!

I concure with Margie.. the Gov is highlighting the best of the best reports ...... and they all still suck.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

hmm people shop like folk of hysteria sheeps and then a few days later they return the things they bought
however i dont see how Retail Sales Rise 0.5% is good news.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Actually your are right, my son's girlfriend works in retail for Dillard's and at least here in the south no only they return the clothes but after is been worn, she said that you can see the deodorant stains on it.

That is pitiful and it happens all the time.

Rockpuck

After the bad bond sell they government is doing anything they can to show that nothing is wrong with our economy.

edit on 12-8-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't sales also rise due to the rising of prices? There has been no shortage of rising prices on absolutely everything the last few months.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I'm seeing inflation, back to school, and the twice a month paychecks coming into play. For all we know, folks cashed in their stocks and bought beans and bullets

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Charting The WTF Economy

America's WTF (certainly not to be confused with Winning The Future) economy summarized in one easy chart.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
People buying sh*t they don't need with money they don't have. It seems some people are still living in an extinct lifestyle.

Inflation will eventually drive the consumption economy to the graveyard.

Reserve status and economic imperialism are the only reason a nation can consume tremendous amounts without producing anything.

I live abroad, and so I only watch the news in snippets on the net. The Iowa debate reminded me how detached the US is from reality. Hearing those fools (excluding Dr. Paul) talk is terrifying. What is even more terrifying is that people listen to them.

I don't want the economic collapse of the US, but I am not sure we can change without it. That KGB agent was right. We are a demoralized society.

Don't worry. Buy something to make yourself feel all better.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Some of the apparent "disconnect" between confidence which is decreasing and spending which is increasing might be due to fear of future inflation. There was a joke make above about guns and bullets. For ATSers that is very possible. For others though, if they are somewhat aware, they may very well be making certain substantial purchases in advance of suspected inflation.

Been thinking about getting a new couch?
Know the kitchen floor needs doing?

Things at the top of the wants column but the bottom of the needs column are probably being purchased "before the price goes up".

Or maybe that's just how I justify my shopping!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

Only if similar volume is maintained. But higher prices means people are buying less items.

top topics

join