It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's Picking Your Berries? America's DISGRACEFUL little secret!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Forget Asia, South America and Africa....Did you know children as young as five are working in America's COMMERCIAL (read not family) farms?

Who's Picking Your Berries? Feds Find Young Children on Strawberry Farms

Nearly two years after ABC News cameras uncovered young children toiling away in Michigan's blueberry fields, federal investigators have found yet another disturbing example of illegal use of child labor in the berry industry.

Three southwest Washington strawberry growers were fined $73,000 last week after the U.S. Department of Labor found children between the ages of six and 11 working in their strawberries fields in June.

While an exemption in the federal child labor law allows 12- and 13-year-olds to work for unlimited hours on large agricultural operations, children under the age of 12 are strictly prohibited from working under similar conditions.

"We're talking about kids who are picking 100 to 200 pounds of berries a day...."

According to the article the companies are George Hoffman Farms, Berry Good Farms and Columbia Fruit LLC.

See also, ABC News Investigation: The Blueberry Children

Walmart and the Kroger supermarket chain have severed ties with one of the country's major blueberry growers after an ABC News investigation found children, including one as young as five-years-old, working in its fields.

The children were discovered at the Adkin Blue Ribbon Packing Company, in South Haven, Michigan, this summer by graduate school students working with ABC News as fellows with the Carnegie Corporation.

I had no idea this happened on a widespread basis in the US. Did you?

So much for criticizing China.

What a freaking disgrace!

edit on 12-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Were the children forced to work? Or were they just forced to go with their parents to work? Little kids should`ve been in school regardless.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by StratosFear

I guess you didn't really read any of the above.

They are forced to work.

The more I look into this, the more shocking this becomes for me.

Hundreds of thousands of children routinely work long hours on the US commercial farms often endangering their health.

The outstanding fact about this issue is that [much of this] is legal.

Hundreds of thousands???

Unbelievable.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
It's quite easy to get away with because they are immigrants.
The immigrants are brought to this country illegally, so no documentation. Therefore you have workers that you don't have to pay, that actually believe they are working for their future making less then what I can pick up recycling............so sad

Even worse they believe they're in a good country, I really want to tell them to go back, they'd be better off in their own country.

+6 more 
link   
It's not shocking. It's capitalism.

Lower the cost of production, no matter the cost to the labor or quality. Keep prices to consumer the same. Profit.

link   
More:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
It's not shocking. It's capitalism.

If that were true, there wouldn't be child labor in China or much elsewhere in the world.

Capitalism isn't to blame....moral depravity and poverty are to blame...

The fact is, as a species, much of humanity tends to think of their children as chattel.

Plain and simple.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
WOW!

i´m really shocked but on the other hand not that surprised.

forcing someone to do anything is wrong, forcing a kid to do anything is just plain sick

SnF for bringing this to my attention!
(allthough topics like this make me feel physically sick, people need to know)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Wasn't the Republican party fighting for kids rights to work????

It's all apart of there plan to undermine the Unions and labor laws that have been in place for a century.

I see why they are against education. Looks like the kids are immigrants, does this somehow make it ok???

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
If we'd address the real problem of the illegal immigration and prevent these children from being brought here... then perhaps such "atrocities" wouldn't occur... I can assure you that there aren't any American children out there.

The more disgusting part is that the lives they are leading on these farms is still preferable to the conditions they'd face in their own country.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Sorry guy, i couldn`t watch the video on my computer at the moment thats why i asked.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
God bless America. Land of the free. Where children and families can make a living on family farms. God bless us. We're better then anyone else in the world. There is no way we can force people to labor. God bless America.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
This happens in a lot of countries. While I agree that it's a disgraceful and vile act, I fail to see how this reflects negatively on America as a whole.

Furthermore, if the article you posted is accurate, then it appears the Department of Labor is dealing with the problem - as they should.

Ultimately, some people are just stupid. A few stupid people violating child labor laws doesn't make the U.S. the new China.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthChrisious

USA Hypocritical looks about right!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthChrisious

Originally posted by DarthChrisious
...I fail to see how this reflects negatively on America as a whole.

Furthermore, if the article you posted is accurate, then it appears the Department of Labor is dealing with the problem - as they should.

...A few stupid people violating child labor laws doesn't make the U.S. the new China.

I guess you missed some material. Otherwise, I fail to understand how you could characterize hundreds of thousands of children routinely work long hours on the US commercial farms a few stupid people violating child labor laws...

Or is your point that because much of it is actually legal in the US, it's ok?

Ridiculous viewpoint, imo.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Cant see to much wrong with this IMO, I as a child was routinely sent to my cousins in the country to pick "Purdie's" it was hot and tiresome work but i was well fed and watered and even paid, I earned £10.00 a week (tax free) meet loads of friends and even saved enough to buy my first tool kit. As a comparison to the "youths" in the UK stealing to get there luxury's instead of grafting for it like the rest of us, It installed the true meaning of earning your monies, Just my two cents worth... And don't be to shocked when you have to pack your own kids out "the farm" to bring in some extra monies, this recession is far from over...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Another smear thread against the US.. Are these kids orphans? Where are their parents? Give me a break..

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

Well said CB, Their parents are probably operating the machinery and installing in their children "This where you end up if you don't do your studies". And are grateful that they have more income coming in.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

Originally posted by foxhoundone
And don't be to shocked when you have to pack your own kids out "the farm" to bring in some extra monies, this recession is far from over...

Quite possibly true... But we are nowhere near the conditions required to justify such child exploitation now, in my opinion.

reply to post by CherubBaby

Originally posted by CherubBaby
Another smear thread against the US.

I guess you don't read my posts very much, do you.

Originally posted by CherubBaby
Are these kids orphans? Where are their parents? Give me a break..

Do you apply similar logic in the areas of child physical and sexual abuse? 'It's only the responsibility of the parents...'

With your attitude, no wonder there is a widespread problem of child labor and exploitation in this country. :shk:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I didn't make this clear. I don't believe it is true. In all my long life I have never seen or heard of such a thing in the US and find it strange it comes at a time like this when everyone hates or blames the US for everything..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join